Author Topic: lost power, chain noise?, wont run  (Read 16398 times)

Offline rrman1

• rode 75 z1 900 100k+ miles. love this 2001 C10
    • jim
Re: lost power, chain noise?, wont run
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2014, 04:23:56 AM »
found engine in flint mi.   working on getting it here to n. ga.   thanks for all the help. sure i'll need some more.  it has modified carbs w drains.  maybe this wont happen again.  it was a great 2500 miles and i am dying to get back on it.
the only thing that counts is faith expressing itself in love

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2014, 05:35:41 AM »
At least you have a good winter project.  You'll gain a very good understanding of where things are for maintenance later.  The hardest (frustrating) thing I encountered is the spring-loaded push pin that keeps the driveshaft attached.  That thing can be a little tricky.  Do some reading on it.  Also, don't just bolt the engine back in, check to see if it needs shimming.

Drain all of the fluids from the old engine.  You may even want to flush the coolant with water so you won't have anti-freeze everywhere.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2014, 05:23:15 PM »
sounds like the carbs were designed by an idiot.
Get with the times old man... you are what? 65?
Vacume actuated petcocks have been on bikes since mikuni's became obsolete, late 70's... the vac actuation was the answer to fuel delivery upon demand, with the CV carbs proliferation... we got fuel injection today, callin azz on the design of a 30 year old design is pretty rediculous. It was driven by the technology of the times... my 78'KZ1000Ltd has mic,s and drains, and metal float needles.... it works. So do my 88' CV carbs, work that is, and they have rubber tipped needles... and my C14 has injectors.... and they work...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2014, 07:58:46 PM »
     many thanks to  all who have helped me with my bike.
     can you explain how the bike  was running when i parked it and the next time i tried to crank it, it would not turn over at all?  dont recall any noises during this attempt to crank.          also would like to prevent re-occurance with next engine. any advice.    what is the common cause of hydrolock in this engine, which i take it is not uncommon?      also, how does a tank of bad gas contribute?     thanks.

and the real irony to me is that I did a you tube video on this very event, fully explained, props, the whole works just to help STOP connies from being destroyed by hydrolocks. I've done my best to get the info out there; it's a sad event to kill a connie engine over something so easily prevented. Steve

Concours ZG1000 hydrolock rod test
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 06:40:03 AM by Steve in Sunny Fla »

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2014, 06:57:16 AM »
thanks for help.     #4 has bent rod.  no  fuel in cylinders, or water.  doesnt explain engine not turning does it?   

th explanation is in the hydrolock events that occured for a couple days before the final event. The rod was bent on the first event , then bent again on the subsequent event til it can't resist bending while just running / starting. Finally it's touching the cylinder wall, and the engine is locked up.  This is exactly what had happened to the first bike I had to change a rod in. Steve

Offline JP

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2014, 01:08:26 PM »
Just to clarify and ensure a correct diagnoses..... How did you do the bent rod test without turning the engine over?
I know it can be done but.......How did you do it?

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2014, 06:53:53 AM »
Just to clarify and ensure a correct diagnoses..... How did you do the bent rod test without turning the engine over?
I know it can be done but.......How did you do it?

Unless it stopped with a piston at tdc they all would be partially up/down and you can measure them where they are at. There are only two different sets of measurements if there are no bent rods.
Take a peak at SISF video.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline rrman1

• jim
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2014, 07:30:26 PM »
removed plugs.  inserted long screwdriver w small tight rubber hose on it to mark measurements.  compared 1 to 4 and 2 to 3, top of piston to top of valve cover.  #4 shorter than #1 by 3/16.   #4 rod bent.   explained under  THE BIKE-C10   TECHNICAL QUESTIONS.  HOW TO CHECK FOR BENT RODS.  also post on p.3 by steve shows utube video of procedure.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2014, 10:34:37 AM »
So sorry to hear that you bent a rod.
What plans do you have? Search for a used engine?
http://tinyurl.com/pb7ale2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcqaTJcsMFg&list=UUKqM1osolIY_lQf_kKy4kBw
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline rrman1

• jim
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2014, 11:42:59 AM »
found engine in flint mi.  trying to figure out the getting it part w seller.   $400 w carb mods done, 33k mi. 

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2014, 02:04:26 PM »
rrman, I'm less than 100 miles from you, if you need any help with swapping out the engine let me know. I'd be happy to help you.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline 86 4door

• Arena
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2014, 05:15:55 PM »
What a great offer, that's one of the reasons that make this board great

Offline JP

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2014, 07:18:50 PM »
Oops. Never mind.

Offline JP

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2014, 07:22:09 PM »
Good job! ;)

Offline rrman1

• jim
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2014, 07:47:03 PM »
roundhound,    thanks for the offer.  found shane cloer in calhoun at newly opened SIX4 MOTOWORKS who is doing the whole job including pulling engine.  a good friend, a new freind, told me about shane, who taught auto mechanics a gordon high for several years.  friend said ford dealer calls shane on occasion for help.   saw video of golf cart shane put a 350 chevy in running across the parking lot.  couldnt even see engine in cart.  he's had it a few days. cant wait to get back riding. just saw your post.