Author Topic: 1st and 2nd gear sputter  (Read 2514 times)

Offline sgilbert14

1st and 2nd gear sputter
« on: April 19, 2012, 07:05:45 PM »
My bike developed a sputter when you start in first and give it the gas again in 2nd. There is also will not idle at a steady RPM. The thing does not die or anything just sputters. Check on the site and found things to check but the issues are not the same. I also drove into the dealer and the started talking about floats, needles, carb kits, cleaning etc.... Ran great 2 days ago and no troubles at any speed above what is above. Ideas???

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
Re: 1st and 2nd gear sputter
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 09:29:24 PM »
I would stick a bit of methyl alcohol/methyl hydrate/gas line de-icer in the tank to see if it removes some water which may be causing the sputter. At least it's easy.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 09:37:26 PM »
Might want to check for water/dirt in the spark plug wells too.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 04:39:16 AM »
Thanks I do that today. I also have not pulled the fuel screen yet so I will pull the tank off and do that as well.

Offline Gottaride

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 12:27:43 PM »
How much Methyl Hydrate would be suitable to dry out a full tank. Would adding MH in addition to already present gas conditioner be ill advised? What about doing a carb synch when WH and gas conditioner is present?

I`m guessing my tank over the winter condensed some water. Small orange coloured deposits flowed through my carbs during a recent float level test. I did have a 3006 fuel filter installed and used the connie fuel tank as source. Draining the tank would be a royal pain. Rust from the condensate would remain in the tank. Is it reasonable to expect to be able to flush out carb clogging rust deposits from the float bowl drains or am I dreaming?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 10:22:00 PM by Gottaride »
1994 C-10 California model

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 05:47:13 PM »
Today I did the above and the the #2 bowel had a bit of dirt in it. I did pull and drain the tank and the screen looked ok. Checked the plugs and 3 were fine but #1 was wet. It was on the kick stand and I think that I read where that could make this happen but it seems that maybe something else would be more of a reason????? Could there be something else that needs to be checked as well.  :banghead:

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 05:49:11 PM »
Mine starting doing this, so I pulled the tank and drained it completely then ran some SeaFoam through it and it went away. I think I had a little water in it and the first time I hit "reserve" it got sucked into it. Also took the petcock off and one spec of dirt or rust on the screen. Hasn't done it sense. Got lucky I guess.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 07:29:33 PM »
the #2 bowel had a bit of dirt in it.

#1 was wet.
Yeah, that's how it usually goes.   :rotflmao:
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline mdr

• Mark in Austin's C10 Tech Page
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 09:38:05 AM »
The fine rust particles get past any filter.  You just hope they don't gang up and plug your idle passage - which it sounds to me like they have.

If the #1 was 'wet' with water on the outside, if you've still got the plug hole covers (HIGHLY recommended), it wasn't on quite right.  If it's wet with oil one the outside, the gasket in the cam cover isn't sealing correctly.  If it's wet with gas on the tip, pull the carbs and replace the float needles unless you've done it in the last couple years.  Don't forget to polish the seats.  Even if the needles look good, they can be a problem.
Mark in Austin
'01 Concours, Vrooomm
My "Tech Page"
http://www.randols.net/Connie/index.html

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 10:49:25 AM »
Thanks. It is a 92 and I picked it up 2 months or so ago. Do not know what has been done with it but it was the tip of the plugs which is wet. Never done these before but have the book to help.

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 11:02:03 AM »
Tip inside the motor? Sounds like a spark issue, not carb....

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »
I would stick a bit of methyl alcohol/methyl hydrate/gas line de-icer in the tank to see if it removes some water which may be causing the sputter. At least it's easy.

don't confuse the folks.....
just tell the product name  IsoHeet, or HEET, I prefer IsoHeet, it works best....
and don't just dump it in, you have to run the stuff thru the tank, go for a reallly long ride.

before you go adding that, remove and drain the tank, and drain the float bowls.....and get a clean new gascan and add fresh fuel, and when you fillup add the full bottle of IsoHeet.

do not mix gas additives (i.e. B12, IsoHeet, and SeaFoam in the same tankfull....it will lead to problems, only do one at a time, and then ride tha fuel out, or ditch the fuel...lawnmower gas...)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 05:12:52 PM »
I like the SeaFoam so I will try that and see. I have drained the tank and bowels already and added new gas. The "tip" was that of the spark plug that was wet. Checked the gap of all the plugs and they are all fine and are less then 2 months old. Should change that plug at least and see if there is any change. Looks like I have a week of bad weather to deal with now anyway. Than ks for the help.