Author Topic: Stupid is as stupid does  (Read 33645 times)

Offline Conrad

Stupid is as stupid does
« on: December 27, 2017, 06:04:17 AM »
My son sent me a link to this insanity on Fakebook.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/1576329699361266/permalink/2092143477779883/

I looked for that vid on youtube but couldn't find it. I found this one instead, which is equally as stupid.

! No longer available

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Stupid is as stupid does
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 06:14:27 AM »
Yeah, but it was kinda' cool.

For one minute there, while they were getting 'in position', my mind was screaming a gigantic Easy Boys!.

Brian

I looked for that vid on youtube but couldn't find it. I found this one instead, which is equally as stupid.

! No longer available
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 08:32:30 AM »
Brian, I thought they were getting ready for some roadskull too!!!  LOL
The guy is obviously talented and practiced to the point where he can control the bike with confidence. 

That being said, I’ve seen too many fatals when showing off goes very, very badly.  We had this guy doing a 100mph+ wheelie on his ‘Busa drift of a county road and sheer off a power pole at its base.  Of course, his club erected a monument to the last, most stupid thing he ever did...
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 03:24:33 PM »

They are "dressed" with sleeveless T-shirts, torn cotton pants, and tennis shoes.  I can't think of anything more stupid.

[I looked for that vid on youtube but couldn't find it. I found this one instead, which is equally as stupid.

! No longer available

Why does it not surprise me they are dressed almost as stupidly.   Why not just wear shorts and flip-flops too?  Or perhaps naked, since it looks like that is what they were going to do anyway.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 03:46:53 PM »
Yeah, I thought I was on the wrong forum for a minute.  ;D

And that was my point regarding it being cool: something can be stupid and highly skilled, and well- executed at the same time. And I have no trouble acknowledging both things at the same time... it is stupid AND cool. :-)

Sorta' like mountain climbing into the 'death zone' (above 25,000 feet, where mammals cannot survive); I have all the respect in the world for the physical condition, the mental tanacity and overall skills while at the same time fully acknowledging it is simply a stupid thing to do. Not as stupid as free- climbing, which I have zero respect for but still, pretty stupid to go to a place where one cannot live. Duh. And Bravo! 

And a lot of us do / have done some stupid but maybe cool things as well. And in my own personal experience, those who never have done anything on the dumb side are frankly a little boring and have a stick up their.... well, you know. I am not encouraging bad behavior, just pointing out that the world is a big place and there is a huge range of behavior and a lot of it overlaps different areas all at the same time. Personally, I really like the stupid / cool method of tire seating using ether and a match but hey, fun is where one finds it.

Brian

Brian, I thought they were getting ready for some roadskull too!!!  LOL
The guy is obviously talented and practiced to the point where he can control the bike with confidence. 

That being said, I’ve seen too many fatals when showing off goes very, very badly.  We had this guy doing a 100mph+ wheelie on his ‘Busa drift of a county road and sheer off a power pole at its base.  Of course, his club erected a monument to the last, most stupid thing he ever did...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 04:45:21 PM »
And that was my point regarding it being cool: something can be stupid and highly skilled, and well- executed at the same time. And I have no trouble acknowledging both things at the same time... it is stupid AND cool. :-)

I have a hard time seeing past the stupidity.  Although what they are doing is technically very interesting, it is so incredibly irresponsible, to themselves and everyone else on the road, (and people in nearby houses having to listen to it, too) that it just makes me angry.

Now get off my lawn!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 04:54:01 PM »
Yeah, I know. But you and I are fundamentally different and so that is no doubt the difference between our opinions of the save event.

Myself, I would rather not have the entire world follow all of the rules, all of the time. It would be too boring. Now please understand I am not advocating mass- murder, global nuclear war or anything, just that some of those people out there on the fringes make the whole experience (life) more interesting, at least for me. An entire community (read: country, section of the planet, whatever) marching along, in- step, would be a bit too pedestrian for me. I like some of that 'Hey Bubba', hold my beer and watch this!' stuff. I actually like watching people inflate tires and seat the beads with ether and a match- I would not have thought of it, I am surprised it works, and in the end, it seems to work pretty well. Not saying everyone should sell all tire mounting equipment and use ether, just that it makes a more interesting world, at least to me, to see the envelope pushed a little bit.

What that kid and the girl did on that bike was stupid, and I would give one of my own kids a 'cuff' for doing it but still, it DOES show a good deal of skill and ability. All part of the big cosmic mix from where I sit.....

Brian

I have a hard time seeing past the stupidity.  Although what they are doing is technically very interesting, it is so incredibly irresponsible, to themselves and everyone else on the road, (and people in nearby houses having to listen to it, too) that it just makes me angry.

Now get off my lawn!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 07:31:43 PM »
I'm agreeing with Max on this, it was totally stupid and gives the rest of the MC community a bad name.  Why not do it on an exhibition basis in a controlled area rather than a public road pissing off the rest of the people off on it?  The skill of the guy is totally non-important as the bystanders are thinking what a jackass.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 07:51:51 PM »
Myself, I would rather not have the entire world follow all of the rules, all of the time. It would be too boring.

Had they worn proper safety gear, and did this on a closed course where they didn't threaten other people's lives or annoy everyone or further the negative stereotype of MC riders, I wouldn't mind a bit.  I would still think they were crazy, though :)

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 08:12:52 PM »
Had they worn proper safety gear, and did this on a closed course where they didn't threaten other people's lives or annoy everyone or further the negative stereotype of MC riders, I wouldn't mind a bit.  I would still think they were crazy, though :)

Kind of like the YouTube videos of ghost rider over in Europe. I can appreciate the skill it takes to be able to ride like he does, but why do it on public roads? He would be a natural on a course like the Isle of Mann TT.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 01:39:49 AM »
Well, not all the by-standers; some of them think 'Hey, that is a very skilled, able jackass over there'.

;) ;D

I would not try the 'ether tire bead setting' method either but I would certainly pull up a chair and watch someone else do it.

Besides all that, most of us consume alcohol and that, as far as I can see, is a 100% stupid move. It has absolutely no benefit whatsoever and yet certain has downsides, some of them severe. So to put a label on it, the consumption of alcohol is just foolish and without merit. But regardless of the social value it certainly does provide a significant amusement factor (not drunk driving of course but drunk walking, drunk talking and sometimes, just 'drunk trying to maintain vertical placement'). Should anyone not believe this, I present the 'World's drunkest man goes for more beer' cleverly interlaced with the theme from the movie 2001: A space oddity....   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5tFKsiPi_Y

Brian

I'm agreeing with Max on this, it was totally stupid and gives the rest of the MC community a bad name.  Why not do it on an exhibition basis in a controlled area rather than a public road pissing off the rest of the people off on it?  The skill of the guy is totally non-important as the bystanders are thinking what a jackass.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 04:21:06 AM »
I enjoyed this one... https://youtu.be/KOk7PSkHJsw

and something along the line Brian is talking about, not for me but incredible to watch... https://youtu.be/6Z7pUzghJX4

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 06:04:38 AM »
Now that second video is truly impressive. I had not seen a recovery before- all the para-gliders I have seen in the past set down on some part of Mother Earth, sometimes in a big stack of cardboard boxes. But that 'back into the plane' shtick was really outstanding IMO.

And yet somehow, I doubt the FAA would have accepted that flight plan in the first place.  ;)

Brian

I enjoyed this one... https://youtu.be/KOk7PSkHJsw

and something along the line Brian is talking about, not for me but incredible to watch... https://youtu.be/6Z7pUzghJX4

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 06:13:19 AM »
I wonder what 'Plan B' was? 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 06:57:44 AM »
Yeah, but it was kinda' cool.

For one minute there, while they were getting 'in position', my mind was screaming a gigantic Easy Boys!.

Brian

That's what I thought too! But then I thought, how is she gonna do that with a helmet on?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2017, 07:41:17 AM »
That's what I thought too! But then I thought, how is she gonna do that with a helmet on?

It gives a whole new perspective on the number 12 + 57

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 04:55:08 AM »
I've said this for a number of years now, people are getting more and more stupid.

Poison control calls 'spike' due to online laundry pod challenge

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/17/health/tide-laundry-pod-challenge-poison-control/index.html

It used to be that washing your kid's mouth out with soap was seen as a punishment. Now, authorities are trying to keep teens from doing just that.

Teens have been increasingly biting into laundry pods, with some posting the videos online as part of a "challenge," according to a statement Tuesday by the American Association of Poison Control Centers. The results can be potentially harmful or even deadly.

In the first 15 days of the new year, poison control centers received 39 such calls -- the same number they received in all of 2016, the association said.

In videos posted on YouTube and social media, people gag, cough and sometimes begin foaming at the mouth after biting into laundry pods.

"The 'laundry packet challenge' is neither funny nor without serious health implications," Stephen Kaminski, the association's CEO and executive director, said in a statement Tuesday. "We have seen a large spike in single-load laundry packet exposures among teenagers since these videos have been uploaded."

Poison control centers have handled over 50,000 calls about laundry packets over the past five years, the vast majority being accidents involving kids younger than 5 years old. But 13- to 19-year-olds have been responsible for more than 130 intentional exposures since 2016, according to the association.

The laundry pods, which contain brightly colored detergent packaged in a clear film, dissolve easily in water. But they can also release their toxic ingredients when they come into contact with saliva or wet hands, according to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission.

"The liquid detergent in the pods is not the same as regular liquid detergent. It has a higher concentration of surfactants, chemicals that are responsible for stain removal," Eric J. Moorhead, president and principal scientist of Good Chemistry LLC, previously told CNN.

In the past, children have been hospitalized with difficulty breathing, loss of consciousness and temporary vision loss due to chemical burns to the eye, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. In 2015, laundry packets were the third most common cause of unintentional poisoning in children under 5, behind acetaminophen and blood pressure medication.

The ingredients in laundry pods might also cause seizures, fluid in the lungs, respiratory arrest, coma or death, according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers.
"The intentional misuse of these products poses a real threat to the health of individuals," Kaminski said.

Tide warns consumers on packaging that the laundry pods can be harmful if put in the mouth or eyes.

In a statement from Tide's parent company, Procter & Gamble, representative Petra Renck wrote, "Nothing is more important to us than the safety of people who use our products. We are deeply concerned about conversations related to intentional and improper use of liquid laundry pacs and have been working with leading social media networks to remove harmful content that is not consistent with their policies."

The company has released its own messages on social media, saying that the pods should be used for doing laundry -- and nothing else.

The laundry pods' colorful design has come under some criticism for their gelatinous, dessert-like appearance.

"What they need to do now is first of all, take these things off the shelves, and ... put them back in a way that does not look edible, appetizing, exciting or anything else," branding expert Bruce Turkel, CEO of Turkel Brands, told CNN's Richard Quest on Monday.

"You want to have a real challenge?" Turkel asked. "Get teenagers to do their own laundry."

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 04:57:30 AM »
future Darwin winners

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 04:58:10 AM »
Remember back when you were growing up and you did something stupid just because your friends did it? Your mom would ask you, "if your friends jumped off of a bridge would you do the same?"

It's seems that teens these day will jump off the damn bridge, as long as their friends are posting vids of it online that is.  :o

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 05:27:05 AM »
I learned early in life that I was fully capable of doing stupid stuff on my own without having to watch someone do something stupid first.