Author Topic: Clutch hydraulics  (Read 6255 times)

Offline Stavee

Clutch hydraulics
« on: February 28, 2015, 05:39:50 PM »
Back on the old forum BDF had an issue with the clutch slave cylinder. Brian what where the symptoms ?  I just went out to cycle the fluids and had no clutch actuation at all.
First bike '38 DKW

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Clutch hydraulics
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 11:08:23 PM »
Wow, long time, no hear from you Ralph. Good to hear from you even if it is because of a problem.

Yeah, that is one of the symptoms- no hydraulic action and the system will not bleed- it just will not draw fluid into the master cylinder. Another symptom lurking behind that first one is that if and when the system does move some fluid, and it <seems> to be being bled normally, it never quite flushes the system of air and the brakes will feel soft, and the clutch changes engagement point depending on the temperature of the slave cylinder.

The cure for me was a power bleeder. It sucks fluid through the system fast enough to take all the air out, and it is the only reliable way I have found to fully and correctly bleed the hydraulics on a C-14. As I have said quite a few times, the unit is expensive but worth more than what it costs as it ends the nonsense and nuisance that dealing with the hyd. systems on this bike is, at least far too much of the time.

Others have had some success with leaving the bleeder open overnight, or by reverse bleeding the system by hanging a bottle of brake fluid well above the bike and feeding it through the slave cylinder (or brake caliper) bleeder(s) but both of those are 'hit or miss', take overnight, and usually make a mess.

Brian

Back on the old forum BDF had an issue with the clutch slave cylinder. Brian what where the symptoms ?  I just went out to cycle the fluids and had no clutch actuation at all.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Stavee

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 08:30:56 PM »
Thanks Brian that confirms what I remember.. I have the power bleeder and have had the frustration before of dealing with the hydraulics. Guess I just need to clear out the garage and get to it..
This is my latest endever distracting me from riding.
First bike '38 DKW

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 09:03:36 PM »

Nothing wrong with that!
You can pull a 2G turn on a whim. No real speed limits. No traffic. No big dique flash-mobiles jockeying for position on I-25.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Stavee

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 09:18:41 PM »

Nothing wrong with that!
You can pull a 2G turn on a whim. No real speed limits. No traffic. No big dique flash-mobiles jockeying for position on I-25.

Rick

You should know you were the instigator in charge.
First bike '38 DKW

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 05:58:39 PM »
Tap those brake lines with a screwdriver. Move those bubbles.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 01:37:15 PM »
Thanks Brian that confirms what I remember.. I have the power bleeder and have had the frustration before of dealing with the hydraulics. Guess I just need to clear out the garage and get to it..

Sweet! I had a 7AC with an O-200 for 16 years. I miss it. I did my tail dragger check out on a 115 hp Citabra. Don't remember which model.

Offline steveb19

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 03:28:16 AM »
Used to fly a pals Super Decathlon many years ago -very nice plane . At the time I owned a Wittman Tailwind

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 07:52:26 AM »
Used to fly a pals Super Decathlon many years ago -very nice plane . At the time I owned a Wittman Tailwind

Wittman Tailwind is a pretty rare homebuilt. I remember reading a magazine in the 60's talking about the Rockford Fly In, pre-Oshkosh, and an article on the Tailwind dreaming about the day I could fly. First I ever even heard about homebuilt aircraft.

Offline Stavee

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 08:26:03 PM »
Well I fixed the clutch Thanks Brian! Also sold the bike and am building a Tailwind to chase down Cozy's ::)
Not mine but you get the idea.
First bike '38 DKW

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 09:58:31 PM »
Well I fixed the clutch Thanks Brian! Also sold the bike and am building a Tailwind to chase down Cozy's ::)

Kewl! But I hear a certain Cozy is installing pants to get a 180kt cruise ;) Still can't beat your fuel economy though :)

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org