Author Topic: How do feel about taking an advanced rider safety course  (Read 6721 times)

Offline DarkKnight

How do feel about taking an advanced rider safety course
« on: May 18, 2011, 01:49:13 PM »
I have put miles in when I was younger and I even do some techniques I learned on my own.  There is always something to learn. Anyone taken one of these courses?

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: How do feel about taking an advanced rider safety course
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 01:51:29 PM »
I have taken the BRC, ARC, and the Military Sport Bike course.  I enjoyed all of them especially since I didn't have to pay a dime. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 01:55:53 PM »
I'm taking one on 5/28 and I'm looking forward to it. You're right, there's always room to learn something new and improve your skills.

Oh wait, I forgot. I won't be able to take the course after all.

http://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=620.0
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

YoDoc

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 03:00:34 PM »
I've taken the same three courses, and they were all great!
I have taken the BRC, ARC, and the Military Sport Bike course.  I enjoyed all of them especially since I didn't have to pay a dime. 

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 03:18:53 PM »
As an instructor, of course I would say yes, it's way to easy to develop bad habits and never know it.  As an instructor I take at least one class myself, as a student.  This doesnt count all the skill development courses we do.  A trained set of eyes wont hurt.  For those interested in the Puget Sound area, check out www.pugetsoundsafety.com , they offer a wide range of courses, from the Basic course, through advanced street skills.  They also offer the Lee Parks Total Control clinic, and several levels of dirt courses, to include adventure camps.
So, yes, get some more, even Rossi has a few coaches, so if he needs them, I would say it's safe to say it wont hurt the average rider.

Chet

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 04:13:31 PM »
Wife and I are off on one this Saturday - 2 hours of theory and then 3 hours of riding slabs and twsities with the police on their R1200RT's  :o

I have no problem with advanced courses provided they deliver good content at an affordable price. Pre booking, they asked what I wanted to achieve after 30 years of riding. My reply - "you don't know what you don't know"  :)

Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline MizzouMike

• Arena
  • How do you remove the rain magnet on this thing?
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 08:02:32 PM »
I have the BRC, and ERC....   definitly would love to take one of those on street courses in the mountains, or a track type course.  I never stop learning  (but that may be because I also forget bunches of things too??)
NEKansas  AMA#273766, COG#8862, IBA#44917
2000 Concours 2001 KLR, 2013 HD Ultra Classic

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 08:16:20 PM »
No desire.....I learn by riding, kinda like a golf pro trying to teach you how to perfect your swing.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 08:19:45 PM »
I would take one if it were reasonable.  The Lee Parks Total Control course I would like to take.  Living in the boonies...they never come up here.  I would have to ride quite a ways to go.

YoDoc

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 08:50:29 PM »
I just love to take these courses. I'll probably take one this summer. If nothing else it's fun to get a chance to really play around and have fun.

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 12:15:01 AM »
If nothing else it's fun to get a chance to really play around and have fun.

+1  :thumbs:
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline blade

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 07:15:53 AM »
I've done the BRC and the ERC plus I think it was the Ride Safe course at the national in WV a few years back. All were well worth the cost. I'm scheduled for another ERC next weekend as well. The reason for that is twofold, first it never hurts to have a refresher and second my insurance company thinks you forget everything after 5 years and removes the discounted rate you get for taking a safety course.  >:(  So for paying $55 I will see 100+ removed from the insurance on the three bikes for the next 5 years, it works for me. ;)

Offline Timalan

• www.thismotorcyclelife.net
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 08:12:09 AM »
I just took a Private ERC from a friend who is a MSF Coach. It was not only fun but, very useful I think. we all develop bad habits and the course can remind us of what we do wrong. Plus I think doing it on the bike we actually ride is an advantage too.

Offline tracyscoleman

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 08:45:21 AM »
havent taken one myself i"ve heard goood things about the advanced courses and some local community colleges provide them for free

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 08:59:37 AM »
I've had to take the ERC quite a few times (military), and I would say that not one time has it been a wasted day.  I can take them for free so that changes things, but I actually like to take one a couple weeks after every new bike to help learn the bike under controlled conditions.  The military sportbike course is actually lots of fun too, kind of like a mini track day.  I took it on my CB400F and learned I wasn't as good as I needed to be but way better than I thought I was.   After I get the zx9 front finished on my connie, I'm going to take the sportbike course again to dial in the suspension - the guys here that give it like me and will help out.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline azul10

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 06:06:53 PM »
I took the Illinois MSF advanced course a few years ago on the V-max Learned a few things hoped to get a discount on insurance. Dropped by the State Farm office and proudly presented my certificate to learn that they don not offer a discount. Oh well . It was a saturday well spent. :)

Offline ssmith

• Concours Owners Group
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 04:47:02 AM »
I am certified to conduct the BRC, ERC and ARC-ST. I was a student in the ARC-ST..  a very fun and challenging day.  We can never learn too much.

Professional athletes are suppose to be the best at what they do and you would think they improve by just playing the game.  Yet they have team coaches that observe and evaluate their skills and abilities, and coach them to be better at what they do.

This is what experienced rider education is about... being observed, evaluated, and coached to allow someone to become the best rider they can be.
Steve Smith, COG #3184
Get your own official COG # by joining the Concours Owners Group, the premier sport-touring club for Concours enthusiasts and sport-touring riders.  Click here to learn more about club membership

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 02:33:38 PM »
I am certified to conduct the BRC, ERC and ARC-ST. I was a student in the ARC-ST..  a very fun and challenging day.  We can never learn too much.

Professional athletes are suppose to be the best at what they do and you would think they improve by just playing the game.  Yet they have team coaches that observe and evaluate their skills and abilities, and coach them to be better at what they do.

This is what experienced rider education is about... being observed, evaluated, and coached to allow someone to become the best rider they can be.

That is so true. We learn bad habits we don't even realize.  It takes a competent observer to see that and instructor to correct that.  Especially with us in the northern states, short riding season, rusty skillset.

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 02:41:09 PM »
I would take one if it were reasonable.  The Lee Parks Total Control course I would like to take.  Living in the boonies...they never come up here.  I would have to ride quite a ways to go.

I took the ERC offered by ABATE after the National in Tomah, WI last year.  They held the course on the State Patrol parking lot within Camp McCoy.  We rode the ERC on the parking lot but I feel better handling a C-10 at slow speeds now.
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 03:24:54 PM »
I took the ERC offered by ABATE after the National in Tomah, WI last year.  They held the course on the State Patrol parking lot within Camp McCoy.  We rode the ERC on the parking lot but I feel better handling a C-10 at slow speeds now.

That Lee Parks course is slow speed too.  They hold them in parking lots, claim you will be dragging the pegs at parking lot speeds too.