Author Topic: A very interesting use for a drone  (Read 25539 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
A very interesting use for a drone
« on: July 23, 2015, 06:12:30 PM »
It absolutely, unequivocally, HAD to happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI--wFfipvA

Kids, huh? I would have used a M1911 myself but hey, we all know kids today are idiots.  ;) ;D

Very, very cool. And at the moment, perfectly legal. But that will change very quickly, first on a state level and then nationally (and internationally although most countries already restrict handguns, so they are often illegal with or without being mounted to anything).

Drones in general have really kicked the proverbial door wide open regarding legislation because they have the potential to cause significant damage to life and property and because there is nothing inherently wrong or illegal about them (at the moment). I can make a couple of obvious predictions though: Drones will be heavily regulated, possibly including licensing (of the owner, the drone or both) and there will be controls put in them to limit their actions (just as there are anti-  piracy chips in all Blu Ray players, required by law). Secondly, there are going to be a LOT of drones in the future because they are useful and hey, they are cool. Third: there will be 'drone deaths' as a result in the future. It is inevitable and cannot be prevented, merely lessened and controlled, exactly the same way automobile deaths have been lessened and controlled but not eliminated. I think this is going to be a fascinating legal / moral / rights issue to watch unfold.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: A very interesting use for a drone
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 07:21:38 AM »
Privately owned radio controlled aircraft have been around for more than half a century. But for reasons I don't fully understand (maybe it's due to youtube), radio controlled quad copters have caught the public eye and now "something has got to be done about them...". I guarantee that there have been guns fired from RC model aircraft more than 50 years ago. I saw someone in the 60's rig bottle rockets on an RC aircraft (didn't work very well as the airplane out flew the rockets). Not much of a leap from there to a tube with propellent and projectile. I predict that this will fan the flames of the brewhaha over "drones" and possible legislation but bathtubs will still kill infinitely more people than drones.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 07:53:00 AM »
It is amazing how stable the drone is in light of the recoil from the pistol. 

Drones are being used for so many useful endeavors today and have evolved far beyond a hobby.

Some endeavors legal, and some not so legal.  Can't wait to try out the flying motorcycle quadcopter. 

https://youtu.be/mNkLjv--q7Y
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 08:49:33 AM »
The three huge differences between current drones and previous remotely controlled air vehicles are 1) drones are stable and 'self flying', with on- board gyros and GPS. 2) They are nearly silent (compare this to a typical size '60' remote control helicopter, using a 0.6 cu. in. alcohol fueled engine). 3) They have outstanding, real- time video telemetry systems.

Anyone can fly a drone, that is not the case for R/C aircraft, especially helicopters, which require a significant amount of skill. R/C aircraft cannot self- fly, and must be in relatively close physical range of the pilot so that he / she can not only see the vehicle but see what it is doing (attitude, direction, etc.).

The FAA has been working on regulating drones for some time and a ruling is expected shortly. This is because little Johnny can get his new drone, set it to go to 500' autonomously, and send it up into the path of people- carrying aircraft landing at the airport next door.... not good. Drones using lithium battery power can lift significant amounts of weight and again have excellent video on board; those two together make a rather effective weapon when the drone is used to drop objects onto 'stuff'. This most recent development with a drone carrying and firing a pistol has much more possibilities; given a video system and the drone's ability to very accurately hover, it is only a matter of time before this combination is used as a weapons platform.

I certainly do not foresee millions of drones shooting millions of people or causing international incidents or anything of the kind. But I do believe drone accidents, drone 'on purposes' and other assorted problems will show up as drones become more commonplace.

All of that said, I am in no way anti- drone and frankly think they are the coolest things since tomatoes in cans. If or when Amazon gets the green- light to deliver products with drones, I will be the first one to order the cheapest thing that a drone will deliver and wait outside for it to appear. :-)  I am merely saying that along with drones will come drone problems, exactly the same way cars brought us car accidents and electrical power brought us electrical fires and accidental electrocution. Both of those last two are considered more beneficial than harmful so we tolerate the damage they do to reap the benefits they yield, and I think it will be the exact same way with drones. But I also believe they will be regulated and controlled in the future simply because they do open up new avenues of.... potential miss-adventure.

