Author Topic: Purchase Land in Jeff Davis County, Texas? Yes or No?  (Read 2489 times)

Offline zsiska

• Arena
Purchase Land in Jeff Davis County, Texas? Yes or No?
« on: May 17, 2011, 05:27:49 PM »
I started buying parcels of land in different places across the country about a year ago.  Some small (in the more expensive areas) and some large in cheaper areas.  Why? Just because it is there and I can.  Some of it might be considered junk land that is unbuildable or for recreation only, but in my opinion, so was most land at one time.  I have bought some parcels in NC (lake front) and Virginia where my wife and I will most likely retire to later in life.  The rest, the kids can use or sell later in their life and hopefully make some money on them.  I have also bought in western NY (10 acres 60 miles west of the finger lakes), Colorado (southern), and Montana (about 70 miles north of Billings).  I now have a chance at a 40 acre lot in Jeff Davis, TX for extremely cheap.  Don't know much about the area other than it is pretty deserted from what I have read.  And I know it has to be cheap for some reason.  I plan on calling the zoning department tomorrow to check on restrictions and such.  Anybody close by or that knows about the area and could give me opinions would be appreciated.

And to add to why I am buying all these lots, it will make a fun connect the dot road trip in a few years.

Offline booger

Re: Purchase Land in Jeff Davis County, Texas? Yes or No?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 06:40:11 PM »
I would imagine there is not too much demand for land in Jeff Davis County.

You should be able to buy very cheap.

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 08:39:49 PM »
Did some diggin, lots of land available. Lots of price variances. Seems like a road trip is in order though. 60 or so miles from Houston, can you say dump sites, toxic waste, dead bodies, just thinking outloud here.
Good luck, but i would go see first, buy second.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline nosaint7

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 08:13:44 AM »
Google map search on Fort Davis, TX - North of the Big Bend area.   400 mile ride west of San Antonio, 250 mile SE of Las Cruces, NM.  Rugged, rocky and DRY.  Depending on where the land is, is could be totally impossible to get to except by helicopter.
current: 2003 C10
past: Yamaha Vstar, Yamaha XS750, Suzuki T500, BSA 650 Lightning (yup - I'm OLD!)

Offline booger

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 10:13:25 PM »
Google map search on Fort Davis, TX - North of the Big Bend area.   400 mile ride west of San Antonio, 250 mile SE of Las Cruces, NM.  Rugged, rocky and DRY.  Depending on where the land is, is could be totally impossible to get to except by helicopter.

Helicopter or KLR 650 ;D

Offline Timalan

• www.thismotorcyclelife.net
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 06:58:47 AM »
my dad and his brothers and one sister owned Junk land in western Oklahoma... Junk till a gas company wanted a lease on minerals and Power windmill people wanted surface rights for parts to put up windmills. It is only Junk till someone wants to use it for something.

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 01:32:43 PM »
my dad and his brothers and one sister owned Junk land in western Oklahoma... Junk till a gas company wanted a lease on minerals and Power windmill people wanted surface rights for parts to put up windmills. It is only Junk till someone wants to use it for something.

That is the way I see it also.  And what got me thinking about it was because my company is in Northern VA, but many of our large clients from this area are now building huge data centers out west in so called barren land.  I know this because they are paying to fly and house our techs to go out and every week to help build them.  I figure even if I do nothing with them and my kids sell them in x amount of years, they will make something from them.   My only concern with southern Texas was being at/near the border where we have so many problems.  If our border problems, never cease, it will be a very nominal return.  Even in 40 years or whatever it may be.  But I did go ahead and purchase it.  The price was so cheap, I couldn't believeI even thought about not buying.