Author Topic: Try a windshield for free....  (Read 242524 times)

Offline CitrusC14

Re: Try a windshield for free....
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2011, 07:30:34 PM »
To start this off let me say this, my bike is a 2011 (taller stock screen) and I stand 6'-5". With the stock screen all the way up, the wind blast hits me in the upper chest area.  On to the testing.  The Cal-Sci screen is nearly the same size as the stocker so I didn't even bother to mount it.  The V-Stream looks alot bigger, but is only about 2 1/2" taller.  With the V-Stream all the way up the wind blast hit my visor/upper helmet area resulting in a very noisy ride.  If I ducked down about 2" I found myself in a still and very quiet area.  An improvement over the stocker, but worth it?  The other thing about the V-Stream is how much it shook in turbulent air, to the point of being worrisom and distracting.  So between not being quite enough protection and the shaking I'll pass on the V-Stream.  I think I have pretty much decided on getting a CB Ultra. 

The shields were shipped yesterday (10-17) to Seajay.  Thanks to those who started this!!

Tim
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 03:00:24 AM by CitrusC14 »

Offline Stavee

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2011, 07:36:03 PM »
DonB is the guy that provided the windshields.. You might send him a big thank you.
First bike '38 DKW

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2011, 01:18:24 PM »
I'm gonna go ahead and take my name off the list.  I ended up buying a Cal Sci Large and I'm pretty happy with it.  I'm 6' tall and with the shield down, I get smooth air hitting me from about the neck on up.  I stay much warmer than the stock '09 screen.  With the shield all the way up, the air just grazes the top of my helmet.  If I duck down a tiny bit I'm in completely silence.  I like the stock screen for warm weather and the Cal Sci is nice for the cooler weather.  I don't ride a lot of long distances.  If I ever do, I'll probably look into buying one of the MRA Vario spoilers that can be clamped onto my Cal Sci which would put me in complete silence without having to raise the shield up much (if at all).  I don't have much interest in trying the V-Stream as I think the shield wobbling around would drive me nuts and I don't think it would give me any better air flow than the Cal Sci Large I bought.

So, here's the modified list:

1.  seajay  (on it's way)
2.  The
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline seajay

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2011, 03:48:59 PM »
I've had the shields for a few weeks now. It's getting a bit chilly in MN for the morning commutes, so I didn't even bother running with the shields down. I've got the stock '09 shield for when I want the air hitting me, I'm looking for something to get the air around me in the early spring and late fall.

For me, the CalSci is the better of the two shields. With the CalSci all the way up, the air around me got a lot quieter. I still had a little bit flowing over the top of my helmet giving me the smallest amount of noise, but it was way better than the stock shield.

The VStream got me out of the last bit of air flowing over my helmet, and I was amazed at how quiet it really can be. Like others, however, I found that it was shaking around a lot at speed, and that was too distracting for me to seriously consider it.

I'm ready to ship these on, and am trying to get in touch with The for a mailing address. If I can't get in touch with him, there's currently nobody else on the list. While I would be happy to keep riding with the CalSci, if someone wants to test these out, you may have a very short wait.
09 C14 ABS, Black

Offline fourtrax

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2011, 07:09:22 PM »
I would like to get added to the list.  I just picked an 08' and I am looking for a taller shiled. from what i have been reading the v-storm or the calsci are on my short list, it would be awesome to try a few of them out first.

Offline seajay

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2011, 11:27:04 AM »
I have not yet heard from The, so I've sent to fourtrax today.
09 C14 ABS, Black

Offline fourtrax

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2011, 05:30:05 PM »
CJ, got the box today. (rain tomorrow)  but looks like it will be a nice weekend for some testing.   

Thanks to zggtr for the chance to try before you buy.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2011, 06:59:16 PM »
Can I add my name to the list? I'm really interested in the CalSci.

What's the cost to ship these?
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline seajay

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2011, 06:00:09 AM »
Hey Wally,

Shipping from MN to NC via FedEx ground was $35.

seajay
09 C14 ABS, Black

Offline fourtrax

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2011, 05:37:48 PM »
Wally, when i get done testing, if "THE" still hasn't responded i guess you would be next.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2011, 11:09:05 AM »
Wally, when i get done testing, if "THE" still hasn't responded i guess you would be next.

