Author Topic: It's about to get a bit busier around here  (Read 4484 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: It's about to get a bit busier around here
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2020, 06:50:30 AM »
I am still a dues paying member of COG. Not sure how long that will last. I spend more time on this forum. I am also a member of MSTA and  run the MSTA forum at www.ridemsta.com. RideMSTA has always had two member groups, members and forum subscribers, with members able to access significant added value in member only sections. I think this would be a better option for COG.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2020, 07:03:40 AM »
Never been a fee here; past, present, future.

Just sayin...

Rick

Thank you.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2020, 05:22:12 PM »
I was a paid up member of COG for about 15 years.
I stopped paying when the Concourier dropped to one (or zero) editions per year.
Living over here none of the other benefits are of any use to me.
If they want paid up members only, good luck to them.
The forum is not worth $37 to me.
I think it's short sighted and will see their membership plummet.

Rick, we all love and appreciate you  ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2020, 08:55:27 PM »
Thank Y'all, and you're welcome. Every single one of you.

It's a recurring topic, why don't I charge a fee. If I were to charge a fee, that implies I should provide an arbitrary level of service lest some users get pissed off and leave. Since I don't charge anything, Y'all got nothing to bitch about when this server goes down for various and sundry reasons, and it has. Many times.

Jim and Tony have instructions on how to continue the legacy should I expire in my sleep tonight. If they understand those instructions is another story, but they have them. Direct costs are covered for a few years after I expire, then Jim/Tony may ask for a contribution... against my wishes. But by then, FakeBook and/or InstaPound may reign supreme, or the Concours is end of life. Until that time, enjoy the Admin's generosity and pay YOUR 'dues' by posting useful information to new and existing Concours owners, that's all we ask. And if the money runs out, and this forum goes TU, I'll refund every dime you paid to keep her running.

It's really quite simple when you think about it, almost Communistic. "From those that have, to those than have not". But this type of comment (or reply) is reserved for "The Arena" ;)

Rick

Rick, we all love and appreciate you  ;D
Thank you.
The only obligation I have is my own feeling that I want to contribute effort and content.  And that means to share what I have learned and try to help others, so hopefully they can benefit more, just like I have benefited.
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2020, 11:29:27 PM »

Pretty sure we can cope with the additional loads.... ;)

Well I guess you should know, but I'd check the sharpness of the back up sword just in case. It might have a hint of rust on it and let you down when you need it.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2020, 07:58:35 AM »
This is the first that I've heard of this. I scan COG just about everyday but somehow missed the notice.

I was a dues payer at that site for a couple years early on but let my membership expire, for numerous reasons. I've been a member of both sites since early 2009 or so, or whenever the split took place.

Oh well.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2020, 04:11:41 PM »
So say a person signs on as a forum subscriber and in six months gets the boot cause he/she didn't buy into what they're selling, is said person then proscribed from ever being a forum subscriber again? I'd ask over there but I can't unless I sign on to be a forum subscriber which would start the six month doomsday countdown.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2020, 04:37:40 PM »
No, of course not. Join the forum (pay the dues) and get full access at any time.

And just to be clear, when the six months is up, a forum subscriber does not 'get the boot', not at all. Anyone / everyone can still read the COG forum but you cannot search, and you cannot post. But anyone can read most though not all of the forum without logging in, which is how it will be after the six months trial period.

At least that is how I understand it. I have no information other than what is already published on the COG website and so may well be wrong.

As I understand it, this change was done in response to some members feeling they were footing the bill and forum subscribers were sort of hanging on for free. Back when I was a member, there was a lot of abuse delivered by forum members (read: not dues paying members), and I viewed it as basically I was paying for others to be obnoxious and abusive. The current changes have absolutely nothing to do with me as I have not been a member of COG since '14 IIRC but the principle still applies, again at least in my opinion. And this is just one of many changes COG management has made to the forum to improve things and reduce or eliminate obnoxious behavior, and I believe it has been successful overall.   

One other thought- dues are only $37 / year and that is really not a big deal for most, maybe all, who own and ride a motorcycle anyway. What is that, basically one oil change per year and even then not with the high- dollar oil? Decent headlight bulbs are close to that in cost and no one would lay-up a motorcycle because it blew out a headlight lamp.

So say a person signs on as a forum subscriber and in six months gets the boot cause he/she didn't buy into what they're selling, is said person then proscribed from ever being a forum subscriber again? I'd ask over there but I can't unless I sign on to be a forum subscriber which would start the six month doomsday countdown.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2020, 01:43:00 PM »
I'm out there as well. I'm full paid till next year, (just renewed last month) and its not the money. its the way it was done, and then the reactions of the mods to the comments.  Its going to push out more paid members than they think.   

