Author Topic: Another garage door opener mod  (Read 2227 times)

Excavator

Another garage door opener mod
« on: May 04, 2012, 08:21:59 PM »
I was going to use the flash-to-pass button for my door opener but got skeered of the wiring (don't like messing with wires much).

Decided to drill a hole in my glove box door and install a button.  :o Only spent about $2.49 for some sticky back velcro.

The button was lifted from an old flashlight and installed into the glovebox lid sealing it from the inside, glued a small plastic bead onto the door opener button and stuck it to the inside of the glove box so that the bead is up in the new button. Easy removal for battery change and I didn't have to splice any wires........

Offline JS_racer

Re: Another garage door opener mod
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 04:23:46 AM »
interesting, i just keep a mini remote in the glove box, fits between the legs for the lid. 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 06:20:45 AM »
Nice job Excavator.

I thought about doing something like that with mine. I even thought about using a microswitch and mounting it in such a way that I could just press the release button for the glove box lid to trigger the switch. In the end my laziness won out and I bought a mini remote for $5 and velcroed it to the underside of the lid.

[smg id=239]
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 07:46:00 AM »
Conrad, where did you get a mini remote for $5.00    I just lay mine in the glove box also. 

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 08:19:37 AM »
Conrad, where did you get a mini remote for $5.00    I just lay mine in the glove box also.

I bought it on Amazon. I had to do a bit of research to make sure that the mini remote would work with my older Stanley garage door opener. It works great, even has a longer range than the full sized remote that came with the opener.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 11:02:00 AM »
Thank you, I'll start looking for one.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 06:46:27 PM »
Nice job Excavator.

I thought about doing something like that with mine. I even thought about using a microswitch and mounting it in such a way that I could just press the release button for the glove box lid to trigger the switch. In the end my laziness won out and I bought a mini remote for $5 and velcroed it to the underside of the lid.

[smg id=239]

Same here.