Thanks!  ;D

Is there a "home base" for these windshields? Just wondering the circumstances on how these got out there, how long they've been in circulation, and who was so gracious to let the rest of us try them out.
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline fourtrax

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2011, 02:14:50 PM »
i'm reaady to ship them to wally_games. 

Given the choice i would use either of them, but my personal preference was the CalSci, it reduced the buffeting almost as well as the v-stream but i was still able to look over the screen.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2011, 04:19:11 PM »
PM sent.

Offline fourtrax

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2011, 04:32:27 PM »
Shipped them out to Wally_Games today.   Thanks for the opportunity to test them out.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2011, 08:20:26 PM »
Shipped them out to Wally_Games today.   Thanks for the opportunity to test them out.

Thanks loads! Tracking says they're scheduled to arrive on Friday at my work. I hope they make it before I get off work. it's going to be cold, but I'd like to be able to swap out for one of them this weekend.

Offline backoutonthehighway

• More cowbell!
    • Back Out On The Highway
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2012, 04:14:03 PM »
Thanks loads! Tracking says they're scheduled to arrive on Friday at my work. I hope they make it before I get off work. it's going to be cold, but I'd like to be able to swap out for one of them this weekend.

What do you think Wally? Which do you prefer?
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic | 2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2012, 07:16:03 PM »
What do you think Wally? Which do you prefer?

Well, with the holidays and the weather, today was my first chance to test one out. I put the Cal Sci on over the holidays and that's when I found out that I was missing one of the screws that holds the windshield on. Local dealerships were both closed between the holidays so have a temp Home Depot bolt in it's place for now.

Anyway, I rode about 250 miles today. Temperature ranged between 28 and 42 degrees on the way to work this morning (85 interstate miles), but was a beautiful 70-72 this afternoon. The Cal Sci is a great improvement over the stock (2011). I do notice a good bit of back pressure when the windshield is between full up and about 2-3 inches down. It's very noticable at first, but the feeling seems to fade some as you ride. Below 70 mph, it's very comfortable. I notice a little buffeting when the windshield is down at highway-plus speeds, but far better than the stocker. With handwings, this would have been a great windshield for 30 degree riding, although my hands didn't freeze this morning with the heated grips running at about half power.

I'm just a hair shy of 6 feet tall with a 34 inch inseam. I also have a Corbin seat, which I believe is shorter than stock by nearly an inch. At full up, the top of the shield (this is a medium) is just about perfectly in line with my eyes. I can look over it even in full up position, or can look through it with very little change in position. It was very stable, even when following a semi and I really do like that.

I'd be intersted in buying a medium Cal Sci, but I'm wondering what I'd use in the summer when I could use a little more air in the Texas heat. Back to the stocker? Maybe a tinted shortie Cal Sci? I don't think I'd like a large Cal Sci as it would be too high when down and much too high at full up. I like a sportier look, so don't want some huge plastic sail in front of me like I had on my old Goldwing.

Personnally, I don't care for the look of the V-Stream. That funky double bubble shape and the way it's wide at the top and narrow in the middle just isn't very attractive, IMHO. If I can, I'm going to go ahead and put it on and give it a ride, but I'm afraid that the look is a deal breaker for me. Once I give it a quick test, just for comparison purposes, I'll put the stocker back on and be ready to move these two along to someone else. Cold front coming through tonight, so not sure how quickly it will be, but I'll be ready to move these along pretty soon.

Offline DonB

• Let's Ride
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2012, 09:06:50 PM »
I forgot when I started this. must have been back in 2008. I wonder how many miles these shields have traveled in a box????
2012 Candy Arabian Red C14 but it's not Red to me
2012 Blue ABS Wing
2011 White Vstrom                               = o&o>

• More cowbell!
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2012, 09:07:25 PM »
Thanks Wally. I just bought a large cal-sci (6-1' 34" inseam). I'll put it on tomorrow. I'm sure I'll like it better than the stock.

Are these the only two in this test kit? I thought there was a see bailes in there as well.
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic | 2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)

• More cowbell!
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2012, 09:08:39 PM »
I forgot when I started this. must have been back in 2008. I wonder how many miles these shields have traveled in a box????

Well thanks Don!