Brian

Privately owned radio controlled aircraft have been around for more than half a century. But for reasons I don't fully understand (maybe it's due to youtube), radio controlled quad copters have caught the public eye and now "something has got to be done about them...". I guarantee that there have been guns fired from RC model aircraft more than 50 years ago. I saw someone in the 60's rig bottle rockets on an RC aircraft (didn't work very well as the airplane out flew the rockets). Not much of a leap from there to a tube with propellent and projectile. I predict that this will fan the flames of the brewhaha over "drones" and possible legislation but bathtubs will still kill infinitely more people than drones.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 11:19:22 AM »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 02:04:48 PM »
If armed drones aren't illegal, then I can build a fighter drone to shoot down a$$hole drones.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 05:15:29 PM »
 :thumbs: :goodpost: Best idea I've heard yet..  Why not a drone that can fire an EMP and scramble the electronics of the target?  Hmmm, while the feds don't really like civilian weapons drones, they will absolutely hate an EMP firing drone.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 06:41:49 PM »
So, what defense do we have against this? As civilians, folks can conceal carry legally,
but firing handguns in the air isn't very wise. 410 loads in one or two models is available,
but unless you've got a screw-on 28" barrel  taped to your leg, you won't have a prayer
of penetrating it, no less reaching it.
So, anybody in the market for a Kevlar umbrella??
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 07:24:34 PM »
Another great idea!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 12:50:09 PM »
In the end, there IS NO defense against this. And it will be done in the future simply because it can be done. Inexpensive, [no skill required] drones can be purchased easily and now they have been weaponized; there is no way to un- ring that bell. I do not want to give anyone any ideas, and I am sure I am not but how long can it be before there are 'suicide drones' that are made to do nothing but damage personnel and property?

As I said, we now have (possess the ability to make) drones and there is no turning back. A gov't could make them outright illegal and yet they will still show up, and again, I believe weaponized. I mean car bombs are illegal too but that does not seem to be enough to eliminate them.

And I believe drones will prove useful to society overall. Therefore, we will tolerate the risk because it comes with more benefits, exactly the same way automobiles do. And besides all that, virtually all of us on this forum ride motorcycles simply because it is enjoyable but I think all rational persons would have to admit riding comes with increased risk that we accept.

But as far as an outright defense, especially one that is total or even close? I do not believe there is one....

Brian

So, what defense do we have against this?

<snip>

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 08:07:54 AM »
This is a group of people that ride motorcycles. And in this case a pretty fast motorcycle. Somebody do that math. I don't have any data but I will take a WAG. Your probably 1,000,000,000 times more likely to be hurt riding your motorcycle then getting shot by a drone.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 08:11:56 AM »
This is a group of people that ride motorcycles. And in this case a pretty fast motorcycle. Somebody do that math. I don't have any data but I will take a WAG. Your probably 1,000,000,000 times more likely to be hurt riding your motorcycle then getting shot by a drone.

Yep.

For now.

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 08:30:13 AM »

And long  may that hold true  :salute:

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 05:40:35 PM »
It absolutely, unequivocally, HAD to happen.

LOL. I suppose it DID have to happen, didn't it?... :o

I hear about these things in the news all the time, but I haven't been paying all that much attention to them.

Hey Brian, suppose you could program one to stack fire wood?...

Or shovel snow and carry it away to keep the banks down...LOL>

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 05:45:36 PM »
Don't you have day laborers hanging at the Waffle house in the mornings? Work pretty cheap for cash.  8)

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 05:56:16 PM »
Don't you have day laborers hanging at the Waffle house in the mornings? Work pretty cheap for cash.  8)

Hahaha...nossir, we certainly do not...lol.

They were interviewing farmers on the radio the other day...can't find workers to pick berries or apples, or whatever.
All our ball fields and parks have grass that's knee high, and the lines on the streets need to be painted...

But, the locals get cranky when they start seeing too many TFW's around (Temporary Foreign Workers)...or Filipinos.

Meanwhile, we have chronic 25% "youth" unemployment...LOL.
The world is a funny place.

Now...about that Waffle House...I'm suddenly craving bacon and eggs...lol.

Cheers,
Rem

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 06:20:50 PM »
TFWs, That's a new one. Still IAs around here.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 07:29:54 PM »
I see a TFW and think WTF.

Offline twowheeladdict

My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 07:20:52 AM »
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......