Author Topic: FI Code  (Read 5431 times)

Offline wendel

FI Code
« on: March 15, 2012, 08:29:56 AM »
Do not know what caused this. Yesterday, I started the bike while I was putting on my helmet. Suddenly it stopped running and the FI warning came on. I tried to start it several times and no luck. I got home last night and figured what the heck, I will try it again. This time it started. Rode to breakfast this morning no problem.

1. What could have caused this?
2. Will the computer store a code that can be retrieved or will the computer forget the code now that the bike is running?

2012 Concours and it had less than 100 miles. Same gas that the dealership put in it when I took delivery. No issues before or after incident.
2012 C14

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: FI Code
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 10:26:31 AM »
You can search the forum and find a ton of info about it.

Mine flashes on every 2000-3000 miles since I've had it (but never held me up).
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 11:45:15 AM »
There's a method for retrieving stored error codes from the bike. I don't know if we have it on this site but over at the COG site they have it.

It says it's for '08/'09 C-14s but it should work on your bike too.

See post #2.

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,26973.msg141818.html#msg141818
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 12:01:40 PM »
You can search the forum and find a ton of info about it.

Mine flashes on every 2000-3000 miles since I've had it (but never held me up).

Me too. Just a few seconds on the screen. No other symptoms.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 12:22:53 PM »
Service Code Reading (from the service manual 08)

• Push and turn the key knob to ON
  • Push the upper button and lower button together for more than two seconds
  • The service code is displayed on the LCD
To end the diagnostic procedure, press both buttons for more than two seconds.  Turn the key knob OFF

This all assumes you have a stored code.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline wendel

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 01:21:20 PM »
Thankyou VirginiaJim.
2012 C14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 01:22:28 PM »
If you have any codes let us know but I think you should get the bike back to the dealer and have them look at it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 01:39:20 PM »
Just a wild guess but that sounds electrical, especially on an essentially brand new bike. More guessing and I would say a loose connection somewhere, probably a ground or a harness connection. I would suggest getting a dealer involved early to at least document this problem in the event it turns out to be persistent. Not to rain on your parade, and I really do not expect there is anything seriously wrong, but intermittent electrical faults are the hardest thing to diagnose on a vehicle and occasionally just cannot be found. Hopefully your warning was just a strange glitch and will not occur again but I would at least make some kind of note to a Kawasaki dealer about it.

Brian

Do not know what caused this. Yesterday, I started the bike while I was putting on my helmet. Suddenly it stopped running and the FI warning came on. I tried to start it several times and no luck. I got home last night and figured what the heck, I will try it again. This time it started. Rode to breakfast this morning no problem.

1. What could have caused this?
2. Will the computer store a code that can be retrieved or will the computer forget the code now that the bike is running?

2012 Concours and it had less than 100 miles. Same gas that the dealership put in it when I took delivery. No issues before or after incident.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 04:42:38 PM »
Yay!  Another F1 thread!   ;)   At least it is different from the one most people get (which is the quick flash while running, that causes no problems).

I agree with Brian.  I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again.  If so, take it to the dealer and let them attempt to figure it out.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline wendel

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 07:37:16 PM »
It happened to me today at the Givi Tent. I was able to pull a code this time and it was code 31, the tilt switch(?). I tried calling Ocala, Fl., which is the dealer that sold me the bike. I was just put on hold. A friend went to the Kawasaki Tent and Brian called me. I told him my situation. Brian and Chris came over and took the rear end apart, reconnected the switch, put the bike back together and got me running. I was very impressed with their helpfulness. Otherwise, I would have been looking to have the bike towed. So if you go to the Kawasaki Tent at Daytona, give them a shout.
2012 C14

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 08:04:04 PM »
Excellent Wendel! Glad to hear you found something definitive and were able to address it. And thanks for letting us know.

Brian

It happened to me today at the Givi Tent. I was able to pull a code this time and it was code 31, the tilt switch(?). I tried calling Ocala, Fl., which is the dealer that sold me the bike. I was just put on hold. A friend went to the Kawasaki Tent and Brian called me. I told him my situation. Brian and Chris came over and took the rear end apart, reconnected the switch, put the bike back together and got me running. I was very impressed with their helpfulness. Otherwise, I would have been looking to have the bike towed. So if you go to the Kawasaki Tent at Daytona, give them a shout.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 09:00:39 PM »
It happened to me today at the Givi Tent. I was able to pull a code this time and it was code 31, the tilt switch(?). I tried calling Ocala, Fl., which is the dealer that sold me the bike. I was just put on hold. A friend went to the Kawasaki Tent and Brian called me. I told him my situation. Brian and Chris came over and took the rear end apart, reconnected the switch, put the bike back together and got me running.

Kewl!!

So.... what is a "tilt switch"?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline wendel

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 01:33:10 AM »
It was actually the wiring connector. I believe it is for the switch (I use switch for lack of a better term), that kills the ignition when the bike goes down. The connector is in the tail section of the body next to the brake light. Someone with a manual can probably post the wiring diagram/photo.
2012 C14

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 06:07:33 AM »

That's great Wendel! Kudos to Brian and Chris. Too bad most of our dealers aren't that way.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline pb

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 07:12:05 AM »
Funny I had 2 on the way to work this morning.
Have not had one since last summer.
Thanks for the how to BTW. 

I will try to check before I head out this afternoon and see if it left a code.
I did notice both times I was next to several 18 wheelers.
It could have just been RF interference from a high power cb.
Would not be the 1st time that has happened me using other equipment.

going to be  mostly sunny and 80+ here in bama today. hope to squeeze in a couple hrs... ;D

Offline wendel

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 07:56:23 AM »
pb- I believe the connector was not pushed together all the way and allowed an intermittent connection until it finally came off. On my 2012, when you lift the seat, you will see two allen head bolts on the rear cover just behind the brake light. There are two of them. Just remove these and you will expose that area. On my 2008, you removed the tool kit and ecu to get back there. You no longer have to do that. It is on the left side in the rear.
2012 C14

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 08:33:32 AM »
Kewl!!

So.... what is a "tilt switch"?
It's usually called a "bank angel sensor" it shuts the bike off when it is on it's side.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 03:51:15 PM »
It's usually called a "bank angel sensor" it shuts the bike off when it is on it's side.
FWIW, Kawi calls the peg feelers "bank angle sensors".
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 04:54:13 PM »
Vehicle Down Sensor, gentlemen.  Service code 31.