Author Topic: FI Light  (Read 3299 times)

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
FI Light
« on: August 23, 2018, 05:47:19 AM »
Anyone know of a reason why the FI warning would pop up for a couple of seconds then go off? I’ve had it happen twice now. It doesn’t stay on, so I can’t check for error codes. Probably going to have to take it to the dealer to have them check the history to see what’s going on. Thought I would throw the question up on here to see if anyone has any ideas.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline jwh20

Re: FI Light
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 06:08:04 AM »
If the FI light comes on for a few seconds and then goes off, it's usually caused by some interference.  If there had been an actual issue, the light would not clear itself and you'd be able to read out the fault code.  In your case there is no actual fault.

Offline chap

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 10:26:24 AM »
Happens to everyone. I get it probably twice a year. No issue. A "feature" of the bike.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline PH14

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 10:31:32 AM »
It has never happened on my bike, but I have the first gen. Is it because the first gen bikes are faster?  :banana

Offline khager01

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 01:09:44 PM »
I have had it happened a few times momentarily on my 2017. I don't know about 1st Gen the only 1st Gen bikes I've ever seen were in my rearview mirror and fading fast. ;)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 01:36:57 PM »
A well- known quirk of the Gen. 2 C-14's. The FI (Fuel Injection) light pops on but then goes right out and no errors are logged. I believe what is happening is that certain requirements in the software are met momentarily and that triggers the error light but does not actually generate an actual error.

Put another way, 'Nothing to see here, move along......'

:-)

Brian

Anyone know of a reason why the FI warning would pop up for a couple of seconds then go off? I’ve had it happen twice now. It doesn’t stay on, so I can’t check for error codes. Probably going to have to take it to the dealer to have them check the history to see what’s going on. Thought I would throw the question up on here to see if anyone has any ideas.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 01:52:01 PM »
Is there any way to fix it / prevent it from happening? If it is common and only a gen 2 issue, you would think they would have a fix for it by now...
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline okrider

• Dora: '11 Black
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 02:02:30 PM »
I assume most people were too busy un-linking their brakes that they didn't care about the random FI light
'11 Black: Russel Day-Long, Mountain Runner, cage w/ highway pegs, 2Bros Slip-on, Helibars Horizon

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 03:06:27 PM »
Is there any way to fix it / prevent it from happening?

Not that I know of.  Keep in mind, nobody even knows why it does it.  My theory is that it is intense radio frequency interference.

If it is common and only a gen 2 issue, you would think they would have a fix for it by now...

One would think so, but I don't believe Kawasaki has *EVER* offered updates to the ECU firmware.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 03:08:01 PM »
Is there any way to fix it / prevent it from happening? If it is common and only a gen 2 issue, you would think they would have a fix for it by now...

It's not just Gen II bikes, my '08 did it at the noted mile points also, around 8k and 11k, then never again... no big deal, it was a 'flash' and off.. and I wasn't anywhere near a place generating any signals either time...
as Brian noted, it's common, and does not stay in the code registry...

it usually occurs around 8k miles, and i don't recall it happening on any bikes reporting 20k miles or over... it is always early on, I also agree with his hypothesis that it something in the 'code' triggered by mileage waypoints, and never seems to appear later on in life... don't sweat it.. all is good.... if it comes on, and STAYS ON... then be concerned.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 03:14:20 PM »
For us mortals, no. You would have to get the source code for the ECU, find the problem in that software, correct it, then burn into the ECU. First of all, we cannot get the source code as it is proprietary and not available. Then the other problem(s) such as re-writing it to eliminate that glitch. Even if it could be done, not worth the time and effort IMO.

Again, this is just a little glitch in the software and nothing but a passing quirk- nothing to be concerned with.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 03:52:14 PM »
Glitch?
nahhhh, it's in the program...
the program is perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect,....hic...

It's actually there as a 'waypoint', and everything you do while riding before it happens, is recorded, especially how many time it was 'banged' off the rev limiter prior to 6k miles...

lets just name this "The Prime Directive"....of Kaw.

google it...
it is a guiding principle of the United Federation of Kawasaki Planets prohibiting the protagonists from interfering with the internal development of alien civilizations.
This conceptual law applies particularly to civilizations which are below a certain threshold of technological, scientific and cultural development; preventing C14 starship crews from using their superior technology to impose their own values or ideals on them...
As time travel became a recurring feature in the franchise, the concept was expanded as a Temporal Prime Directive, prohibiting those under its orders from interfering in historical events.

"Little Brother is watching you....".... bwwooohhaaaaaHaaaahHaaaaaaa

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 04:59:00 PM »
Glitch?
nahhhh, it's in the program...
the program is perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect,....hic...

It's actually there as a 'waypoint', and everything you do while riding before it happens, is recorded, especially how many time it was 'banged' off the rev limiter prior to 6k miles...

lets just name this "The Prime Directive"....of Kaw.

google it...
it is a guiding principle of the United Federation of Kawasaki Planets prohibiting the protagonists from interfering with the internal development of alien civilizations.
This conceptual law applies particularly to civilizations which are below a certain threshold of technological, scientific and cultural development; preventing C14 starship crews from using their superior technology to impose their own values or ideals on them...
As time travel became a recurring feature in the franchise, the concept was expanded as a Temporal Prime Directive, prohibiting those under its orders from interfering in historical events.

"Little Brother is watching you....".... bwwooohhaaaaaHaaaahHaaaaaaa

Wow! All that from an FI error?!?!  :yikes:
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 05:04:22 PM »
It's not just Gen II bikes, my '08 did it at the noted mile points also, around 8k and 11k, then never again... no big deal, it was a 'flash' and off.. and I wasn't anywhere near a place generating any signals either time...
as Brian noted, it's common, and does not stay in the code registry...

it usually occurs around 8k miles, and i don't recall it happening on any bikes reporting 20k miles or over... it is always early on, I also agree with his hypothesis that it something in the 'code' triggered by mileage waypoints, and never seems to appear later on in life... don't sweat it.. all is good.... if it comes on, and STAYS ON... then be concerned.

I’m not even to 5000 miles yet and it has happened twice. Currently at 4748 miles. Never around anything electrical. Both times were on back country roads. No cell towers, radio towers, power substations, or high power lines around.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 05:05:58 PM »
Just curious... anyone ever have it happen after an ecu reflash?
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 06:04:13 PM »
It's not just Gen II bikes, my '08 did it at the noted mile points also, around 8k and 11k, then never again... no big deal, it was a 'flash' and off..

Well, with Gen 2, it seems normal for it to happen anywhere from once to a few times a year, every year.  I stopped keeping track on mine but do have some logged....   Had a few in the first 1K miles, then again at around 2.2K miles and then 20 miles after that.  Happened at around 25.5K.   Those are all I logged, but I didn't log many of them (because I stopped caring).

and I wasn't anywhere near a place generating any signals either time...

RFI is everywhere- cell towers, planes, cars, even your own phone.  Who knows.  Not saying it *is* RFI, but that it could be, even when in a remote place.

it usually occurs around 8k miles, and i don't recall it happening on any bikes reporting 20k miles or over...it is always early on,

Maybe on Gen 1, but I still get them at 36K.  But it does seem to be much more rare than when the bike was newer.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2018, 06:04:45 PM »

Yes

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2018, 06:08:49 PM »
Both times were on back country roads. No cell towers, radio towers, power substations, or high power lines around.

I have had several occur along the same small stretch of a particular road, over a period of years, which seemed oddly less-than-random.  All those times were just slab cruising around 65MPH with zero acceleration (steady low throttle), no "load", and no bumps.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2018, 06:13:34 PM »
It has never happened on my bike, but I have the first gen. Is it because the first gen bikes are faster?  :banana

That would be correct.

I have had several occur along the same small stretch of a particular road, over a period of years, which seemed oddly less-than-random.  All those times were just slab cruising around 65MPH with zero acceleration (steady low throttle), no "load", and no bumps.

I really believe it's caused by one of the 'A' government agencies.  I have it on good authority that wrapping your helmet in tin foil will prevent this from happening.   It's either that or space aliens.

I didn't have it before nor after my ECU got flashed.  I don't think it has anything to do with that..try tin foil.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.