Author Topic: Try a windshield for free....  (Read 242440 times)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
Re: Try a windshield for free....
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2012, 11:00:23 AM »
I forgot when I started this. must have been back in 2008. I wonder how many miles these shields have traveled in a box????

Thanks, Don!! They've probably traveled more miles inside the box than on bikes. They're showing a little sign of wear, but nothing major. I wonder how many different bikes they've been on.

So, Don, what did you end up with on your bike if you had these to pass around??

Thanks Wally. I just bought a large cal-sci (6-1' 34" inseam). I'll put it on tomorrow. I'm sure I'll like it better than the stock.

Are these the only two in this test kit? I thought there was a see bailes in there as well.

That's the only two that were in the box. Would have been great if there were a couple of other options too, or another pair of them in circulation, but I'm very grateful for the opportunity to try these out. They were also packaged very well. I think I read somewhere that they were re-packaged several riders back.

Keep us posted on what you think about the Cal Sci large.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline DonB

• Let's Ride
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2012, 12:46:22 PM »
So, Don, what did you end up with on your bike if you had these to pass around??

back in 2008 when I bought that C14 I had 5 shields before I found the one I liked. and that was the CalSi that is being passed around. it was getting a few rock chips and I was ordering a new one to replace it

on this C14 I decided on a dark Cee Bailey

2012 Candy Arabian Red C14 but it's not Red to me
2012 Blue ABS Wing
2011 White Vstrom                               = o&o>

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2012, 01:50:38 PM »
back in 2008 when I bought that C14 I had 5 shields before I found the one I liked. and that was the CalSi that is being passed around. it was getting a few rock chips and I was ordering a new one to replace it

on this C14 I decided on a dark Cee Bailey

How's the Cee Bailey compare to the Cal Sci? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a replacement shield and appreciate all the input I can get. I like the idea of dark tint, but don't want a big sail windshield. I think those big shields ruin the sporty look of the Concours.
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline DonB

• Let's Ride
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2012, 08:00:03 AM »
How's the Cee Bailey compare to the Cal Sci? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a replacement shield and appreciate all the input I can get. I like the idea of dark tint, but don't want a big sail windshield. I think those big shields ruin the sporty look of the Concours.

I think if I were you I would go with the CalSci, the Cee Bailey is a little larger and does not seem to be any better for me 6' than the CalSci did
2012 Candy Arabian Red C14 but it's not Red to me
2012 Blue ABS Wing
2011 White Vstrom                               = o&o>

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2012, 10:56:20 AM »
Where are they now? I'd like to put my name on the list to try them out. My stock '09 shield isn't very effective in the cold. It would be nice to check fitment with my homemade hand wings too.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2012, 11:28:11 AM »
Where are they now? I'd like to put my name on the list to try them out. My stock '09 shield isn't very effective in the cold. It would be nice to check fitment with my homemade hand wings too.

Matt

I've got them. The list sorta died out, so I've just been holding onto them. I figured that the cold might have slowed down the testing and it would fire back up in the spring, but if you're ready to ride, PM me with your info and I'll get them out to you.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2012, 11:43:28 AM »
Well, with the holidays and the weather, today was my first chance to test one out. I put the Cal Sci on over the holidays and that's when I found out that I was missing one of the screws that holds the windshield on. Local dealerships were both closed between the holidays so have a temp Home Depot bolt in it's place for now.

Anyway, I rode about 250 miles today. Temperature ranged between 28 and 42 degrees on the way to work this morning (85 interstate miles), but was a beautiful 70-72 this afternoon. The Cal Sci is a great improvement over the stock (2011). I do notice a good bit of back pressure when the windshield is between full up and about 2-3 inches down. It's very noticable at first, but the feeling seems to fade some as you ride. Below 70 mph, it's very comfortable. I notice a little buffeting when the windshield is down at highway-plus speeds, but far better than the stocker. With handwings, this would have been a great windshield for 30 degree riding, although my hands didn't freeze this morning with the heated grips running at about half power.

