Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 303008 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #840 on: May 29, 2017, 05:04:52 PM »
I just watched my football (soccer to you guys) team (Huddersfield Town) win promotion the next seasons premiership and receive a £200 million pay off in the process....yeah really  :o   

I've also been watching bloody Rabbits eat our border plants...I feel a drastic solution coming on    :cannon:     

Since your leaders have decided you Brits are unfit to own firearms are you going to hide in the bushes and wack'em with a club?

Offline O.C.

« Reply #841 on: May 29, 2017, 10:52:15 PM »
Since your leaders have decided you Brits are unfit to own firearms are you going to hide in the bushes and wack'em with a club?

We can still own firearms here in the U.K but must have a reason, bona fida designated usage location, or join an approved club when an approved certificate can be issued by the police at their discretion.

I used to own a couple of 12 gauge shotguns, and a few rifles (.22 rim fire, 222 & 247 calibre) which I used for hunting, but as my needs for them lessened it became obvious that there was no longer a need for me to renew my certification so I sold them.

I still have a .22 air rifle which would work well on the Rabbit invasion, but my better half is not in favour of that policy   ::) 

I'm sure that gun crime in the U.K has increased quite substantially since the ban on firearms was introduced, (I don''t have the figures) demonstrating that by driving firearms 'underground' and away from legal /responsible ownership doesn't seem to have worked, but, hey, that's another story and in the meantime the rabbit population around here is getting fatter at our expense, it's still better living in the country than a town where there is very few Rabbits ( Oryctolagus cuniculus )exist
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #842 on: May 30, 2017, 05:05:21 AM »
I just watched my football (soccer to you guys) team (Huddersfield Town) win promotion the next seasons premiership and receive a £200 million pay off in the process....yeah really  :o   

I've also been watching bloody Rabbits eat our border plants...I feel a drastic solution coming on    :cannon:     

I have the same feelings towards squirrels but am not allowed to do more than  wave at them.   I think they're laughing at me.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #843 on: May 30, 2017, 07:06:19 AM »
I have the same feelings towards squirrels but am not allowed to do more than  wave at them.   I think they're laughing at me.

Do they wave back?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #844 on: May 30, 2017, 07:40:01 AM »
Not that I can tell...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #845 on: May 30, 2017, 07:48:22 AM »
I'm sure that gun crime in the U.K has increased quite substantially since the ban on firearms was introduced, (I don''t have the figures) demonstrating that by driving firearms 'underground' and away from legal /responsible ownership doesn't seem to have worked,

It never really works.  When good, law-abiding citizens are denied access to the tools needed to protect themselves and their families from the unexpected, unknown, and yet ever-present, the only people with guns will be the bad people/criminals/terrorists and the police/government.  And the police/government will be happy to show up way AFTER a citizen is beaten, stabbed, raped, abducted, or shot to take a report while the criminal is long gone.  But hey, maybe with 1,000,000 cameras watching everything everyone does, perhaps there is a slight chance a perpetrator might be identified one day...   that should be comforting!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #846 on: May 30, 2017, 07:49:59 AM »
I just finished watching the first season of "The Last Kingdom" on Netflix streaming.  GOOD STUFF!!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #847 on: May 30, 2017, 08:14:42 AM »
I just finished watching the first season of "The Last Kingdom" on Netflix streaming.  GOOD STUFF!!!

I just looked at the reviews of this and that does sound good! I'll have to check this one out.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #848 on: May 30, 2017, 12:08:26 PM »
I just looked at the reviews of this and that does sound good! I'll have to check this one out.

I've watched both seasons and it is quite good.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #849 on: May 30, 2017, 01:54:39 PM »
House of Cards season 5 has been released today. I think Kirby might be doing a little binge watching......

The first two seasons were excellent IMO. The last two were good but have fallen off a bit, though that is probably to be expected for all series, at least those with so many episodes.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #850 on: May 30, 2017, 02:21:57 PM »
House of Cards season 5 has been released today. I think Kirby might be doing a little binge watching...... 

I am off today, so I am binging on season 2 of The Last Kingdom.  But I noted the banner for HOC sea5 this morning... so I guess that is on my non-productive-to-do-list also.

The first two seasons were excellent IMO. The last two were good but have fallen off a bit, though that is probably to be expected for all series, at least those with so many episodes.

Agreed.  The first couple of seasons were absolutely riveting.  The next two were just very good.

Other series I love (in no particular order, and I am sure I am leaving out a lot of them):

Flash
Marco Polo
Lucifer
Breaking Bad
South Park
Sopranos
Orange is the new Black
Better Call Saul
Oz
Futurama
Lost
Game of Thrones
X-Files
House of Cards
Carol Burnett Show
Muppet Show
Battlestar Galactica (2000's)
Stranger Things
Family Guy
Most anything Star Trek, especially TNG and Yoyager
House

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #851 on: May 31, 2017, 08:38:22 AM »

Brian

Agree completely! It was better when he was just the house whip. I've now watched the first 3 of season 5. Still entertaining but not as good as the first 2 seasons. It's a little disconcerting watching this series because you don't want it to be how things are done in Washington but your pretty sure this is exactly how stuff happens in DC.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #852 on: May 31, 2017, 11:27:31 AM »
Speaking about House of Cards here: I think a virtually insurmountable problem with seasons 1&2 is that they were leading up to a very specific point (gaining the Presidency). After that had happened, I think it took a lot of the anticipation as well as the entire goal out of the plot. And a new plot just cannot have the clarity or 'tunnel vision' of the first one so it loses a lot of intensity.... or at least that is what I think.

