Author Topic: C10 Exhaust Header life ?  (Read 3739 times)

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
C10 Exhaust Header life ?
« on: September 08, 2013, 09:04:36 AM »
OK, I haven't really looked at the headers, not an easy thing to do anyway, but the other day I seemed to be getting a strange amount of exhaust fumes coming up from the front of the bike. I was riding into the wind and at highway speeds, and no one in front of me. The odor comes and goes, not like it is from the exit pipes, so my question is like the title. I am at 94k and 12 yrs old now, no change in sound of the exhaust, just odor.
For you long owners like myself, how is your exhaust headers doing, and have you experienced this also?
Not looking forward to an exhaust system change if this exhaust has gone south.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Secarob

Re: C10 Exhaust Header life ?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 09:46:17 AM »
If I recall correctly they are stainless steel and should outlast the bike.  You probably just need new gasketing where they meet the head & at the mufflers

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 12:15:34 PM »
Greg
Check the gaskets at the crossover pipe midway

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 02:09:58 PM »
While you're checking the crossover gasket, see if there is any oil collecting on the system down there. I had a similar experience that turned out to be a failed bevel drive gasket leaking oil onto the crossover area.

Offline Summit670

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 02:11:22 PM »
Different smell, but a small coolant leak emanating from the water pump, water pipe/engine O-rings, or hose clamp connections sometimes emits an odor and lots of times the leak will drip only when running and drip onto the exhaust and evaporate so you'll not see coolant on the ground depending where it leaks from.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 07:49:39 PM »
Outstanding recommendations all, went out for a while today, nothing.
I even tried to sniff while stopped, probably looked pretty strange. I'm riding to work in the AM, so I guess I'll see if it comes back.
Thanks for the input.
Ride safe all,
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Leo

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 08:41:32 PM »
I have never seen the header section rust out, but I have seen holes form around the welds where the crossover pipe weld to the header.  I do not think that will give exhaust fumes to the rider.   They will al sometimes give a raw gas fumes from the gas cap in the right circumstances.   My Cee Bailey windshield has a vent so I never notice that smell any more except at long traffic lights on hot days. Good Luck
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 03:37:02 PM »
When I installed a 4-into-1 exhaust and I pulled the stockers  off
I noticed  the bottom parts and cross over where  pretty rusty.
They werent  breaking through with holes  or anything like that but I can understand   that  if a bike  was left out doors it  could rust through.
I have also heard reports not to wrap headers as that creates rust and/or make the metal brittle.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Summit670

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 06:30:50 PM »
You could try this - with the bike in a dark area, on centerstand, warmed up and running - stand on various sides and shine a flashlight toward it at different angles to see if there is any evaporation from oil or coolant coming off the exhaust.   This probably wouldn't work for exhaust leaks unless maybe you added a little oil (2-stroke best?) to the gas so the exhaust would be slightly smokey. 

Siphon out fuel, mix 1 gallon at like 32:1, then pour back in.  If you can't detect any leaks, don't worry about siphoning out the premix, just add another 6 gallons of non-mixed.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 05:14:45 AM »
Whatis happening is there ia a vacuum created behind the fairing and the exhaust gets sucked up into the rider. A windshield vent creates even pressure behind the fairing and the exhaust stays out. Watch what happens to a loose t shirt that isn't tucked in. It goes up your back.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!