I'm just a hair shy of 6 feet tall with a 34 inch inseam. I also have a Corbin seat, which I believe is shorter than stock by nearly an inch. At full up, the top of the shield (this is a medium) is just about perfectly in line with my eyes. I can look over it even in full up position, or can look through it with very little change in position. It was very stable, even when following a semi and I really do like that.

I'd be intersted in buying a medium Cal Sci, but I'm wondering what I'd use in the summer when I could use a little more air in the Texas heat. Back to the stocker? Maybe a tinted shortie Cal Sci? I don't think I'd like a large Cal Sci as it would be too high when down and much too high at full up. I like a sportier look, so don't want some huge plastic sail in front of me like I had on my old Goldwing.

Personnally, I don't care for the look of the V-Stream. That funky double bubble shape and the way it's wide at the top and narrow in the middle just isn't very attractive, IMHO. If I can, I'm going to go ahead and put it on and give it a ride, but I'm afraid that the look is a deal breaker for me. Once I give it a quick test, just for comparison purposes, I'll put the stocker back on and be ready to move these two along to someone else. Cold front coming through tonight, so not sure how quickly it will be, but I'll be ready to move these along pretty soon.

I put the V-Stream on and really don't care for it. I find that I get buffetting with it all the way down as the edge of the airflow hits me right in the visor. It isn't bad when it's all the way up, but then it seems that the flow comes right into my hands and sides. Just didn't work for me. And, that thing really waves around when you're behind anything bigger than a Prius on the highway. You think it's going to fly off behind a big pickup or a semi.

The Cal Sci (medium) is a better window IMHO and I'll probably be buying one this spring. I thought about getting a tinted shortie for the summer and a medium for the cooler months, but not sure I want to drop the dime on two. Got too many other farkles that I want. If you're looking for something for winter riding, this might be the bottom limit and should research the large one.

Thanks, DonB for letting us try these out. Much appreciated.

Oh, and to basmntdweller, either of these will be a huge change from your '90 stocker!!

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2012, 11:48:35 AM »
Pm sent. I have a pile of farkles to install and I am thinking taking off work Monday and Tuesday if needed to install them. The weather looks like tuesday afternoon would be a good day for testing out all my new bits.

Thanks, Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2012, 09:59:06 AM »
Pm sent. I have a pile of farkles to install and I am thinking taking off work Monday and Tuesday if needed to install them. The weather looks like tuesday afternoon would be a good day for testing out all my new bits.

Thanks, Matt

Windows shipped. PM sent with tracking info. (For those that might be interested, UPS ground was $13 from Arlington, TX to Indianapolis, IN with company bulk discount.)

Matt, enjoy. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2012, 02:32:24 PM »
Looking forward to trying them out!

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Flathead

« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2012, 04:43:24 PM »
Matt, would love to hear your thoughts and be 'next in line'.

Thanks,
Bill

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2012, 05:07:43 PM »
Will do. I'll pm you when I get them and get a few miles on them.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2012, 02:23:22 PM »
They were waiting on me when I got home from work. Unfortunately it is also snowing at the moment and I am not that talented! Have to wait a few days for streets to clear and dry up enough for me. Hell of a deal getting that box shipped for only $13! I may try to get my wife to take  it in to her company and ship it for me as soon as I finish testing them.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2012, 11:43:26 AM »
The shields are on their way to flathead's joint.
FWIW, my thoughts on the two shields. I took one look at the V-Stream and knew that no matter how good it was, it wasn't going to stay on my Connie. To me, it just looked ugly. I gave it a short 40 mile ride in mid 40 degree temps with nice sunshine. The shield gave a nice break from the wind for sure, especially at full up position. The downside is I was looking through the shield that way and I just wasn't comfortable having to look through it. At the lowest position I was comfortably looking over it but it didn't really provide much more protection than my stock shield at its highest position. The helmet buffeting and noise was about the same with the stocker up high. When the V-Stream was up high, it was much quieter and buffeting was completely gone. One thing that surprised me on both shields was that when they were in the up position was the wind was curling back behind me and going right up my back under my jacket. I didn't care much for that! This was mostly noticed at highway speeds.
The other shield which was not labeled so I don't know what it is, had similar qualities to the V-Stream but looked more like a stock shield. It was acceptable looking on the bike. I still had to look through the shield at it's upper position. It didn't eliminate the buffeting as much as the V-Stream but still way better than my stock '09 shield. Noise abatement was similar but not quite as good as the V.
Both shields noticeably shook at high speeds when full up. That was something I didn't really care for.

