Author Topic: Adjustable windshield UPDATED w/ PICS on Page 3& 4  (Read 12753 times)

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: Adjustable windshield
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 02:11:09 PM »
I purchased a set of Firecreek Slides and a Gustafsson windshield and Bill made one for my bike also. 

It didn't happen if we can't see pictures (and close-ups)!
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Gene W

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 03:41:25 PM »
Regarding the edges:

When I make windshields for my bike, I cut the top shape with a fine toothed saber saw blade and then I do the final shaping with a random orbit sander. Finaly, I use progressively finer sand paper on a wood block to soften the edge radius. It looks pretty much like a factory shield’s edge when done.

Here is a tool that provides an alternative to sandpaper for edge work on your shields:

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Plastic_Tools/EDGESCRAPER

I’m interested to see what you come up with.

Gene

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 05:52:43 AM »
Regarding the edges:

When I make windshields for my bike, I cut the top shape with a fine toothed saber saw blade and then I do the final shaping with a random orbit sander. Finaly, I use progressively finer sand paper on a wood block to soften the edge radius. It looks pretty much like a factory shield’s edge when done.

Here is a tool that provides an alternative to sandpaper for edge work on your shields:

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Plastic_Tools/EDGESCRAPER

Thanks Gene, I've been in a stall over the edges.  When use the orbital.... what grit do you start with?

I’m interested to see what you come up with.

Gene

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 10:01:51 PM »
A tip I got from SiSF on finishing the edges, works quite well. Get the edge you want, then go over it LIGHTLY with a hand held propane torch, just enough to slightly melt the rough stuff. Leaves a nice, smooth edge.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline deadzed

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2011, 07:20:02 AM »
When polishing dental acrylic for false teeth, I use foam sanding blocks & emery boards sold for acrylic nails.
What feels smooth to a tongue is pretty damn smooth.

Also this: How to Polish and Shape Plastic Edges
“And I to my motorcycle. Parked like the soul of the junkyard restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off up Highway 106, continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed. Wild to be wreckage forever”
James Dickey

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 04:58:38 AM »
I had a small set back..... The Cee Baily I was using as a base; cracked. Right down the middle.  I just made the final cut, placed it on the table, then as I was putting slight pressure on it, snap! I should have drilled a hole at the end of the cut, before cutting, not after.
Does anyone have an old, scratched or fogging, windshield they are not using? I need to cut it up and paint it black, so as long as the screw hole areas are good. 

Offline 2001concours

• 2001concours website
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 04:23:40 PM »
Basically static dust matter within a day.

What do you mean by coating? I cut the heck out of my Cee Baily and there is not too much between them.... If anyone hasn't noticed, I'm not afraid to cut.
2001 Concours with 90k miles, heavily modified.
Lots of how to images on my webshots folders
http://community.webshots.com/user/2001concours

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 04:35:10 PM »
Takes time to post pics? Come on, you know you want to show us.
You asked if anyone was interested. I don't have a C-10, but that's doesn't mean I don't want to see pics. Really. If its so much trouble don't bother, but I'd like to see how it comes along.
I enjoyed your fairing pics, but still didn't reply to your thread. Many of us are just lurkers in some of the threads.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 05:16:20 PM »
Takes time to post pics? Come on, you know you want to show us.
You asked if anyone was interested. I don't have a C-10, but that's doesn't mean I don't want to see pics. Really. If its so much trouble don't bother, but I'd like to see how it comes along.
I enjoyed your fairing pics, but still didn't reply to your thread. Many of us are just lurkers in some of the threads.

I would love to show you but, the cee baily I was using as a support base cracked during cutting. Now I only have a pile of parts to show you. If you like I can show or tell you my next move. Don't  laugh.... I'm fiberglassing a mold from my cracked windshield. Once the mold is done, I plan to make a fiberglass support. It was either fiberglass or I was going to put a piece of lexan in my wifes oven heat to 250 for 5 min and lay it over top of the cee baily. to make a new one... only problem is will it crack during cutting?
So fiberglass it is.
I've been busy with work and garage time is limited....  will try to get a picture of the adjustable part this weekend.

Offline Connito

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011, 06:55:41 PM »
I, just like Mr. Pepsi and I'm sure many more, am a lurker. I would be very interested to see how it turns out, as well as some pictures of the process. Do you think a rifle base would be a good idea to use instead of a cut windshield or a fiberglass mold?

Cheers,
Pete

BTW, I LOVE your fairing!

"Old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it”

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2011, 08:23:46 PM »
I, just like Mr. Pepsi and I'm sure many more, am a lurker. I would be very interested to see how it turns out, as well as some pictures of the process. Do you think a rifle base would be a good idea to use instead of a cut windshield or a fiberglass mold?

Cheers,
Pete

BTW, I LOVE your fairing!
I thought about a rifle base, but it still will have to be altered. It needs to be slightly higher on the outsides to find the arms.  Probably the best thing would be to buy a new tall windshield, cut it in half and use both halves for the job............... 

Offline Connito

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2011, 05:13:47 AM »
I see. Can't wait to see it!

Cheers,
Pete

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2011, 03:32:11 PM »
yes keep us up to date, since i bought my dremel i have made two shields 10" 12" it would be nice to have 21" and have it adjustable down to 10" for summer.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2011, 05:11:14 PM »
yes keep us up to date, since i bought my dremel i have made two shields 10" 12" it would be nice to have 21" and have it adjustable down to 10" for summer.

Cold weather is no problem....... big as possible, but  in summer when your speed slows, you want the air. then back up on the hwy to kill the noise.

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2011, 05:06:14 PM »
Sounds like a cool idea! 
About 1/3 of the way thru I thought of suggesting a Rifle base, but you posted about that later...

Anyway, very interested to see how this all works out!  Could be a great addition!
Say what?

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2011, 10:25:58 AM »
Okay I made a fiberglass base. The windshield will be manual. Better control, light weight, and only 1.5 turns from bottom to fully raised.  It was a lot easier too!

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2011, 10:28:25 AM »
I made a fiberglass base to hold the arms

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
I used a knob from mcmaster carr. 1.5 turns to fully up. alot of work left to do, but I wanted to show you guys my progress. This project is one of many I am in the middle of and progress is slow. My wifes projects seem to get priority. I sneak bike projects in when see is not paying attention.

Offline Connito

Re: Adjustable windshield UPDATED w/ PICS on Page 3
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2011, 04:02:02 PM »
Looks great!!! I think fiberglass IS the way to go. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Cheers,
Pete

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
Re: Adjustable windshield UPDATED w/ PICS on Page 3
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2011, 05:51:55 PM »
Agreed looks good
...and a good time was had by all.