Author Topic: Request For Suggestion: Hand Numbness  (Read 10349 times)

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

Request For Suggestion: Hand Numbness
« on: May 15, 2011, 09:31:48 AM »
For those that may suffer from hand numbness on the C14: (I do on the Connie as well as the Snapper Riding Lawn mower)

What product do you use?

What gave the biggest improvement?

Any other suggestions

e.g.

1. Grip Puppies ( http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=76265&gclid=CJCjp8-i6qgCFQUDbAod13uYDw
2. Murphs' Great Grips ( http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=35
3. Bar Risers ( too many brands - types to list )
4. Gel Gloves ( http://www.qwinerveprotector.com/SportMotorcycleGlove.html   and many others
5. Do the following exercises and stretching before you ride and every few hours while you ride
6. Drive your cage you loser  :D
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Request For Suggestion: Hand Numbness
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 10:26:19 AM »
I found that a Throttle Rocker made a difference in my throttle hand.  I've got to get one of the clutch side ones as well.

I also use Murph's grips and risers.

If I'm on the highway, I just set the cruise control and alternate which hand is on the bars.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 10:37:24 AM »
Murphs Reverse Nubby Grips
Gel Palm Gloves
Throttle Rocker
Throttle Meister Heavy Throttle Lock

I use all of the above as each one helps in their own right.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 12:04:02 PM »
For Murph's Reverse Nubby Grips

1. Do they fit over the stock OEM grips? (non heated OEM 2008 c14)
2. The photo seems to show a wire wrap to hold them on? (not sure)

For Grip Puppies I understand they just are placed over the OEM?

Brent

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 12:09:20 PM »
Are you doing anything else with that hand that may be making it numb? Maybe it just seems like the motorcycle, riding mower, opening doors, etc. is making it uncomfortable but you really did all the damage earlier? Hmmmmmm?

:D

Cruise control will end the problem. A throttle lock will help and <may> be enough but a true cruise control will allow you to release all pressure on your hand for long periods of time and really will solve the problem.

Brian

For those that may suffer from hand numbness on the C14: (I do on the Connie as well as the Snapper Riding Lawn mower)

What product do you use?

What gave the biggest improvement?

Any other suggestions

e.g.

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 12:26:40 PM »
ride the bike more, and stop squeezing the grip.
it's a common issue when you are riding this bike, and just relaxing and placing your hands ON the bars, without a death grip will cure it.
it comes with time and trust in the bike, relief that is...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 12:50:34 PM »
I am not in the best shape .... after 40 + years of street riding.

I have already had one CT surgery on the right hand. (was so bad I could not ride more than 30 minutes before I could not hold the throttle open.)

Also one shoulder surgery, also on the right side. (1.5 cm bone shaved)

Over the years I have had ~ 36 (Counted them up many years ago) street motorcycle crashes / dumps between the ages of 15 1/2 and 23 years.  (...no broken bones ...lucky me...)

No significant crashes in the last 20 years, but DR has shown me many X-rays that show various locations that have trauma induced arthritis. (bone spurs)

I did get a throttle lock that helps. Will try to relax the grip more and notice the OEM grips are small so thought the grip puppies would help.

Not sure about a cruise control (due to cost) may go that way ...

Thanks

Offline tidewatergirl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 02:39:32 PM »
Do some hand stretchs. Just sit cross legged on the floor and with your arms straight and hands flat on floor have your finger tips pointed away from your body. Do it for as long as it's comfortable... half second or a minute. Relax shake hands and then do it again. Try it three times at least once before and after riding.  Hope this helps.
On the blue shore of silence

Offline Gsun

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 03:02:43 PM »
Those gel gloves look good. Do they work? Anybody have some?

