Author Topic: It's about to get a bit busier around here  (Read 4478 times)

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
It's about to get a bit busier around here
« on: October 01, 2020, 11:58:27 AM »
For those who don't know, the COG exec has decided to limit forum subscriptions to maximum 6 months.
For that reason I and others have chosen to give up on COG completely.
I already quit the COG Facebook group due to how it was administered.
This pains me as I have been on the COG Listserver and eventually the Forum since 1994, and was a COG member for many years but in the last 2 years it seems to have really gone down the pan. I will remain active on here (the Original Forum) and on various Facebook groups.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: It's about to get a bit busier around here
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 02:47:09 PM »
Too bad. I was surprised to read that on the forum header. No warning emails or nothing. I wonder what they were thinking. But they are private so they can do these things.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 07:32:42 PM by DC Concours »

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 03:41:30 PM »
no pre-nup....ugly divorce

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 04:27:09 PM »
Apparently this is what the members wanted, at least enough of them that this was implemented. I really cannot fault them on this, after all it is a private organization funded with dues paid for by the members so..... ? ??

Not a member myself and though I do stop by and scan, I almost never post anyway so this is not really a change for me. And of course if at any time I do want to post, it is only $37 away. In the end, they are not really restricting anyone but only insisting that dues be paid to be a member (they will apparently let anyone join- I was a member :-) ). Depending on one's point of view, the paying members are basically sponsoring the non- paying forum only members and I can certainly see how this would rub them the wrong way.

Interestingly enough, this was one of my complaints when I was a member; I was paying dues so that non- members had a forum in which to abuse members. They mostly fixed that already and this last change sort of puts the icing on that problem.

Again, just my own opinion that is no doubt worth what you paid for it.

For those who don't know, the COG exec has decided to limit forum subscriptions to maximum 6 months.
For that reason I and others have chosen to give up on COG completely.
I already quit the COG Facebook group due to how it was administered.
This pains me as I have been on the COG Listserver and eventually the Forum since 1994, and was a COG member for many years but in the last 2 years it seems to have really gone down the pan. I will remain active on here (the Original Forum) and on various Facebook groups.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 04:36:55 PM »
Quick update: just took a quick look at the COG site and found it surprising but there is already some negative backlash. Moderators have had to do some moderating in the thread about this (the one on the COG site) already.

Hmmmmmm. Not sure what to think about this really. Especially surprising to me are the dues- paying members who do not like the policy of shutting out the non- members. ?? I know there are dues paying members who are (were?) pretty cranky about supporting the 'freeloaders'. So it appears that there is discrepancy among the members themselves.

How does it go.... 'Give me one human and I will show you and angle, give me two people and I will show you society, give me three people and I will show you an outcast'?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 05:25:38 PM »
I'm one of the ones that wanted special treatment for dues paying members, but not banishment until dues are paid for forum only peeps. I wanted non members to have to see ads and some money generating banners that the dues payers did not have to see. Once again my thoughts are overridden. I worry that in addition to the "likes" nonsense this will close the ranks around the fan boys groups because there will not be any outside visionaries to call attention to the real "fabric" of the emporer's clothes. Oh well, life moves on, Covid permitting.   

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 07:10:49 PM »
We all live and die by our choices......COG has made theirs.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 07:14:20 PM »
We're open to everyone here.  But truthfully it's bean a bit boring lately.  No heads to chop at all.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 08:04:13 PM »
I'm apparently in the dark and in the minority regarding the notion that to belong and contribute to the OFFICIAL COG forum you should at least be a member of COG. We own machines that cost thousands and spend thousands more on options and travelling. $37USD seems to be a small amount to belong to a group and be able to further the group by spending this small amount to have an official forum with no ads. Thinking back to all the things I've learned, the people I've met and the places I've gone that are directly because of THIS and THAT forum and THIS group over the last 18 years and $37USD/yr is a small amount indeed.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 08:23:46 PM »
A whole lot of the contributions and knowledge you've gained came from forum-only members.  There will be a wealth of info not appearing on the pay site anymore.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 08:37:17 PM »
I stand by my above comments. I've provided knowledge too, and, never batted an eye to paying $37/yr to be able to provide that knowledge and belong to COG and that forum.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 09:34:44 PM »
I stand by my above comments. I've provided knowledge too, and, never batted an eye to paying $37/yr to be able to provide that knowledge and belong to COG and that forum.

Been there done that.  Paid my dues.....think my number was 4464.  Like I said on the other form, I don't really ride anymore.  Other hobbies have taken over so...not going to miss a lot by not being there.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 09:42:12 PM »
I just moved the ZGGTR forum onto my quick access bar as I'll be kicked off of the new forum as of 12/3 when my 18 year membership(#5603) will lapse. Expiring members do not get the 6 month free ride, they lose access when they're membership expires.

I prefer inclusive, not elitist forums.

So, howdy folks.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2020, 09:49:58 PM »
Damn Steve. No love even for you! Welcome.

VirginiaJim, get ready to add resources to the forum. Will need more CPU time and RAM.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2020, 10:18:34 PM »

VirginiaJim, get ready to add resources to the forum. Will need more CPU time and RAM.

It is what it is...

Thanks.

I even had to update my sig line, it has been a while since hanging here.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2020, 10:24:21 PM »
Never been a fee here; past, present, future.

Just sayin...

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2020, 01:48:26 AM »
I guess the old saying needs an update: 'If you want a friend in Washington, on on an Internet forum, get a dog'.

Honestly, I really am surprised by the strength of some of the reactions to this policy, especially from some who are already dues paying members. Not criticizing anyone and this is not meant in a negative way, merely observing the reactions.

:popcorn:

Brian

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2020, 05:02:26 AM »
As I've gotten older and my earning years shorter I've systematically eliminated financial vampires that consume small bits of money here and there. Magazine subscriptions went first then cable /satellite, land line phone, club/association dues, etc. This is an ongoing process that weighs value against cost. So yes, for me, the $37 dollars for COG is money that is better spent elsewhere. When something loses value or becomes to burdensome to maintain it's out. COG simply lost it's value to me. It's good to have choices.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2020, 05:14:34 AM »

Pretty sure we can cope with the additional loads.... ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2020, 05:41:42 AM »
Never been a fee here; past, present, future.  Just sayin..

In my case, somehow I found zggtr.org first, when researching if I wanted to buy a C14.  This forum was open and without fees and restrictions (like seeing or posting photos) and I was welcomed with open arms.  So I started participating before I even owned a C14, almost 10 years ago.  When I decided to pull the trigger on a C14, I was already established here and stayed.  I had no reason to look elsewhere; I suspect many others had the same path.

The only obligation I have is my own feeling that I want to contribute effort and content.  And that means to share what I have learned and try to help others, so hopefully they can benefit more, just like I have benefited.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc