Author Topic: Wheel Bearing replacement  (Read 5263 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Wheel Bearing replacement
« on: November 03, 2014, 08:43:01 AM »
I just did this and it was fairly easy with the right tools.  Bike had 61K miles on it.  The reason for doing so was that I've had a severe front brake judder for a long time.  Read an article that it could be caused by bad bearings.  There was no detectable play in the wheel up and down and side to side.  With the calipers off and the wheel rotating, there was no noise and it felt smooth, but being as it had 61k miles on it, I thought what the heck.

Tools I used were a bearing removal tool such as :  http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Bearing-Remover-Separator-Extractor/dp/B005SUVQUK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415029155&sr=8-1&keywords=motorcycle+bearing+removal+tool

Specifically the 25mm insert.  Bearings used were ALL BALLS 25-1273.  This kit comes with two bearings and two seals.

Here's a video of how the bearing tool works...and it worked darn well.  I used the old bearing to drive in the new one until it was about flush and then used a 32mm socket I had to drive it in the rest of the way.  The socket could have been a tad bigger...33mm?

In taking a short ride afterwards the juddering was about 80% gone.  The bearings may have had something to do with it.  I'll have to do some riding to know for sure.

Remove Front Wheel Bearings
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 01:59:04 PM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.