Author Topic: First Valve Adjustment @ 112,000  (Read 14578 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: First Valve Adjustment @ 112,000
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 05:45:56 AM »
Congrats Joe, that's awesome!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline phildobaggins

• Fuelly
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 09:02:56 AM »
These threads make me want to keep my Connie indefinitely. Now that I'll be commuting 15-20k miles a year starting this month, it seems to be the best bike for the job.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 03:42:32 PM »
My first valve check was at 25000 on my 08 and one shim was replaced.  The second was at 53000 and 8 shims were needed.  I think on my bike the valves were set too tight at the factory to begin with.  None of them moved very much it seems, just too close to start with.  I don't expect any additional changes for quite awhile.

Offline mkurland

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 07:48:42 AM »
It does make me wonder how well these were checked in the factory.

I found all 16 out of or at the edge of tolerance in my first valve lash check at 25K -- some out by as much as .003.  The procedure is very involved and not at all similar to valve adjustments on other bikes I have owned. 

And, as a warning to those yet to do this procedures, it really really pays to double-check all the measurements.  After replacing shims and re-installing the cams I still managed to miss a few upon re-measuring.  Don't believe the measurements stamped on the shims!  Use a micrometer to measure both the shims and the feeler gauges to ensure consistent measurements on your shim map.

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 03:05:40 AM »
It does make me wonder how well these were checked in the factory.

My thoughts as well. Checking my 08 at 25Kmi showing most of the exhaust's to be slightly tight and just outside tolerance. Same with the intakes but with 1 intake being more than .002" tighter than the tolerance. Probably a good idea to do the maintenance some time early on and set them loose. Then maybe never again!? based on Joe's experience.

Pete

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2014, 07:05:40 AM »
My thoughts as well. Checking my 08 at 25Kmi showing most of the exhaust's to be slightly tight and just outside tolerance. Same with the intakes but with 1 intake being more than .002" tighter than the tolerance. Probably a good idea to do the maintenance some time early on and set them loose. Then maybe never again!? based on Joe's experience.

Pete
That has been my experience. I had a few tight at 22,000 miles and then  8 more tight at 55,000 miles. At that point I set them all to the loose side of spec and have not yet checked again. Now at 115,000.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline biker_golf

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 01:44:03 PM »
Just in the process of adjusting valves (my first DIY attempt) at roughly 45,000 miles (62,100km).

All intake valves were within spec, all exhaust are tight (a few at .003 off).   

Geez, there are a lot of parts to re and re!!!  Pictures help! 

Oh, here's a tip:   if you lose one of the valve cover bolt washers when removing the valve cover
and don't find it inside the valve train area (whew!), look in the spark plug wells.......(grab your
girl friend's makeup compact for the mirror and return it clean.......).

Don't ask how I managed to get that sucker off of the #2 spark plug (it's a real cozy fit!).  Too small
an opening for my magnet but some creative thinking and a few swear words, and voila!

Just make sure you remove the washers first (they stick) from the valve cover before removing it.

Lesson learned!!!! 

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2014, 08:22:42 AM »
These threads make me want to keep my Connie indefinitely. Now that I'll be commuting 15-20k miles a year starting this month, it seems to be the best bike for the job.

+1
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline XHarleyRider

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2014, 06:12:31 AM »
Has anyone read the most recent Tech Q&A section in Rider Magazine related to the valve check on the C-14?  Page 63.  A question came from a new owner inquirering about the valve adjustment intervals.  The response ended as follows:  "I know if I owned a 1400 Concours, after the initial inspection I'd seriously pretend it had hydraulic lifters." I didnt find a link to post. Basically says the job is difficult and a lot can go wrong.  I had a shop perform my initial check at 21K.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2014, 07:27:30 AM »
Has anyone ever had a failure due to lack of adjustment?
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2014, 07:44:39 AM »
Has anyone read the most recent Tech Q&A section in Rider Magazine related to the valve check on the C-14?  Page 63.  A question came from a new owner inquirering about the valve adjustment intervals.  The response ended as follows:  "I know if I owned a 1400 Concours, after the initial inspection I'd seriously pretend it had hydraulic lifters." I didnt find a link to post. Basically says the job is difficult and a lot can go wrong.  I had a shop perform my initial check at 21K.
I just read the article in Rider and based on it I have decided to let my subscription lapse.  I have done 2 successful valve adjustments on my 08 and I have no training and am by no means a proficient  mechanic. I am astounded that a magazine would publish a tech article by such a total incompetent. Maybe we should take up a collection and buy the poor fool a copy of Fred's videos :rotflmao:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2014, 07:53:43 AM »

Not that we've heard of here..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2014, 04:15:59 PM »

I have been reading this forum for almost four years and have never seen a post even implying that they have had any issues from lack of checking/setting the valve lash.  Of course we are only a small portion of owners.

Yet I see the vast majority of postings saying that when checked they are either all perfect or needing only very slight adjustment (probably within safety).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2014, 05:43:52 PM »
I have been reading this forum for almost four years and have never seen a post even implying that they have had any issues from lack of checking/setting the valve lash.  Of course we are only a small portion of owners.

Yet I see the vast majority of postings saying that when checked they are either all perfect or needing only very slight adjustment (probably within safety).
I have been reading the forum for more than 6 years and I can't recall ever hearing about a valve problem or any kind of engine failure.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2014, 11:00:23 AM »
Not that we've heard of here..

there was one pre "site crash" that was from extreme carbon ridge/fouling on piston & cylinders, that when it was repaired the service people didn't go thru the analysis well, and disassembled the motor without checking/recording the clearances. It was rebuilt by Kaw under warranty. Pretty much could have been attributed to intakes hanging open.
Can't prove it now, but that O/P at the time tended to agree with my diagnosis when he described the carbon fouled areas.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..