As it stands now, I am buying a shield from a member here off his 2011. If it will get rid of the buffeting and cut the noise even half of what these two shields did, I'll be happy. If I doesn't, I will have to find out what the second of these two shields was and get one of them.

Flathead, I'll try to pm the tracking number to you as soon as I get it from my wife. She shipped it through her company and it was $13.55 from Indy to Denver.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2012, 12:39:03 PM »
The shields are on their way to flathead's joint.
FWIW, my thoughts on the two shields. I took one look at the V-Stream and knew that no matter how good it was, it wasn't going to stay on my Connie. To me, it just looked ugly. I gave it a short 40 mile ride in mid 40 degree temps with nice sunshine. The shield gave a nice break from the wind for sure, especially at full up position. The downside is I was looking through the shield that way and I just wasn't comfortable having to look through it. At the lowest position I was comfortably looking over it but it didn't really provide much more protection than my stock shield at its highest position. The helmet buffeting and noise was about the same with the stocker up high. When the V-Stream was up high, it was much quieter and buffeting was completely gone. One thing that surprised me on both shields was that when they were in the up position was the wind was curling back behind me and going right up my back under my jacket. I didn't care much for that! This was mostly noticed at highway speeds.
The other shield which was not labeled so I don't know what it is, had similar qualities to the V-Stream but looked more like a stock shield. It was acceptable looking on the bike. I still had to look through the shield at it's upper position. It didn't eliminate the buffeting as much as the V-Stream but still way better than my stock '09 shield. Noise abatement was similar but not quite as good as the V.
Both shields noticeably shook at high speeds when full up. That was something I didn't really care for.

As it stands now, I am buying a shield from a member here off his 2011. If it will get rid of the buffeting and cut the noise even half of what these two shields did, I'll be happy. If I doesn't, I will have to find out what the second of these two shields was and get one of them.

Flathead, I'll try to pm the tracking number to you as soon as I get it from my wife. She shipped it through her company and it was $13.55 from Indy to Denver.

Matt

I'm pretty sure the 2nd shield is a CalSci medium.  http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Concoursprod.html
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2012, 12:50:09 PM »
I'm pretty sure the 2nd shield is a CalSci medium.  http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Concoursprod.html

Correct. It is a Cal Sci medium. I found it to be better that the V-Stream, but am still looking at other options. I did think that the Cal Sci medium was better than my '11 stocker.

And I agree with basmntdweller, that V-Stream was quite ugly.

Flathead

« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2012, 03:34:21 PM »
Thanks Matt, looking forward to the experiment!

Bill

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2012, 05:59:11 PM »
Can I get on this list. How does it work.
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2012, 06:21:50 PM »
Just let flathead know you want in. He'll pay the shipping to get them to you after he is done checking them out unless someone else has got dibbs on them first. After you get them, keep an eye on this thread waiting for the next guy to want them after you are done checking them out. It is up to you to pay shipping to whoever wants them next. Shipping is much cheaper if you can do it through a company that has a UPS business account.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2012, 06:53:54 PM »
OK great.

Flathead put me on the list. If I am next send let me know and I will PM you my addy.
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS