Author Topic: Corona virus.... the gift that keeps on giving  (Read 10012 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Corona virus.... the gift that keeps on giving
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2020, 02:19:24 PM »
I hear ya' Jim, been there, done that. A break, along with a change of attitude and outlook can make a tremendous difference.

Best of luck to you too with the current situation, and I hope it works out well for you and if not, at least tolerable and less stressful.

See you when you get back....

Brian

Not to anyone in particular... 

<snip>

Therefore, Rick, while not resigning from the form, I'm talking a vacation of sorts.  Don't know how long but I wish all of you the best and to stay safe as best you can or not.  Your choice after all.  Infect whom you want.

Jim
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2020, 02:28:08 PM »
I did see Dr. Fauci mention the worst case scenario and if memory serves, it would be 100 million Americans infected, 3 million deaths. When building the formula, some guesses have to be put in place and that is what generates both the worst case and best case scenarios. And when delivering that information, Fauci specifically said that neither the worst case or best case would actually happen, the real result will be somewhere in- between, as it always is.

Lately I have also heard that man state exactly what you posted as the roughly 'expected' outcome: between 100K and 240K deaths but I have not seen a total number of infections from the same data that generated these projected death numbers came from.

Brian

<snip>

I think I can safely say that no here thinks the total number of cases will result in an equal number of deaths. I don't believe the current projections (? what? 100,000 - 240,00) are worst case scenarios. Millions are the worst case scenarios if the "hype" isn't listened to assuming some pre-vacination available alternate treatment (drug, transfusion of antibodies etc.) isn't found. Again, the hype is needed because once the hospitals and staff become overwhelmed the numbers will really go up percentage wise.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #122 on: April 03, 2020, 04:53:39 AM »
It is almost impossible to get accurate stats during an epidemic/pandemic.
It will be years before we end up with accurate-ish stats for the poli-scum to fight over.

Like most such things this pandemic will have the greatest effect on the weak and vulnerable first. What we as a society are trying to do with social distancing is to reduce the burden on our healthcare systems to allow them to save as many of the vulnerable as possible. If the heath services get overloaded, then you will see death rates like Italy's or worse pretty quickly. However, once all those who are most vulnerable have recovered or died, then the death rate will plummet.

As for managing it, the best method all along was TESTING. South Korea saw that by observing China, and they have by far the lowest rate so far.
Trump and Boris preferred to believe in some pseudo-scientific gobbledigook and will be spending the next few weeks/months trying to develop the steepest, super-lubricated shoulders so that they can avoid the backlash from that. At least they finally woke up and took action.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Conrad

« Reply #123 on: April 03, 2020, 06:31:41 AM »
Interesting story from CNN.

Read it or not, take from it what you will. Believe it or not. From my observations, personally and from what I'm reading, I believe it.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/politics/coronavirus-fox-news-poll/index.html

Here's what you think of coronavirus if you watch Fox News

Every cable network is covering the coronavirus wall-to-wall. And has been doing so for weeks now.

But while the coverage is constant across cable TV news, the message about coronavirus people are getting from the networks isn't the same. At all.

Take this question, asked in a recent Pew poll, as to whether the coronavirus originated in nature (it did) or whether it was built in a laboratory (it wasn't).

While 66% of MSNBC viewers and 52% of CNN watchers accurately said the coronavirus came from nature, just 37% of Fox News viewers said the same.

Or this question about how long it will take for a coronavirus vaccine to be ready. Just 51% of Fox News viewers said it would take a year or more for the vaccine to be available while 78% of MSNBC watchers said it would more than a year for a vaccine. Almost 6 in 10 CNN viewers said the same.

(Worth noting: A coronavirus vaccine is, according to medical experts, at least, a year to 18 months away.)

The differences between cable network viewers' knowledge of the virus extend to how each network's stalwarts view the coronavirus coverage.

Eight in 10 Fox News viewers say the media exaggerated the threat from coronavirus as compared to 54% of CNN viewers and just 35% of MSNBC watchers.

Why those numbers matter is because we know -- also from Pew data -- that self-identified conservatives Republicans overwhelmingly turn to Fox News as their preferred source of information.

(More than 3 in 4 conservative Republicans and those who lean Republican say that Fox is their main source of information.)

The Point: Fox News watchers, who are overwhelmingly Republicans, are reporting a very different -- and less accurate -- view of coronavirus than those who watch CNN and MSNBC.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #124 on: April 03, 2020, 06:50:16 AM »
Did you really expect a CNN story to say anything other than that they're the best source for information?
I'll bet Fox news thinks THEY'RE best.  I don't watch either one so where does that put me?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #125 on: April 03, 2020, 07:50:03 AM »
Did you really expect a CNN story to say anything other than that they're the best source for information?
I'll bet Fox news thinks THEY'RE best.  I don't watch either one so where does that put me?

Indeed.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #126 on: April 03, 2020, 03:57:39 PM »
Interesting story from CNN.  Read it or not, take from it what you will. Believe it or not. From my observations, personally and from what I'm reading, I believe it.

I find it especially hard to believe anything from CNN or MSNBC.  But I also take everything from MSM (main stream media) with a grain of salt, regardless.  It is almost always politicized (overwhelmingly "left"), soundbite, and sensationalistic.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2020, 06:42:13 PM »
But TPN (Trump Propaganda Network aka: FOX) is on the opposite end of the spectrum (far right) and doesn't tell the real story either. You can't go by what they say...  Where is the non-politicized factual news to be found?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2020, 07:07:53 PM »
But TPN (Trump Propaganda Network aka: FOX) is on the opposite end of the spectrum (far right) and doesn't tell the real story either. You can't go by what they say...  Where is the non-politicized factual news to be found?

