Author Topic: HELP: How to remove connector???  (Read 4589 times)

Offline RedRambler

HELP: How to remove connector???
« on: December 14, 2015, 10:25:53 AM »
Can anyone tell me how to release and remove the white connector shown in the photo attached?  I think this in on the air switching valve, but I'm not absolutely certain.

I'm starting my first valve clearance check.  Man, what a PITA...

Everything seems harder than it should be.

RR

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: HELP: How to remove connector???
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 10:50:32 AM »
The release is on the end of the connector. They suck.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 11:28:49 AM »
I spend 30 minutes removing my ECU....29 minutes was figuring out how to release the connectors.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 11:33:15 AM »
There is a tab on that connector facing away. You will have to reach around (Boys!) and move that tab- which way I cannot say as it does vary between connector type. Once the locking tab is released, you will still have to put reasonable pressure to remove the connector as there is a waterproof seal between the two halves.

Just a suggestion but do your very best to pull on the connector and NOT the wires; the factory terminal crimps are not all that strong and it is surprisingly easy to pull a wire (or more than one) out of the terminal. And then you will be in the position of having to find out exactly what connector it is (manufacturer, connector family and specific type), purchase terminals, seals and a crimping tool(s) and put new terminals onto the existing wires. Better to not pull them out in the first place.

Brian

Can anyone tell me how to release and remove the white connector shown in the photo attached?  I think this in on the air switching valve, but I'm not absolutely certain.

I'm starting my first valve clearance check.  Man, what a PITA...

Everything seems harder than it should be.

RR
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 11:46:05 AM »
Was just thinking about this removing the left upper panel on my 2010 this weekend. All 3 connectors have different locking mechanisms. Was wondering why they couldn't standardize have have every connector lock and release the same way.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 12:24:59 PM »
Was just thinking about this removing the left upper panel on my 2010 this weekend. All 3 connectors have different locking mechanisms. Was wondering why they couldn't standardize have have every connector lock and release the same way.
Fairly certain that it's so you will not reconnect the wrong connectors together...don't want to turn on the grip warmers and have the glove box lock shut. They could have put a nice six wire connector there I guess and taken care of that problem.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 12:34:51 PM »
The connectors on this bike (and most Japanese vehicles in general) are from various manufacturers. Beyond that, each manufacturer has various lines of connectors that they sell, and the next variable is the pin count. Not all connectors are locking, and not all connectors are waterproof either although again, the Japanese vehicle industry tends to use both although they do use a fair amount of bullet connectors which are neither locking nor weather- tight.

So if you wanted a connector to handle 3 circuits, none to exceed 4 amps, the terminals and connectors to accept 18 ga. wire (with a given thickness sheating over the wire), then Brand Y, family F, connector 1-2-3 in four- pin might be the best choice. The next place you want to use a connector will have different requirements that a different connector, very possibly from a different manufacturer, may serve better.

And even when you choose a connector, there is often the choice of, say, a 4 X 2 matrix to make an eight pin connector, or 8 in- line. And none of the terminals (the metal tabs inside the connector bodies) are the same either but are unique to each family of connector (not even the same across a manufacturer's line of connectors). Why the whole thing is a mess I tells' ya'. Sorta' like lumber; all different kinds, sizes, treatments, colors, wood species and so forth. It is up to the user to pick and choose the best specific type for a given task. But watch out 'cause often times it is engineers who spec. them and as we all know, that is a low- down, stupid, graceless and evil group of people.

The great thing about connector standards is that there are so very many of them :-) 

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 12:37:41 PM »
Fairly certain that it's so you will not reconnect the wrong connectors together...don't want to turn on the grip warmers and have the glove box lock shut. They could have put a nice six wire connector there I guess and taken care of that problem.

I think that as well but also think they could have all different connection patterns with asymmetrical slots and such but a single style locking tab. I think the real reason is that it just isn't that big a deal and it would cost some to have every engineer find a suitable connection for what ever, (number of connections, current capacity, etc) with a common locking tab though out the design. Not a big deal but sure would be nice.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 12:39:16 PM »
The great thing about connector standards is that there are so very many of them :-) 

True dat!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 12:53:24 PM »
Yeah, another strange thing happens along the way; the entire bike's wiring system is not designed at one time, by one person or group. It is not even designed in the same year. What ends up happening is that back in, say, 1998, someone decided to use a specific connector for the tail lights on a particular motorcycle, say a Kawasaki 600 cc sport bike. Years later, some group is designing a C-14 and they decide to simply use the identical brake / tail light ass'y on the new bike. As long as the connector is still made, they just make the brand new C-14 harness with an older brake / tail light connector and use the identical part number light ass'y. Now this happens all over the vehicle with various devices, and the harness specific to a C-14 ends up with lots of different connectors because they have to fit the [going to use it again] part that may be 10, 20 years old.

Brian

I think that as well but also think they could have all different connection patterns with asymmetrical slots and such but a single style locking tab. I think the real reason is that it just isn't that big a deal and it would cost some to have every engineer find a suitable connection for what ever, (number of connections, current capacity, etc) with a common locking tab though out the design. Not a big deal but sure would be nice.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 03:27:45 PM »
If they made it easy they wouldn't need those highly trained factory techs at the dealership.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 03:42:39 PM »
If it was easy, I could buy one connector and make two different farkles.... but no.

Brian

If they made it easy they wouldn't need those highly trained factory techs at the dealership.

Offline RedRambler

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 05:51:18 PM »
Well, the answer seems to be that you unbolt the air suction valve covers and pull the whole thing out the right side.  The wire is long enough to reach.  Once out from under the frame, it's a piece of cake.  There's just not enough room under there to get your hand on the connector to unlock it.

RR

Offline jtk1531

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 07:26:50 AM »
+1

3 rubber tubes, 2 connected to the valve cover, one connected to the airbox on top. pull the air box tube out.
after you unbolt one air suction valve cover, just pull on the whole air suction assembly, the other end of the rubber tube will just slide off the valve cover's tube. or use your fingers to push the rubber tube off the other valve cover. once it's out, its easy to disconnect the white connector.

Well, the answer seems to be that you unbolt the air suction valve covers and pull the whole thing out the right side.  The wire is long enough to reach.  Once out from under the frame, it's a piece of cake.  There's just not enough room under there to get your hand on the connector to unlock it.

RR

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 08:54:57 AM »
+1

3 rubber tubes, 2 connected to the valve cover, one connected to the airbox on top. pull the air box tube out.
after you unbolt one air suction valve cover, just pull on the whole air suction assembly, the other end of the rubber tube will just slide off the valve cover's tube. or use your fingers to push the rubber tube off the other valve cover. once it's out, its easy to disconnect the white connector.
Nice work, guys!
The grass isn't always greener.