Author Topic: Facebook.... I don't get it.  (Read 20380 times)

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
Re: Facebook.... I don't get it.
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2014, 05:01:12 AM »
Hmmm.... how true is this?
1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2014, 05:06:02 AM »
Brian, I still haven't found you.  Will you spell out your name as it is on FB?

If he does, do it in private.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2014, 10:17:39 AM »
As it is in my e-mail address. I think I am too private to be 'found' except by friend or friends' of friends or something. My wife and my son twiddled (Easy Boys!) around with my FB settings and I think I am still pretty hidden.

Besides all of that, I have not been on there in over a week or more. I have not responded to any of the requests for 'friending' (is that a verb?) simply because I honestly do not think I will be there much, if at all.  If anything, I might start an InControl page in the future but again, that would just be sort of a pointer to the website, IF, and that is a big IF, Marty ever makes it into anything worth seeing in the first place!

Brian

Brian, I still haven't found you.  Will you spell out your name as it is on FB?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2014, 08:36:55 AM »
FB - My generation (old folks -I'm 50 now) use it.  Our entire graduating class (minus just a few members who refuse to join we email) stays in touch on it and we used it for the 30th reunion.  The sportbike crowd in Tampa, thats where we post rides, meets, classifieds and such. It totally replaced the local sportbike forums. Local classic car clubs and meets use it in Tampa now as well.

Twitter, I signed up for but rarely log on. But I realize and don't dispute social media is the now, twitter being "the other" one.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2014, 03:15:47 PM »
scale and user volume for each, show me the numbers???  So, does anyone use this social media  ;)

Facebook has 1.23 billion active users compared to Twitter’s 232 million – over five times more.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2014, 06:14:46 AM »
I have FB and use it almost daily. Not so much for posting but just to keep track of family and friends. I have Twitter account too but rarely use it.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2014, 01:42:44 PM »
I have FB and use it almost daily. Not so much for posting but just to keep track of family and friends. I have Twitter account too but rarely use it.

+1, likewise  :finger_fing11:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2014, 01:56:48 PM »
Well, someday if I have a friend I may also want to check up on him / her on FB. Until then though, I have not signed on since the second time after I signed up. But I am getting lots of requests from people to be my friend and I do not even know them.  I am starting to think this whole thing may be just a tad shallow.....

:rotflmao:  two times.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2014, 03:03:47 PM »
Well, someday if I have a friend I may also want to check up on him / her on FB. Until then though, I have not signed on since the second time after I signed up. But I am getting lots of requests from people to be my friend and I do not even know them.  I am starting to think this whole thing may be just a tad shallow.....

:rotflmao:  two times.

Brian

I have to admit it's true. FB is only useful for people that:

1) have friends and family
     2) some of them use FB.

Now if we could get Kirby and Mr. Elkhoof to use FB, you would be all set.  ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2014, 03:06:20 PM »
+1

I only accept family, colleagues, real friends, high school/college folks from the past, etc.  I ignore the spam BS like anywhere else on the net. 

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2014, 03:11:20 PM »
Are you serious? I can't get those two to shut up.... even in my dreams lately!

;) ;D

Now with that said, I am actually working on a blog called 'Kirby's Korner' for my web page. I guess that could be either pathetic or humorous and it is up to each one of us to decide which I figure.

Brian

I have to admit it's true. FB is only useful for people that:

1) have friends and family
     2) some of them use FB.

Now if we could get Kirby and Mr. Elkhoof to use FB, you would be all set.  ;D

Son of Pappy

« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2014, 03:15:33 PM »
As of late I have been unfriending several folks because of political BS.  I have it for MC related stuff and a few "real" friends, not virtual friends.  When I get a friend request I simply look at their page, view a sampling of their posts and decide if I want to accept their request.  Heck, I un friended my son, he was one of those who shared every little bit of idiotic stupid, stereotypical things that just tick me off.  FB is what you make of it, it isnt about the number of friends, it is about the content of the friends (virtual) you have, and the contents you provide.  No different than any other forum, with the exception you are the moderator of your created forum.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2014, 03:28:04 PM »
As of late I have been unfriending several folks because of political BS.  I have it for MC related stuff and a few "real" friends, not virtual friends.  When I get a friend request I simply look at their page, view a sampling of their posts and decide if I want to accept their request.  Heck, I un friended my son, he was one of those who shared every little bit of idiotic stupid, stereotypical things that just tick me off.  FB is what you make of it, it isnt about the number of friends, it is about the content of the friends (virtual) you have, and the contents you provide.  No different than any other forum, with the exception you are the moderator of your created forum.

+1 Well said. I don't do politics on FB either. I have un-friended some but most I just hide. Most of the time when I hide it's just because their posts are annoying with zero useful content. Hmmm... probably some out there thinking the exact same thing about his post.

Offline Clark Kent

• Arena
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2014, 05:03:20 PM »
Hmmmm, Since I have xray vision I just look into a persons soul.  If the case women, I start at the "Sole" of their shoes and work my way up from there.

Where do you think the TSA got their Scanner idea from?  :finger_fing11:

Actually, for real, I still use a simple telephone.
A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it.  "SHANE"

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2014, 05:51:08 AM »
Actually, for real, I still use a simple telephone.

What is this telephone you speak of?  Who does that anymore?  My 73 yo mother only uses a cell phone now (after I talked her into it 4 years ago).
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2014, 05:54:07 AM »
Oops, that was of the post title.  I use facebook (almost daily for a few minutes) to keep track of family and friends, but she has no idea what it is or how to use it.  I have my cousin who lives near her show her things (pix and videos) on FB if need be.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2014, 03:37:24 PM »
Best Facebook Definition. Ever.

"Facebook is a repository for mankind’s collective narcissism, self-pity and addiction to voyeurism. It consumes, digests and regurgitates a litany of mundane, trivial, banal and useless information, so we can feed from it and nourish our desire to feel better (and/or worse) about ourselves. "

From https://roadtrippers.com/blog/student-fakes-42-day-trip-to-southeast-asia

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Son of Pappy

« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2014, 08:43:39 PM »
Best Facebook Definition. Ever.

"Facebook is a repository for mankind’s collective narcissism, self-pity and addiction to voyeurism. It consumes, digests and regurgitates a litany of mundane, trivial, banal and useless information, so we can feed from it and nourish our desire to feel better (and/or worse) about ourselves. "

From https://roadtrippers.com/blog/student-fakes-42-day-trip-to-southeast-asia

Jamie
So, I ask this, what is the difference between FB and a forum?  The above definition is an opinion, not fact. 

"Like" and "Share" if you agree  ;)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2014, 04:34:32 AM »
So, I ask this, what is the difference between FB and a forum?  The above definition is an opinion, not fact. 

"Like" and "Share" if you agree  ;)

What is the difference? My wife is on FB she is not on this forum or any other forum I participate in....   
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2014, 05:10:50 AM »
One difference is that anyone and their brother aren't on the forum and don't have access to it.  We are also not violating anyone's privacy that I'm aware of.  However, we tried facial recognition on the pics of the members but it broke the software.  Probably wasn't a good idea in retrospect.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.