Author Topic: High power headligh replacement bulb for C10  (Read 17400 times)

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: High power headligh replacement bulb for C10
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 04:12:48 PM »
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 04:56:45 PM »
Outback, have you tried this on the road?
Does it light up the area well?

My experience with LED's is they make a heck of a bright light, but don't light up an area. I
(n my case I'm talking about LED flashlights. Yea, I know we're not comparing apples and apples)..
But the LED flashlights are so bright they blind you if shined in your face, but they don't make much of a beam..

Ride safe, Ted

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 06:29:19 PM »
So, here I am...looking at my still in the package PIAA Super Plasma GT-X 60/55w=135/125W bulb...and, reading Outback's post about that Genssi LED conversion...decisions...decisions... :-\
'02 C-10

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 07:07:26 PM »
Outback, have you tried this on the road?
Does it light up the area well?
Yes, and yes.

My experience with LED's is they make a heck of a bright light, but don't light up an area. I
(n my case I'm talking about LED flashlights. Yea, I know we're not comparing apples and apples)..
But the LED flashlights are so bright they blind you if shined in your face, but they don't make much of a beam..
You need to spend bigger $$ on your LED flashlights.  I'm a bit of a flashlight junkie and have a small one that throws something like 600 lumens.  It has a big lens on the front that can focus the beam so sharply that you can actually see the circuit of the LED array on a wall well over 100 feet away.   (I know I've done it further, but I've never really measured.)  It makes this neat square pattern with sharply defined edges.  I really try to avoid shining it into my own or other peoples' eyes.  I know this means nothing for an LED headlight conversion, as there is no comparison, but LEDs can be focused easily.  I also have a good LED conversion in a 3 D-cell Mag-lite.  It is several years old, and it focuses as well as the original bulb did. 

So, here I am...looking at my still in the package PIAA Super Plasma GT-X 60/55w=135/125W bulb...and, reading Outback's post about that Genssi LED conversion...decisions...decisions... :-\
I know that PIAA makes some good stuff, but I'm always suspicious of claims like that.  I just can't understand how you'd get those supposed numbers out of an incandescent bulb.  (Wattage is a terrible way of rating light output, anyway.)  The GENSSI setup only uses something like 40W on high beam.  So if you're looking for a bit of power saving, it might be the way to go.  And there really is no way to beat the "coolness factor".   8)  I actually ordered the rest of the bulbs and a new flasher that I need to make my C10 entirely LED.

Damn, just realized I forgot the license plate light!  How embarrassing that would have been!   :doh:  Anyone know the bulb size?
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 08:54:17 PM »
A couple of things:

The connie headlamp assembly is indeed a reflector. 

Second, before sinking your on LED head light bulbs, read a lot of reviews.  After seeing this I did and to say the least, the reviews are mixed at best.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 10:12:15 PM »
A couple of things:

The connie headlamp assembly is indeed a reflector. 
Perhaps I was unclear.  I meant the type of headlight that has a clear, smooth glass/plastic lens with a reflector at the back that does all the focusing.  Like most modern cars and bikes.  The C10 has a reflector, but much of the focusing is done through the refractive glass, instead of at the reflector.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2014, 08:37:28 AM »
Thanks Outback....

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Uded2me

This forum is dead dead dead
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2014, 01:45:17 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:30:19 PM by knight_mare »

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2014, 04:01:08 PM »
Guess I'll have to find a wall to point the bike at and take a couple of pics.  Good excuse to play with my daughter's DSLR camera, anyway. 

Offline Uded2me

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2014, 06:28:20 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:30:36 PM by knight_mare »

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2014, 07:55:25 PM »
That's a thought.  Here are some pics of the pattern of the H13 with the left bulb replaced with LED.  Against the wall you can see what is thrown at oncoming traffic.  The other pic shows the glare vs the standard H13 bulb that an oncoming driver sees.

After putting in the left bulb we were pretty sure the GENSII would not be a usable solution.  We did not take pictures with both LED bulbs in.
Can you post a pic of the H13 unit that you have?  I'm curious as to how the LED arrays are arranged compared to the one that I have.

I've seen a lot of bad designs out there that claim to be replacements for various incandescent bulbs.  And just like with the various HID replacement units, the designs have improved through several generations.  But there are still people selling the earlier poor designs, which I think contributes to some complaints about them. 

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2014, 08:24:40 PM »
Here's a couple of shots of the Genssi H4 LED unit.  If you're familiar with the design of a standard H4, you can see how it uses the position of the LED arrays to mimic the filament placement of a standard H4.

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2014, 09:21:15 PM »
I installed my PIAA Super Plasma GT-X 60/55w=135/125W bulb today and took a ride tonight...and, I must say, I am impressed!  I am now a believer!  We will have to see about longevity...
'02 C-10

Offline Uded2me

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2014, 11:32:32 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:30:38 PM by knight_mare »

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2014, 06:51:22 AM »
I can see where they are definitely brighter. And I'm for more light, but there is a point of too much...
I'll be the nay sayer here. (meant for discussion, not to argue)

My concern is the other driver. I don't want more light at the expense of others comfort.
   I personally hate to ride with someone behind me (or approaching me) that has glaring headlights.

My thought here is to have a high beam that is extra bright, so that you can switch to low when your approaching other cars..

A good test might be; If you notice approaching cars flashing their lights at you (thinking your on high beam) it will indicate that glare is too much.    If so, let us know.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2014, 06:54:58 AM »
Just a little info to add about HIDs.  If you get something near the 6000k color range (temp) it will be blue when seen from other drivers (although you will see it as whiteish while driving).  Try to keep close to 4200k or 4300k for true "daylight" color.  Someplaces say their product is "perfect daylight" at 5000k which is actually heading to the blue realm.  I will say that LEDs have a super long life span according to the manufacturers.  A standard H4 puts out 1100-1500 lumens and draws 55-60 watts to do so.  Here are the specs of the HID kit (taken from VVME) I run which is only 35w and produces 3200 lumens at 4300k - you do the math:
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2014, 07:16:35 AM »
I can see where they are definitely brighter. And I'm for more light, but there is a point of too much...
I'll be the nay sayer here. (meant for discussion, not to argue)

My concern is the other driver. I don't want more light at the expense of others comfort.
   I personally hate to ride with someone behind me (or approaching me) that has glaring headlights.

My thought here is to have a high beam that is extra bright, so that you can switch to low when your approaching other cars..

A good test might be; If you notice approaching cars flashing their lights at you (thinking your on high beam) it will indicate that glare is too much.    If so, let us know.

Ride safe, Ted

Knight_mares LED picture above shows a properly shielded bulb.  This controls the cut-off point and works quite well at placing it just below the trunk line of the car in front of you and also just below the eyes of on-coming traffic.  Some people think they can gain more light by removing this which is incorrect.  DON'T DO IT!  If you remove it, all it does is send light up into the trees and other driver’s eyes that is really of no use and a potential safety hazard.  The brightness of an HID does not change, it just changes the focal length by magnetically moving the filament from the high to low positions.  LEDs on the other hand, typically light a second LED that is sitting in the "high" position to accomplish the same thing, while most of the time leaving the low beam LED on also.  By doing this they give additional light in the low beam area too and maybe a little extra brightness down the road.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Uded2me

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2014, 08:43:39 AM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:30:43 PM by knight_mare »

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2014, 09:31:33 AM »
You must have had one of the early kits that used two different filaments, one a halogen, filled with xenon the other HID (filled with xenon).  The current kits that are bi-xenon HID use only one filament and just move it (telescopic) forward and backward to change the focal distance.  These have no lag time as it is always on.  Basically what you see while riding is as if you are pointing a huge flashlight in a normal low beam position, then bring it up high beam (nano-second but still no black) to see down the road, then lower it again when needed for oncoming cars. I would highly recommend you look at these again - the prices have came way down since the earlier discussion (2010 or 2011).  Still more than an $8 bulb though.  This is the kit I have:

http://www.vvme.com/hid-headlights/bi-xenon-hid-conversion-kit/h4-3-9003-bi-xenon-hid-kit/standard-h4-3-9003-bi-xenon-hid-kit

By the way, the LED kit he is looking at says it is 5000k color temp (blue).