Author Topic: A very interesting use for a drone  (Read 25539 times)

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
Re: A very interesting use for a drone
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 09:31:31 AM »
Just the tip of the iceberg for drone issues. Imagine a fleet packed with C4 in a city? Just a fleet packed with 9MM's would ruin a day at the park wouldn't it? How do you protect the public from crap like this and let the real hobbyists enjoy a really cool toy?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2015, 11:34:00 AM »
And that right there is the entire problem: it is a cool toy, and even a cool working device (taking video of, say, down a chimney to do a flue inspection and a million other jobs) that has now been weaponized. The drone has not changed in the least but its potential use(s) has, or at least its potential has been shown to the world. As I said earlier in this thread, drones are here to stay and now they will always have the potential, exactly as you mentioned, to be used for some fairly scary purposes.  The real, final problem is that I do not think they can ever be fully curbed, controlled or limited....

But I also think the privacy issue is even more complex and interesting and it will take our legal and judicial system years or decades to work through.

Brian

Just the tip of the iceberg for drone issues. Imagine a fleet packed with C4 in a city? Just a fleet packed with 9MM's would ruin a day at the park wouldn't it? How do you protect the public from crap like this and let the real hobbyists enjoy a really cool toy?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2015, 01:09:18 PM »
I would be all for a law making it illegal to murder someone with a drone. Oh wait...

Now I absolutely agree with your statement regarding privacy being an even more complex issue.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2015, 01:22:00 PM »
I would be all for a law making it illegal to murder someone with a drone. Oh wait...

Now I absolutely agree with your statement regarding privacy being an even more complex issue.
...and if they don't like the person they murder with the drone it could be a hate crime.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2015, 05:20:58 PM »

Drones that can carry the payload to do real damage are going to be very costly.  The drones that are carrying max payload can only fly a few minutes.  They will get there though.  There are people already devising countermeasures to weaponized drones.

I wouldn't be surprised if serial numbers and registration are coming to a courthouse near you. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2015, 05:35:05 PM »
Like I said years ago before the word drone was mainstream, they will be the next technology storm to catch the world by surprise.

Choose your investments wisely, and naysayers that bet against technology never win  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2015, 08:56:42 AM »
I do not think anyone has said anything negative about drones, at least in this thread. Personally, I think they are simply fantastic little pieces of technology.

But such sophistication comes with negative potential (not saying it is a negative product overall) sometimes, and in this case there are so many <potential> negative facets that it is kind of overwhelming. Especially when coupled with the fact that we have no laws or any type of controls in place to deal with those negative parts.

Like I said, cars are a wonderful thing but they also kill 30K plus people in the US every year. And no one is trying to ban them (as far as I know) but the simple fact is that auto deaths are the result of having autos in the first place; now that we have [way cool] drones, there are going to be drone problems, and unfortunately, in the end, deaths as a direct result.

Brian

Like I said years ago before the word drone was mainstream, they will be the next technology storm to catch the world by surprise.

Choose your investments wisely, and naysayers that bet against technology never win  ;D
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2015, 04:18:55 PM »
Looks like these things may be an even bigger problem than the US outbreak of Ebola (which has killed..... well, it did not kill anyone in the US but that in no reason not to panic and overreact  ;) ): http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/01/us/drone-airliner-jfk/

Laws, education, harsh penalties and all the oversight possible in the world will not solve this problem. There are ways to address it but they reek of George Orwell's 1984, and I suspect these remedies are coming to a drone near you.

Brian

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2015, 05:52:24 PM »
Not entirely accurate...Dr. Martin Salia's death marks the second U.S. death from Ebola
Thomas Eric Duncan, a Liberian, was the first to die in the U.S...

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2015, 06:48:21 PM »
But that was not part of the US outbreak of Ebola, that was part of the western African outbreak of Ebola: both men came to the US already infected with Ebola. I am talking about the 'US Ebola outbreak' that so many were so very concerned about.... the cases transmitted to people in  the US from those who carried it from outside the US and then died from it. I believe that number is.... zero.

Brian

Not entirely accurate...Dr. Martin Salia's death marks the second U.S. death from Ebola
Thomas Eric Duncan, a Liberian, was the first to die in the U.S...

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2015, 09:14:49 PM »
hospitals in FL will soon be using drones to carry meds from one hospital roof to the other around the state (vs. car courier as they do today).  They expect cost and delivery time to go from $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and forever   to NIL

Just one in a million uses for drone technologies.  Invest wisely  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2015, 12:52:41 PM »
All this really doesn't matter until some  :censored: ing moron fly's one that get's sucked into an engine of a liner either descending or ascending from an airport that causes a crash and then hundreds of people are dead.  These  :censored: ers think it's a toy and they can do what they want and fly where they want with it.  All that will change...  It's going to happen, it's just a matter of time. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2015, 01:09:10 PM »
All this really doesn't matter until some  :censored: ing moron fly's one that get's sucked into an engine of a liner either descending or ascending from an airport that causes a crash and then hundreds of people are dead.  These  :censored: ers think it's a toy and they can do what they want and fly where they want with it.  All that will change...  It's going to happen, it's just a matter of time.

Business/medical use of drones will continue to surge. I agree 100% some retard will down a plane or something stupid.  At a bare minimum someone soon will record some high official or CEO in an "intimate moment" by the private pool or in the bedroom, I see blackmail opportunity galore with a drone and a GoPro  ;D

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2015, 07:03:14 PM »
It will keep on getting better.  Drone drops drugs into prison:

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/story/news/local/2015/08/03/manci-drone-followup/31078367/
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2015, 05:51:04 AM »
It's like the internet! So much good comes from everyone being connected and so much evil too!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2015, 05:59:35 AM »
It will keep on getting better.  Drone drops drugs into prison:

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/story/news/local/2015/08/03/manci-drone-followup/31078367/

^^^yup.  Many have said in the past "drones will never happen due to safety".

Invest wisely my friends  ;D

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2015, 07:55:18 AM »

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2015, 08:02:55 AM »
Drone vs Fire Department  (gets interesting about at 12:00)

http://youtu.be/W0yXxpoAOYQ

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2015, 08:14:39 AM »
Replacement drones will certainly add to the overwhelming demand coming down the line.  I think about drones and twitch to not get out my 12 ga benelli   ;D

Invest wisely

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2015, 10:22:51 AM »
Well no wonder that kid put a pistol on his drone- look at the way those folks attacked that drone!  [lighten up people, kidding here :-)]

Oh yeah, this is going to be quite the court issue, on quite a few different fronts.

Brian

Drone vs Fire Department  (gets interesting about at 12:00)

http://youtu.be/W0yXxpoAOYQ