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 03:04:34 PM »
The grip puppies have helped me a bit. I usually just drop a couple or three Aleves before setting off on a long ride, cuts down the inflamation that causes the numbness.
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 03:19:34 PM »
I'm in the same boat.  I move about shifting weight here then there.  I am waiting for B.D.F.s cruise control effort to come about.  Hint Hint.  :)
T.S.R.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 03:31:27 PM »
Do some hand stretchs. Just sit cross legged on the floor and with your arms straight and hands flat on floor have your finger tips pointed away from your body. Do it for as long as it's comfortable... half second or a minute. Relax shake hands and then do it again. Try it three times at least once before and after riding.  Hope this helps.
Most of us are way past sitting cross legged.  ;)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 04:31:31 PM »
For Murph's Reverse Nubby Grips
1. Do they fit over the stock OEM grips? (non heated OEM 2008 c14)
2. The photo seems to show a wire wrap to hold them on? (not sure)

1. No they fit in place of the stock grips; many riders fit them over their grip heaters.
2. The grips sold by Murph are indeed an old dirt bike pattern that simply works very well and yes you could wire them on but I've never seen a reason to do so; just install as you would any other grip.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 04:34:58 PM »
Those gel gloves look good. Do they work? Anybody have some?

I have been using the Olympia 410 Sport Gel Glove for the past eleven years; I've gone through several pairs. They do help and are a great basic long cuff 3 season glove. The gel palm helps isolate your palm from any vibration without making you feel disconnected from the bike like the oversized grips can do.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 04:38:10 PM »
I had it bad in 1997 on my throttle hand. It was numb and painful after only 5 min on the bike. Got Carpel Tunnel surgery done and it has not re-occurred since.
Todd
Eagan, MN
Photos of my 1999 Conk: http://s751.photobucket.com/home/Squishman/index
Fav farkles: custom-cut Corbin Seat, Sonic 1.2's, Sisf's righteous carb work, Yamaha ATV bars, Spoofak, Rifle Shield, Stick Coils.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 04:45:58 PM »
I had it bad in 1997 on my throttle hand. It was numb and painful after only 5 min on the bike. Got Carpel Tunnel surgery done and it has not re-occurred since.

Had the surgery on the right hand done back in 90 I think it was and it was a major relief but my work ranges from the use of a pen, to a keyboard, to a 48" pipe wrench every day so my hands have damage that further surgery may or may not help anymore I can feel the pain flowing into and out of my hands like water fills a glass simply by changing their position. To which I was just about ready to sell my Concours a few years ago as I was getting killer pain within just a few miles; I decided to spend the money on set set of Heli-Bars and I've never been so bloody happy with any money I've ever spent on my bikes as that. As otherwise I was going to be stuck riding my Ural Tourist was it causes me absolutely no hand pain whatsoever or worse yet going out a buying an HD or some other big cruiser to copy the hand position.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline DarrellB

• Arena
  • If your going to ride. Ride. Forget the trailer
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 04:48:31 PM »
The stretching works while going down the highway. The arm stretching part not the crossing leg part.
02 Connie with 06 Skin

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 05:52:45 PM »
Just echoing what others have said here.  The Throttle Rocker helped my right hand a lot.  I have some gel gloves, but have been wearing the protective gloves lately.  I have a second pair of cloth gloves (the cheap brown jersey ones you use for gardening, etc.) inside the leather ones, and that seems to help slightly.  I also have some gel grips on the bike.

On the C10, putting some ballast in the handlebars (such as tiny shotgun pellets) helps reduce the buzz.  I thought C14's didn't buzz nearly as much though, and I don't know if the handlebars are 'hollow', like they are on the C10.

Getting away from the death grip helps (which is why a throttle rocker is so nice).  When commuting, I rest my hands around the grips but don't grip.  It only takes a fraction of a second to grab, which is what you are going to do anyways if something causes you to pucker up...

What I found worked really well was duct taping bubble wrap around my grips for a long trip, but the bubbles break down.  Someday, I may get the foam grips, but the buzzing has been tolerable of late (it lessened as I broke the bike in over the last 35,000 miles).  I feel almost no buzz at all with my ski gloves (with insulated 'foam' gloves inserted), but that's a LOT of thickness.  Plus, it's warmer now, so the ski gloves stay home.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 06:28:41 PM »
I fine when mine are numb it helps to just open my hand flat and lay it on top of the grip.  Drape my fingers over the levers.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 09:19:35 PM »
Working on it.... still.

Brian

I'm in the same boat.  I move about shifting weight here then there.  I am waiting for B.D.F.s cruise control effort to come about.  Hint Hint.  :)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com