Author Topic: LOUD 3rd gear!?!?!?!?  (Read 15890 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: LOUD 3rd gear!?!?!?!?
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2015, 03:38:03 PM »
Oil thread!!!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2015, 04:28:56 PM »

What engine oil are you using?

Mobil 1 98JA11 10W-40 Racing 4T Motorcycle Oil for Sport Bikes

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2015, 04:39:28 PM »
Mobil 1 98JA11 10W-40 Racing 4T Motorcycle Oil for Sport Bikes

See...right there's your problem. You should have been using the Sport Touring formula.  :)

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2015, 11:32:04 PM »
See...right there's your problem. You should have been using the Sport Touring formula.  :)

I agree w/ Mr.Pink- Once I almost bought oil for my 2009 Kawasaki Concours ABS that was marked for non-ABS Kawasaki Concours (pronounced KonKoor, class..) What a mistake that would have been!

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2015, 05:42:27 AM »
I'm just trying to get through the shakes and cold chills!!! It's been... 5 days without my C14!

:yikes:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2015, 05:53:38 AM »

elp_jc

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2015, 05:48:02 PM »
I know I would never say "bulletproof"
Why not? You should have just specified which CALIBER ;D. I'd say the Connie is about 45-cal bulletproof. Or maybe even 357 magnum. But definitely not 44 magnum, or 50 Desert Eagle. And yes, we're only talking handgun calibers. Let's see how the others rate the Connie compared to other such 'bulletproof' bikes, like the ST1100, FJR1300, BMW R bikes, etc.

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2015, 08:55:36 AM »
Quick update on this. Finally heard from my dealer yesterday. I'm dropping the bike off Monday evening finally! 2 weeks waiting to get it in... I'll let everyone know what the outcome is.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2015, 10:21:07 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2015, 06:47:14 AM »
Quick update on this. Finally heard from my dealer yesterday. I'm dropping the bike off Monday evening finally! 2 weeks waiting to get it in... I'll let everyone know what the outcome is.

Best of luck mate!  :)

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2015, 01:32:56 PM »
Ok there you have it. Broke a tooth off of third gear. Order for parts went in today. Hopefully they will be in early next week and I'm back in the saddle by end of next week. My magnetic oil plug did grab the broken tooth to prevent damage to other things if it was left to bounce around. I just changed the oil about a week before all this happened. Nothing was on the plug when I changed it.

While the bike is in the shop I'm having them change the plugs and check the valves. Saves me the cost of labor to open everything up.

sailor_chic

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2015, 03:46:47 PM »
Ask for a shim map when they check the valves.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2015, 06:13:53 AM »
Yeah, who needs third anyway.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Richard. Wales UK

• 2010 1400 GTR trike.
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2015, 12:38:55 PM »
Hi

Rough luck.

I assume they are also changing the driven gear?  it must have had a rough time when that broke.... and if the gears had a rough time so did the bearings on both shafts.

Richard

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2015, 05:53:15 PM »
Hi

Rough luck.

I assume they are also changing the driven gear?  it must have had a rough time when that broke.... and if the gears had a rough time so did the bearings on both shafts.

Richard

I think you are thinking what a lot of us are thinking- this bike had a rough life.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2015, 01:13:18 PM »
I think you are thinking what a lot of us are thinking- this bike had a rough life.
I certainly hope you're wrong, especially the past tense part. Mine has more miles on it than Kevin's does and it seems as good as new after they replaced my 3-4 gear (mine broke the tooth on 4th). My replacement gears had a different part number than the original so I'm hoping  that is because they are made better (humming beautiful dreamer goes here ).

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2015, 02:55:19 PM »
so this '10 is exhibiting what iirc the fourth catastrophic gear tooth failure in the last 6-7 months.... I see a progression coming here, and hating to be the harbinger of death, I'm thinking wholeheartedly there is, and has been noted by kaw, a severe  and repeatedly documented metalurgy/production issue on these gears... specific to '10 thru '12 production....

if we, as a small cross seftion of owners are documenting this, as many times as we have seen this year, multiply this by x100 and you will see a serious issue... I say this knowing how many COG people are here, vs how many bikes were sold... I venture to say we are as a group, such a small percentage of on road bikes, and those not familiar with us are having issues, we are only seeing about a 5% exaggerated to the high end, total so far, and most scary are the bikes that only see a fouple thousand, if that, miles per year....

not a good omen....

I highly suggest buying those extended KPP warranty plans folks.... I sure as hell wouldn't want to dish out bucks for parts, and tear this engine down...

but so far no '08 has shown up with this problem.... fingers crossed and praying....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2015, 03:28:57 PM »
so this '10 is exhibiting what iirc the fourth catastrophic gear tooth failure

I agree that it is a bit concerning.

I highly suggest buying those extended KPP warranty plans folks....

That is a good idea, regardless.  It is so cheap, it is crazy not to.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2015, 05:29:51 PM »
At 2.5 yrs old my 2012 still has 3.5 yrs of warranty left. My dealer threw the extended in when I bought it. Also averaging 15,000 miles a year. I don't see me keeping this past the life of the warranty. I will trade this in before that. In the mean time crossing my fingers I don't blow another gear!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2015, 07:46:45 PM »
At 2.5 yrs old my 2012 still has 3.5 yrs of warranty left. My dealer threw the extended in when I bought it. Also averaging 15,000 miles a year. I don't see me keeping this past the life of the warranty. I will trade this in before that. In the mean time crossing my fingers I don't blow another gear!

Having a warranty will make it even more valuable when you go to sell it.