Author Topic: LOUD 3rd gear!?!?!?!?  (Read 15892 times)

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
LOUD 3rd gear!?!?!?!?
« on: November 06, 2015, 11:27:12 PM »
I think I blew up my trans... Or at least 3rd gear. 2012 C14 with 36,000 miles. Heard a weird noise while riding home today. Only in 3rd gear. Got home and put it up on the center stand. 1st and 2nd are fine. As soon as I put it in 3rd there are some noises that a bike just shouldn't make. I know a video would help. Tomorrow I will make one and post it. I have plenty of time. My dealer which I normally like screwed me today. Called them to get the bike in and looked at and they can't even think of taking it in until the week after next! The service guy was like I'm short handed and I have 8 motors in various stages of teardown and rebuild. Considering what I told him he will have to remove my engine and crack it open. He also said he never had any issues prior to me with any C14 or ZX14 trans failing... So here I sit with a crunchy 3rd gear and a HOT november! I'll get a video posted tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

Offline Conniesaki

Re: LOUD 3rd gear!?!?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 08:53:06 AM »
If it's your daily driver, maybe just shift 2nd to 4th until you can get it fixed?

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 09:26:00 AM »
If it's your daily driver, maybe just shift 2nd to 4th until you can get it fixed?

Yeah I have a car but the C14 is my preferred daily commuter. I was thinking that too. I do it a lot anyway. Rev a little higher than normal in 1st and 2nd and 3rd is completely unnecessary. lol

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 09:43:44 AM »
Sorry Kevin/Connisaki, I have to disagree.
I think continuing to ride is a Bad idea.

If something (like a gear tooth) is in there, It could move and break other gears etc.
Which would make things a lot worse...
If a bearing is going away, metal is in the oil and some of that metal can adhere to your other bearings...
Which would also make things a lot worse...

NOTE: 2 have recently had tranny problems on a C-14 (Fias and Marty).
They posted on the other Forum. Go there to do some research.
I suggest that you contact them.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 05:45:45 PM »
Sorry Kevin/Connisaki, I have to disagree.
I think continuing to ride is a Bad idea.

If something (like a gear tooth) is in there, It could move and break other gears etc.
Which would make things a lot worse...
If a bearing is going away, metal is in the oil and some of that metal can adhere to your other bearings...
Which would also make things a lot worse...

They posted on the other Forum. Go there to do some research.
I suggest that you contact them.

Ride safe, Ted

Yeah I agree Ted. It was hopeful thinking. Ha!!! I ride everyday unless it's snowing. It's going to be a rough couple of weeks! I made a short vid of the noise. It just sucks that the dealer I bought 2 bikes from can't get me in there before the following week!

https://youtu.be/a9lLAA7FXds

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 05:22:07 AM »

:yikes:   I would not feel comfortable driving it with that sound.   Is it still under warranty?

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 06:53:42 AM »
Arghh,,,,,
Same bearings are used in all gears.
Since the noise is just in 3rd,,,  I suspect a broken tooth on your #3 gear.
See if you can hook up with Marty or Fias. They can show you photo's of their broken gear.
And, (if your bike isn't in warranty) what it cost for the repair.

PS: I (still) really like the green stripe you added...

Ride safe, Ted

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 04:32:55 PM »

Joel (aka JS_racer) and I both have had problems, mine was a broken tooth on forth gear, and Joel has purchased a used motor to swap out for his noisy one. I don't think they have dug into his old motor yet to determine exactly what the noise is. Mine was covered under extended warranty so I can't help with info on costs.
I didn't know Fias [Fais?] had a problem as well. (link Ted?) edit: nevermind, I found it. Sounds like two more, Fais and Marv. http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=61417.0

7 pages so far: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=19841.msg245481#msg245481

I'm personally getting a little tired of people referring to this bike as bulletproof. Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot, but bulletproof it isn't.

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »
Joel (aka JS_racer) and I both have had problems, mine was a broken tooth on forth gear, and Joel has purchased a used motor to swap out for his noisy one. I don't think they have dug into his old motor yet to determine exactly what the noise is. Mine was covered under extended warranty so I can't help with info on costs.
I didn't know Fias [Fais?] had a problem as well. (link Ted?) edit: nevermind, I found it. Sounds like two more, Fais and Marv. http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=61417.0

7 pages so far: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=19841.msg245481#msg245481

I'm personally getting a little tired of people referring to this bike as bulletproof. Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot, but bulletproof it isn't.

Still under warranty. I purchased it with the extended 3 year warranty new 2012 left over in July of 2013. So yes I have 3+ yrs left on it. Still a bit tweaked that I can't even get it into my dealer until next week. Not a happy camper. I mean I've heard about people getting the run around when they bring their bike to a dealer they didn't buy it from. I bought 2 bikes from this guy and I can't get it in. Oh well. I'll keep everyone posted as to what happens. In the mean time I may have to steal... Err Borrow my son's Versys 650 for a day here and there. HA!!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 12:53:42 PM »
True enough Marty, but what is bullet proof? I think it is only reasonable to compare things like vehicle robustness, reliability, etc. with other, comparable vehicles. And as far as I know, the C-14 still ranks right up there with not having major mechanical problems (that stop the bike for example) and not leaving people stranded. *

Frankly, I do not know of any other, comparable, motorcycle that out- shines a C-14 in that regard. ?? I used to think a Goldwing would out- distance them, on average, but have recently found out (from two dealers) that they are not quite bullet proof either.

And I have to say that in those few cases that I have heard of, such as yours and now this one, of what I would call catastrophic mechanical failure, they were still ride-able, which is kind of amazing in and of itself IMO.

* minor quirks that are easily worked- around excepted.... such as the infamous stuck KiPass activation switch or a dead fob battery: those things and similar should not leave any prepared C-14 rider stranded although it may, and has, snuck up on some that are not quite familiar with the system.

Brian

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 12:58:24 PM »
I have no idea what your dealer's situation is but to be honest, I think a one- week delay on bringing in a motorcycle which is pretty obviously going to need a very significant amount of time to repair is pretty good. A lot of dealers might take the bike in right away but it could still be a while before it actually gets significant time for that very large that I believe your bike is going to require.

Not bashing or defending anyone here, and as I said, I do not know your dealer, just pointing out that most businesses only have enough space / personnel to do the work needed and not much, if any, additional abilities to suddenly take on large jobs. Fire depts. excepted but then again, we pay them to hang around until the bell rings.... :-) 

Brian

Still under warranty. I purchased it with the extended 3 year warranty new 2012 left over in July of 2013. So yes I have 3+ yrs left on it. Still a bit tweaked that I can't even get it into my dealer until next week. Not a happy camper. I mean I've heard about people getting the run around when they bring their bike to a dealer they didn't buy it from. I bought 2 bikes from this guy and I can't get it in. Oh well. I'll keep everyone posted as to what happens. In the mean time I may have to steal... Err Borrow my son's Versys 650 for a day here and there. HA!!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 01:56:43 PM »
True enough Marty, but what is bullet proof? I think it is only reasonable to compare things like vehicle robustness, reliability, etc. with other, comparable vehicles. And as far as I know, the C-14 still ranks right up there with not having major mechanical problems (that stop the bike for example) and not leaving people stranded.

I agree, with a "better than average reliability". However there are a lot of folks using the word "bulletproof". Perhaps I have a higher expectation of what bulletproof means. There are more trans problems showing up and not everybody is on these two forums to talk about theirs, so how many are really out there that have had problems? I know of 5 now. I haven't heard of any engine problems (other than the turbo installed ones) so I guess I can accept referring to the engine as bulletproof for now, but not the transmission.

I have no idea what your dealer's situation is but to be honest, I think a one- week delay on bringing in a motorcycle which is pretty obviously going to need a very significant amount of time to repair is pretty good. A lot of dealers might take the bike in right away but it could still be a while before it actually gets significant time for that very large that I believe your bike is going to require.

I fully agree with this, when I started hearing the noise in mine I took it straight to the closest dealer and found another way home, it was a week before I heard from them. It is an unreasonable expectation (IMO) to expect them to drop everything to jump into a big job that will most likely be warranty work. I chose the carrot method instead of the stick method and it seems to have worked for me. It was 2+ months in all but it was worth it in the end (again IMO). Just reading the service manual and what was involved with the whole process helped make me very patient.
Since the repair, I've been on two trips so far and not a missed shift, not a strange noise or vibration, and nary a drop of oil on the garage floor. Not something I expected after seeing my engine tipped over on the work bench with the coolant hose hanging down toward the floor with that one drop of green hanging on the end.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 02:32:26 PM »
Just our different points of view. All mechanical, moving things fail, it is just a matter of how often based on numbers of machines and how much they are used- in this case, it would be failures per [C-14 miles ridden]. And I do know of one outright engine failure that happened to a gentleman way back in '09 I believe; he was riding the bike hard, it made a 'loud noise' and while it continued to run, it was clearly quite ill, down on power and producing a lot of smoke. He traded it (an '08) in for a new '09 and the dealer adjusted the trade price to reflect a warranty coverage repair on the engine (in other words, the dealer gave him the fair value of his bike in excellent condition and repaired it on Kawasaki's dime, and on his time rather than the rider).