In the land of unicorn farts and rainbows.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2020, 07:10:46 PM »
Personally I find Reuters and the BBC news to be more neutral, though I would never go so far as to say 'fair and unbiased'- it is 2020 after all, and 'that train has sailed' I believe.

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2020, 07:22:35 PM »
Quick field report:

Went out tonight around 6:00 PM to Walmart, general shopping, CVS, and finally a local diner for fish & chips and a pizza (for me and the Mrs., and no, we do not mix them before someone asks- I hate tartar sauce on my pizza, and pepperoni on my fish).

Wally World has one entrance, one exit, both manned and in radio communication with each other. The store customer limit is 490 people and they count people coming and going. Things have been moved around in the store, and there are floor stickers around the deli counter as well as checkout denoting the suggested 6 foot spacing. Stock was pretty good, even got a four- pack of T.P., no- name brand but it is soft, 2- ply. Otherwise we got everything we wanted overall, though some trade- off of brands, package size but no big deal. People were surprisingly (amazingly!) civil and well- behaved. Lots of people wearing masks, perhaps 15- 20% of the total people including employees.

CVS was orderly, did NOT require a signature, and had payment setups back away from the counter to prevent a log- jam of people. Overall, not bad at all.

Restaurant was almost empty though kitchen staff was really slinging hash ( busy). Of course they are open for take- out only and this particular place does not deliver.

Liquor store across the street was fairly busy but I did not see any fist- fights nor did I hear any gunshots so I can only assume it was going OK in there. There has been talk of closing the liquor stores, the only source for any alcoholic beverage of any kind in this state but that has not gone further. Seriously, I would keep my powder extra- dry if that should happen 'cause I figure bad behavior will soon follow closing those stores.... :-(

Medium traffic, light for a Friday night and again, civil and organized.

Overall, it is going better than I had hoped and a lot better than I had feared, at least so far.

Brian

Offline Conrad

« Reply #131 on: April 04, 2020, 06:55:54 AM »
Only 8 or 9 states have not issued 'stay at home orders'. All of the governors from these states have one thing in common. Can you guess?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #132 on: April 04, 2020, 07:03:43 AM »
Only 8 or 9 states have not issued 'stay at home orders'. All of the governors from these states have one thing in common. Can you guess?

Lower population densities, fewer cases, higher rates of self-sufficiency and charity, great concern for destroying the economy, respect for personal freedom, and faith that things will work out OK?

Nobody is being forced to not "stay at home" or take other precautions.

There are good reasons we are not the "United Federal State of America", at least, not yet.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #133 on: April 04, 2020, 09:08:28 AM »
Lower population densities, fewer cases, higher rates of self-sufficiency and charity, great concern for destroying the economy, respect for personal freedom, and faith that things will work out OK?

Nobody is being forced to not "stay at home" or take other precautions.

There are good reasons we are not the "United Federal State of America", at least, not yet.

You didn't like how I replied to your post so you deleted it?

Not what I expected from you Max but I'm not surprised, not one bit.

I suppose this post will suffer the same fate.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #134 on: April 04, 2020, 10:16:54 AM »

You sure about that C?  I'm not taking sides here, it's just that I thought max' wasn't a moderator any more and thus doesn't have those powers now.
...or were those reinstated while V'Jim's on sabbatical?  Again not taking sides between you two, I just want any debate between you two to be about
main issues not about the forum itself. (I sure hope I'm right about this.  :-\ )

......anyway in other news, I've found AP news to be fairly unbiased, IMO less biased than BBC. Anybody have an alternate opinion? (I almost typed Anybody have an alternate
opinion that they want to have deleted
?
  :stirpot: )

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #135 on: April 04, 2020, 10:37:17 AM »

Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about.  I don't have the ability to delete anything and I have not seen any reply from you to my 08:55:54am post, except the above accusation.  It is really sad that you would jump to such an accusation, especially against me.

I guess you don't know me very well, which is far more surprising.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #136 on: April 04, 2020, 10:57:48 AM »
What do you imagine was deleted? Although I have noticed your TDS is bleeding out of the Arena into the main forum more and more. Might want to turn the 'news' off for awhile.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: April 04, 2020, 03:52:21 PM »

I deleted your post because it was in violation of open forum rules, no profanities... The Arena is allowed unfiltered discussion, the open forum does not...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2020, 04:23:40 PM »
Just a thought but these are definitely times of high pressure, through no fault of our own. And most mammals react to pressure by increasing emotion levels and responses, so we are certainly not at our best under these conditions. That said, most of us in this conversation, and even this forum, are at least casual acquaintances, along with plenty of friends too. We should probably try to tread a little bit gently here, especially as this forum (and other internet connections in general) have become perhaps a more commonly used as social outlets.

Put more simply, it would be great if visiting this forum remains a pleasant experience in an otherwise lousy time. If it gets unpleasant or confrontational, it is not only going to be yet another source of irritation in already irritating times but may well fracture long established relationships, which would be unfortunate, at least IMO.

We all have our own beliefs and opinions but we do not have to jab each other with them as methods of assault.

Not addressing anyone specifically and not criticizing anyone, just an thought.

Brian

Offline Conrad

« Reply #139 on: April 05, 2020, 05:57:00 AM »
Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about.  I don't have the ability to delete anything and I have not seen any reply from you to my 08:55:54am post, except the above accusation.  It is really sad that you would jump to such an accusation, especially against me.

I guess you don't know me very well, which is far more surprising.

I owe you an apology Max. I'm sorry, please forgive me for accusing you of deleting my post. I am sincerely sorry. I should have known that you wouldn't delete a post without some form of discussion with me about the issue. My emotions got the better of me and I jumped to the wrong conclusion. Not an excuse by any means but I had no idea that you weren't a moderator any longer. Had I known I certainly wouldn't have accused you of the deletion. Again, I'm sorry.