I've lurked here a long time, but the cog forum is, to me, not where i want to be anymore. They can have it.
I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2020, 03:52:20 PM »
Never been a fee here; past, present, future.
Just sayin...     Rick

If my memory is correct: {??}
When I joined COG / 2000, we had a List Server(??).
     It was outdated and kinda difficult to use.
So, you developed a Forum to replace it.
During those days, there was not a charge for access, but a person "had" to be a COG Member to read/post to either?

Later, your Forum was replaced by the COG Forum and the ZGGTR Forum was introduced.
{NOTE: I'll leave it at that as I know there are some tender feelings involved}.

Some time later, COG added Forum Subscribers to the new Forum?
  The reason COG gave for adding Forum Subscribers was to introduce other Riders to COG.
      {After getting to know us, (Hopefully) they would join COG}

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 04:25:34 PM by connie_rider »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2020, 04:51:26 PM »
Later, your Forum was replaced by the COG Forum and the ZGGTR Forum was introduced.

I think that is what Rick is referring to as having always been open and free, is zggtr.org.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2020, 05:27:09 PM »
Ahh sooo.
{err} I mean "OOps"....  :loco: :nuts:

My mistake.
     I stand,,, "Corrected"

Ride safe, Ted

Offline sport rider

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2020, 07:14:50 AM »
membership lapsed back in March.  got the heck out of there due to poor executive leadership.  don't miss it a bit.  here in the SE, we have ROSE, which I understand is a thorn in the ass of some in COG.  Those in power f*ed up a good thing and alienated a lot of good people.  now they can lay in it.     ;D ;D ;D

Offline m in sc

• 2 stroke world
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2020, 08:18:42 AM »
serious question: whats 'ROSE'? Acronym, or 'rose' in board members?
I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2020, 08:42:55 AM »
It seems to me that if you freely give useful information on a forum, you should be able to freely take useful information. They'll likely lose some very good info by not allowing non dues paying members to post.
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2020, 10:31:38 AM »
serious question: whats 'ROSE'? Acronym, or 'rose' in board members?

I think it's Riders Of South East.

I've heard of it but I'm not sure if it's a a separate group like Two Wheeled Texans is or if it's a sub group of COG. If it's a sub group
that has become disgruntled with COG then it could be a mini mass exodus similar to the group of Michigan riders that left the MSTA
 a few years ago in a huff. However I'm just speculating since I don't live on that forum nor visit the COG facebook page very often. I rarely
know what is going on in COG until it's all over.  ???

Offline m in sc

• 2 stroke world
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2020, 12:32:03 PM »
that makes sense actually. thanks. (ROSE)

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2020, 12:18:18 AM »
If my memory is correct: {??}
At your (my) age? Be real ;)
When I joined COG / 2000, we had a List Server(??).
     It was outdated and kinda difficult to use.
So, you developed a Forum to replace it.
During those days, there was not a charge for access, but a person "had" to be a COG Member to read/post to either?
Mostly correct. Except for the fee, there was never one, and the mailing list WAS state of the art AT THAT TIME! It's just that some/many didn't like the format of a mailing list. Related, mailing lists still remain cool for 10-50 people. Unruly in excess of 100 users... 100 ACTIVE users. We (the official cog) passed 100 email users around 1996
{NOTE: I'll leave it at that as I know there are some tender feelings involved}.
Not gonna go there, at least in an public post.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline sport rider

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2020, 07:58:02 AM »
I think it's Riders Of South East.

I've heard of it but I'm not sure if it's a a separate group like Two Wheeled Texans is or if it's a sub group of COG. If it's a sub group
that has become disgruntled with COG then it could be a mini mass exodus similar to the group of Michigan riders that left the MSTA
 a few years ago in a huff. However I'm just speculating since I don't live on that forum nor visit the COG facebook page very often. I rarely
know what is going on in COG until it's all over.  ???

Separate group.  not affiliated with COG although some members of ROSE are in COG.  it started as an alternative to COG for southeastern riders, but has grown to include many from other motorcycle walks of life.    it's facebook only.  A social group for all riders who travel, camp and generally get together.  it just started this summer, so initial activities have been quite hampered by COVID problems.  if you'd like to see a bit of it, here's the FB page.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/657057978187342

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2020, 03:26:43 PM »
it's facebook only. 

Eeeeew.... gross!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc