Author Topic: LOUD 3rd gear!?!?!?!?  (Read 15887 times)

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
Re: LOUD 3rd gear!?!?!?!?
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2015, 02:12:43 PM »
Spoke with the dealer today. Should have the bike back by end of day tomorrow. He said there was no other damage in the transmission. I took a look with my untrained eye at the gears while I was there and I didn't see anything wrong. He also gave me the broken tooth as a souvenir. I'll put it under my pillow for the Kawi fairy! HA!

I'm still a bit disappointed in the response of the dealer and ultimately being without my bike for a month now. Two weeks to just get it into the shop and two weeks to get it fixed. Yes the holiday was thrown in there but still. Not exactly thrilled with not having a bike for that long. Stealing my Son's Versys 650 here and there was just a tease!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2015, 03:48:42 PM »
I'm still a bit disappointed in the response of the dealer and ultimately being without my bike for a month now. Two weeks to just get it into the shop and two weeks to get it fixed. Yes the holiday was thrown in there but still. Not exactly thrilled with not having a bike for that long. Stealing my Son's Versys 650 here and there was just a tease!

Major failures like you describe are rare.  But what is not rare are stories about the dealer taking a month or more to fix it :(   Warranty work seems to drop to the bottom of their list and then there is the overhead of getting approvals, then waiting on parts, etc.  Add to that the typical inexperience of their repair staff when it comes to the C14 (because it is a higher-end bike that they don't see often AND because it doesn't fail often) and that just compounds the problems.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Freddy

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2015, 07:33:33 PM »
A month or so is good.  If you want to know what 'bad' is have a read of some threads on spyderlovers.com
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

elp_jc

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2015, 10:24:25 PM »
He also gave me the broken tooth as a souvenir.
Any idea how that happened? A false neutral then a 'bang' when getting the tranny back in gear without stopping? A botched shift? If you didn't buy the bike since new, guess we'll never know. But glad you were taken care of, even if it took longer than it should. Good luck.

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2015, 06:46:23 PM »
Any idea how that happened? A false neutral then a 'bang' when getting the tranny back in gear without stopping? A botched shift? If you didn't buy the bike since new, guess we'll never know. But glad you were taken care of, even if it took longer than it should. Good luck.

No idea. I bought the bike as a 2012 left over in July of 2013. So yeah all me on the bike. I've had shifts where I missed a gear but never grinded any. Never heard that gut wrenching screech! LOL. I'm thinking it may have been an aggressive downshift but I still don't remember any specific event that did it. I noticed it when I was riding through town in 3rd gear. I have a cardo scala rider and always have music playing. This could have happened an hour, day, week before I noticed it. Who knows.

Still don't have the bike back. One part they are waiting on didn't show up Thursday. Hoping it will show Monday and I'll get it back Tuesday. I stole my son's 2014 Versys 650 today for a quick ride but it's just not the same! LOL!

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2015, 05:44:17 AM »
After a day short of 5 weeks I finally have my bike back! It was 5 weeks ago today that I noticed the noise and stopped riding. Three weeks ago Monday I dropped it at the dealer. I'm now more convinced than ever that Kawasaki dips their bikes in CRACK before they ship them out! This was the worst 5 weeks of my life. My dealer, once we got the bike in the shop did the best he could to get me out quickly. With Thanksgiving thrown in there and a part that was shipped from the west coast that ended up in Illinois instead of NY. He got me out relatively quickly.  Now I have a month of riding to make up!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2015, 05:55:42 AM »
Glad you're back on the road.

Gotta watch out for ILL-inois. It's a bit of a black hole.