But I will say, given the photos of your gear failure, and the recent several that have happened, I would expect Kawasaki to re- visit both the gear design as well as, and especially, the metallurgy of those gears. That is great news for the future purchasers but it does not do us much good. Still, I think the odds of getting hit by lightening are higher than having a C-14 transmission failure. Maybe we can agree on the words 'near- bulletproof'?  ;D

Brian

I agree, with a "better than average reliability". However there are a lot of folks using the word "bulletproof". Perhaps I have a higher expectation of what bulletproof means. There are more trans problems showing up and not everybody is on these two forums to talk about theirs, so how many are really out there that have had problems? I know of 5 now. I haven't heard of any engine problems (other than the turbo installed ones) so I guess I can accept referring to the engine as bulletproof for now, but not the transmission.

<snip>

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 04:22:49 PM »
I'm personally getting a little tired of people referring to this bike as bulletproof. Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot, but bulletproof it isn't

I know I would never say "bulletproof", I like to say "very reliable and well-built."  I doubt anything is perfect.  But the number of reports on the forum about major problems with the engine or transmission are very rare.  Especially pertinent when compared to what I hear about other bikes.  And even more pertinent when many of those other bikes cost a lot more and/or have a much shorter warranty.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 05:13:56 PM »
Bullet-resistant?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015, 05:27:29 PM »
Maybe we can agree on the words 'near- bulletproof'?  ;D
I believe we can*;D    (*until more failure reports come in)

I like to say "very reliable and well-built." 
I can agree with that as well.  :thumbs:

Bullet-resistant?
Yeah, or that too.  :D

But the number of reports on the forum about major problems with the engine or transmission are very rare.  Especially pertinent when compared to what I hear about other bikes.  And even more pertinent when many of those other bikes cost a lot more and/or have a much shorter warranty.
I don't think we need to start bashing BMW here. Hmmmm....I wonder why I assumed that's what you meant by other bikes.  ;D ;D

Before I realized how little I would get for my C14 on a trade in, and how much warranty was left on it, I was thinking of getting rid of it. Starting all over on the research I still came back to the '15 C14 and the '14 FJR. Neither appear to be bullet proof so even more reason to stay with what I've got. Yes it is a lot of bike for the money and it's very reliable for most. Not so reliable that an extended warranty purchase is recklessly throwing money away.

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2015, 05:55:37 PM »
I've had prior experience with this dealer. Last year I needed an oil leak fixed (under warrantry) and while they had the fairing all off I had them do the valve adjustment. They had me drop it off in a couple of days and it only took a day. Granted this is a much bigger job compared to that.

I ride this thing every single day. Down to 20f in the winter I commute with this. I'm going through detox!!! LOL!!!!

:nuts:

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 10:59:09 AM »
I think I blew up my trans... Or at least 3rd gear. 2012 C14 with 36,000 miles. Heard a weird noise while riding home today. Only in 3rd gear. Got home and put it up on the center stand. 1st and 2nd are fine. As soon as I put it in 3rd there are some noises that a bike just shouldn't make. I know a video would help. Tomorrow I will make one and post it. I have plenty of time. My dealer which I normally like screwed me today. Called them to get the bike in and looked at and they can't even think of taking it in until the week after next! The service guy was like I'm short handed and I have 8 motors in various stages of teardown and rebuild. Considering what I told him he will have to remove my engine and crack it open. He also said he never had any issues prior to me with any C14 or ZX14 trans failing... So here I sit with a crunchy 3rd gear and a HOT november! I'll get a video posted tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

What engine oil are you using?

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 11:59:47 AM »
What engine oil are you using?

:stirpot: :stirpot:  You're just in a mischievous mood today, aren't you big guy.  ;D

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 12:18:15 PM »
:stirpot: :stirpot:  You're just in a mischievous mood today, aren't you big guy.  ;D

8)

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4