Author Topic: Rear suspension bushings  (Read 21927 times)

Offline John Mc

Re: Rear suspension bushings
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2011, 12:10:07 PM »
OK.  Thank you.

Offline m hanlen

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 12:13:55 PM »
One of the locations in the rocker will have 2 short bearing and in its place you will use one long (longer) bearing for better support.
Is that true for the other 2 @ 20 mm ID x 27 mm OD x 32 mm Length?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2011, 02:24:55 PM »
A 16 mm will be used in the ends of the dog bones where they attach to the swingarm and where the shock attaches to the rocker for a total of 3 bushings.

A 32 mm will be used where the rocker attaches to the frame, and the other will be installed in the rocker where the dog bones attaches for a total of 2 bushings.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 08:09:38 AM »
What's next, swing arm bushings, steering head bushings?
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2011, 03:48:03 PM »
What's next, swing arm bushings, steering head bushings?

Silly Wabbit.... Trix are for Kids!
Tony P. Crochet

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 06:56:57 AM »
I am looking at the part identified as Arm-Suspension,Uni Trak, #39007. I see that it uses two bearings in the center hole. My question is does this have a boss inside that the bearings mate against? Also, what would be the best way to remove the bearings?

Offline mlf73

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 12:14:12 PM »
I am looking at the part identified as Arm-Suspension,Uni Trak, #39007. I see that it uses two bearings in the center hole. My question is does this have a boss inside that the bearings mate against? Also, what would be the best way to remove the bearings?

It's been a while since I had mine apart but I don't recall anything in the bottom hole of the linkage along the lines of a boss or spacer or anything between the two sets of bearings.  As far as best way to remove the bearringa.....my low-tech garage called for the use of a socket just the right size to fit inside the hole and then use of a hammer to drive both bearings out.  Installation was just the reverse since I was moving my bearings from the stock linkage to a lowering link rather than replacing the bearings with bushing.
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline sroby

• 06 Blue C-10
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2012, 03:26:22 PM »
Bomer, in your first pics that is the swing arm bushing correct?  I was a little confused, I know we get 5 total to replace the ones on the rocker assmebly but does this include the new bushings for the swingarm.  In replacing the swinga rm bushing whats involved woth that any special tools is there another swingarm bushing on the back side?  Thx Steve
no.1 Dale Singleton fan along with King Kenny Roberts/Fast Freddie Spencer/ Steve and Shoodabeen.    aka (connkawi)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 05:18:50 PM »
Bomer, in your first pics that is the swing arm bushing correct?  I was a little confused, I know we get 5 total to replace the ones on the rocker assmebly but does this include the new bushings for the swingarm.  In replacing the swinga rm bushing whats involved woth that any special tools is there another swingarm bushing on the back side?  Thx Steve

You are not replacing anything that is permanently located in or on the swing-arm itself. You will be removing 4 bearings from the rocker and replacing with 3 as one of the longer bushings replaces 2 smaller bearings in the center position or perhaps the forward position depending on weather or not Kawasaki managed to botch the install as many bikes are found with 2 of the smaller the bearings in the wrong location. The other 2 bushings go to the end of the dog bone shaped linkages these in turn mount to the swing-arm via the shouldered bolts. Order the bushings as directed and remove the rocker arm as well as the two dog bones from the bike. Hammer out all bearings with a deep socket that just fits the ID of the rocker. You can also hammer in the new bushings the same way or use a bench vice to gently press the bushings into place. Believe me you can't install the bushings in the wrong locations unless your severely impaired.

It really is as simple as that.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 09:51:26 PM »
I thought I remembered that one or two of the bushings had to be trimmed down. Is that not true?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 10:43:55 PM »
I thought I remembered that one or two of the bushings had to be trimmed down. Is that not true?

Nope... No trimming required.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2012, 02:24:16 PM »
Ok, cool. I am glad I remembered it incorrectly  ;)

When installing the bearings, is it advisable to apply some lube to the surface you are installing the bearing to?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2012, 03:23:46 PM »
Ok, cool. I am glad I remembered it incorrectly  ;)

When installing the bearings, is it advisable to apply some lube to the surface you are installing the bearing to?

It is an interfearance press fit so any lube would be pressed out on install so the answer is no.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline sroby

• 06 Blue C-10
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2012, 05:00:32 PM »
Tony, I am squared away on the bushings.  My new Question is back at the swing arm bushing on the right side behind the bla.ck triangle plastic cover. What sort of maint do i need to do on this I.e . pull it out clean and regrease, What are the leading particulars on removing it and reinstall with porper torque specs is there one on the outside and the inside plsr?  thx in advance as always Steve
no.1 Dale Singleton fan along with King Kenny Roberts/Fast Freddie Spencer/ Steve and Shoodabeen.    aka (connkawi)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2012, 06:01:01 PM »
Tony, I am squared away on the bushings.  My new Question is back at the swing arm bushing on the right side behind the black.ck triangle plastic cover. What sort of maint do i need to do on this I.e . pull it out clean and re-grease, What are the leading particulars on removing it and reinstall with proper torque specs is there one on the outside and the inside plsr?  thx in advance as always Steve

The Swing-Arm pivots on a pair of tapered cylindrical Roller Bearings very similar to the steering neck bearings; on higher mileage bikes they may need to be removed cleaned and greased to which there is a specific set of instructions in the Service Manual that lists the torque spec.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 07:53:32 AM »
It's been reported by more than one individual that they found very little lube on the swing arm bearings. Mine had very little when I pulled them the first time.

Offline sroby

• 06 Blue C-10
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2012, 05:45:57 PM »
very good sirs I will checkem out. thx Steve

Offline midnightrider

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2012, 07:24:27 AM »
At the risk of sounding stupid, you can really feel a difference in the rear with this mod?
2004 C10 RIP

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2012, 07:42:42 AM »
At the risk of sounding stupid, you can really feel a difference in the rear with this mod?

I feel that I can tell a difference in smoothness, quietness, and yes in tightness but I've also fitted an extra bushing in the bolt fit of the dog bone to the rocker that removed any and all remaining slop in the linkage. Any slop can be felt as a jolt when crossing heavy bumps.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 04:10:05 PM by T Cro ® »
Tony P. Crochet

Offline midnightrider

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2012, 09:09:59 AM »
Thanks T. It seemed worth it just to stop the uneven wear on the bolts. I know this jolt you speak of, it would be nice to get rid of it.
2004 C10 RIP