Author Topic: coolant sensor  (Read 4766 times)

Offline Ron Moss

coolant sensor
« on: June 19, 2012, 02:56:23 PM »
Just replaced the oil pressure sensor and now the coolant sensor is bad. Has anyone ever found a crossover to an automotive one ??
The sensor is bad. The gauge checked out as good  and I have done all the tricks and checks to the sensor, it's bad.
Fan sensor is working as it should.

Offline redzgrider

Re: coolant sensor
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 08:07:08 PM »
You say fan switch is good, so you're speaking of the temp. sending unit, located on the thermostat cover?

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 11:25:56 AM »
Just to be sure, did you try tapping the connection point rivet with a small chisel to solidify the connection? Common problem.

Can't help on the replacement number.

Good Luck.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Ron Moss

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 08:12:15 PM »
Just to be sure, did you try tapping the connection point rivet with a small chisel to solidify the connection? Common problem.

Can't help on the replacement number.

Good Luck.
Did that, and all the other tips  I read about.

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 09:39:23 PM »
A bit off subject, but anyone know where to get an aftermarket temp gauge that will thread into the thermostat housing? It is almost a 10mm 1.0 pitch, but not quite. Slightly smaller.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline mdr

• Mark in Austin's C10 Tech Page
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 02:21:22 AM »
Didn't see one on the list, so if you do find one, please let me know so I can add it!

http://www.randols.net/Connie/#CommonParts
Mark in Austin
'01 Concours, Vrooomm
My "Tech Page"
http://www.randols.net/Connie/index.html

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 07:36:29 AM »
A bit off subject, but anyone know where to get an aftermarket temp gauge that will thread into the thermostat housing? It is almost a 10mm 1.0 pitch, but not quite. Slightly smaller.

http://daytonamotorcycleparts.com/shop/Digital-temperature-gauge-wclock-function_46162.html
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline 2fast

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 07:45:33 AM »
Have you installed one of these? It says it does not include the adapter for the sensor, which seems to be the main problem with fitting up an aftermarket sensor.  I may just re tap the hole to fit whatever I get if the correct threads can't be found.
Brian in Minnesota

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline Karl

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 01:11:44 PM »
    Not exactly what you asked for, but a temp instrument that is easy to install.
 I installed a KOSO digital temp gauge.  Use the 26 mm fitting, i installed it just downstream of the original t-stat housing, in the water hose. 
The instrument runs on a button battery.  The backlight in the instrument runs off the bike elect system.  It works ok, i rigged it up when i was experimenting with different t-stat configurations.

Good luck to ye.
"did you check them points?"

Offline 2fast

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 01:41:14 PM »
Karl, thanks a ton! That will suit the purpose just fine, probably easier to install as well. None of my searches turned that up, so I really appreciate it.  :thumbs:

I just placed my order for one on Bike Bandit.
Brian in Minnesota

Offline Summit670

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 04:24:42 PM »
There is an aftermarket temp sending unit available for I believe around $25 and it looks about identical to the OEM, just a tad longer and the temp at which it kicks on is like 5 or 10 degrees cooler. 

Part numbers I obtained last year on this site:
Auto Zone - Wells SW504  $23
Borg Warner TFS500
Echlin (NAPA) FS-130 $50
Four Seasons 35934
Filko TFS-1
Facet FS8404

My notes indicate I went with Auto Zone.

Even though the unit switches on the fan sooner, it really isn't noticeable and I probably wouldn't notice it at all if I didn't know it was supposed to kick on sooner.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 04:45:55 PM »
There is an aftermarket temp sending unit available for I believe around $25 and it looks about identical to the OEM, just a tad longer and the temp at which it kicks on is like 5 or 10 degrees cooler. 
They're talking about the sensor for the temperature gauge, not the fan switch.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Ron Moss

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 07:34:26 AM »
OK, I bought and replaced the coolant sensor. ( the one for the gauge) It works but in riding in city traffic in 100 + temps the gauge never reached  half way up on the gauge. The fan did come on as it should so every thing is working right. I'm thinking the bike is running to cool or the sensor or gauge are off and not reading true. any thoughts. 

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 08:41:55 AM »
 low on coolant? Gauge will read low if coolant is low.
America's Seaplane City
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Ron Moss

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 09:59:12 AM »
low on coolant? Gauge will read low if coolant is low.
Coolant level is OK. Would a stuck thermostat allow the fan to come on when the gauge is just above white square ?
I'm thinking since the fan is operating as it should then the sensor setting is off.
Any way to check to see if the thermostat is stuck with out pulling it?
Not worried about the bike it's doing just fine, just puzzled about the readings. 

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 01:59:57 PM »
Coolant level is OK. Would a stuck thermostat allow the fan to come on when the gauge is just above white square ?
I'm thinking since the fan is operating as it should then the sensor setting is off.
Any way to check to see if the thermostat is stuck with out pulling it?
Not worried about the bike it's doing just fine, just puzzled about the readings.
Rethinkin' this out, I don't see how the stat would be stuck causing over coolong and still the fan kicks on.

Bad wiring connection. Bad gauge? A "will-fit" sensor that has different voltage characteristics? A defective sensor?
America's Seaplane City

Offline Ron Moss

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 03:21:49 PM »
Rethinkin' this out, I don't see how the stat would be stuck causing over coolong and still the fan kicks on.

Bad wiring connection. Bad gauge? A "will-fit" sensor that has different voltage characteristics? A defective sensor?
wiring checks out,gauge checks out, new sensor from momma kaw.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 04:11:59 PM »
OK, I bought and replaced the coolant sensor. ( the one for the gauge) It works but in riding in city traffic in 100 + temps the gauge never reached  half way up on the gauge. The fan did come on as it should so every thing is working right. I'm thinking the bike is running to cool or the sensor or gauge are off and not reading true. any thoughts.

Fan has its own temp switch on the left side of the rad and has NOTHING at all to do with any other system; this is why the fan can cycle on/off once you remove the key switch. The Water Temp Sensor sends a variable resistance to ground reading to the Water Temp Gauge depending on temp this is why we stress checking the system out for loose connections as they will cause inaccurate readings on the gauge; IE loose connections equal low readings...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 05:56:25 PM »
wiring checks out,gauge checks out, new sensor from momma kaw.
Define "wiring checks out."

Different people have different ideas on the meaning of "wiring checks out" Some folks take a cursory look at the wire, see it's hooked up, and figure it "checks out." A look in this case is not good enough. Real measurements are needed.

Did you check the wire with an ohmmeter from the gauge to the sending unit? (key off)

Also, voltage at gauge, voltage at sending unit(key on). These measurements involve the yellow/white stripe wire that runs from the gauge to the sending unit on the stat housing.

Also, a voltage check on the brown wire going into the gauge, at the gauge, would be helpful.

America's Seaplane City