Another fantastic series, perhaps the best one, had a similar problem; Breaking Bad. That had several plots all interwoven so could never lose all of them but I think it lost a lot of intensity after the resolution of the Walt / Gus situation (for those who have not seen it, do not want to give it away). The next season sort of wandered around and did lose intensity and I thought it was going to fall off to the point of not being interesting enough to watch anymore. Then came season 5 (which after it was lengthened, split in half and shown over two years is really season 5 and season 6), Hank, the toilet and that book and fixed EVERYTHING. The plot made a radical turn but the quality of the series was restored, at least IMO. All capped off by what is probably the best series finally in history.

When entertainment is bad, it can really be awful. When it is good, it can range from OK to truly outstanding. The outstanding versions are rare but all the better because of it when they do appear.

Back to the beginning: I have high hopes but reasonable expectations for House of Cards. That said, it IS a quality production with excellent talent (who would have thought Princess Buttercup could be such an outstanding dramatic character?). And besides, H of C has been released right in the middle of Fargo S3, so even it is sucks, there is still something excellent to watch.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #853 on: May 31, 2017, 11:33:13 AM »
Also happened to see 'USS Indianapolis: Men of Courage'. Lousy movie IMO. They had enough plot to work with but between miss- casting and some truly, amazingly atrocious special effects (imagine CGI done on a Commodore 64, then divide that quality by 12 and you will be in the realm of how bad it really is).

If anyone IS interested in a well- told rendition of the USS Indianapolis, grab a copy of Jaws and watch / listen to Robert Shaw tell his version of what happened to the ship and crew; infinitely better and takes a lot less time.

Brian

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #854 on: May 31, 2017, 01:09:51 PM »
If anyone IS interested in a well- told rendition of the USS Indianapolis, grab a copy of Jaws and watch / listen to Robert Shaw tell his version of what happened to the ship and crew; infinitely better and takes a lot less time.

Plus, one of the best scenes in any movie as the guy was a terrible alcoholic and was pretty well sloshed during that scene if I remember correctly.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #855 on: June 03, 2017, 05:44:17 PM »
OK, finished literally binge- watching H of C last night. Very interesting season in a lot of different ways, and kudos to whoever writes / produces / directs (several episodes directed by Robin Wright I happened to notice).

First of all, great job of 'pulling the fat out of the fire' and working with a plot that was basically toast a season or two ago. As I said, they got me to binge watch it so it was good enough to not walk away from the last 4 or 5 episodes.

Second, it the plot would have ludicrous aspects to it except for the fact that the entire American political scene is ludicrous is real life. Normally, large parts of the plot would be simply ridiculous but they seem far less so now that reality is simply ridiculous.....

Overall, I would give it a B+ or maybe even an A- but as I said, they managed to sink the hook into my cheek so I guess they deserve a higher grade. Very few TV series I cannot walk away from at any point (with the idea of going back and finishing perhaps but just not a slave to the TV or the series).

As usual, the acting, production standards and general presentation is first class.... still. Of course it does star Keven Spacey an infinitely watchable actor (and I ain't even a little bit..... er, ..... you know....., uhm......  Spacey have to impress me from ALL the way across the Kinsey scale). And let's face it, it would be at least even money on Keyser Söze facing off against William Munny (two of my all- time favorite actors, in two of my all- time favorite movies BTW).

Finally, after all is said and done, and we are now three years beyond the end of the original plot and entire basis of the series, they left room for a sixth season and I have to say..... I will grab at least the first few episodes to see if there is anything worth watching or not, without any certainty that the series is really 'toast'.

Brian (pleasantly surprised at H of C S5)

Brian

Offline Conrad

« Reply #856 on: June 04, 2017, 06:58:49 AM »
Finished up the final season of Bloodline on Netflix.

Damn good entertainment but the last couple of episodes got a lil weird.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #857 on: June 04, 2017, 09:02:23 AM »
The film "Nixon and Elvis". Silly, but funny. A true story with imagined dialogue of what may have been said.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #858 on: June 12, 2017, 08:39:27 AM »
Into The Badlands has some of the best fight scenes ever!   :thumbs:

Started watching season 2.   Reminds me of the chinese kung fu movies.  I also don't think it's as good as the first season.............yet.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #859 on: June 12, 2017, 09:09:47 AM »
Started watching season 2.   Reminds me of the chinese kung fu movies.  I also don't think it's as good as the first season.............yet.

If it tells you anything, I've had the final two episodes on the DVR for weeks and I still haven't watched them.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"