Author Topic: fire down below..... or first fire  (Read 8973 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
fire down below..... or first fire
« on: December 04, 2015, 11:29:04 PM »
I held off, and did good... but somewhere between the Benchmark#8, and momma going to bed, I went out, split a face chord, brought some in, and made the first fire of the year... warm, comfy, dog is loving it, so am I.

momma ain't even knowing the "fire" is burning.. she be-otched me for my thoughts earlier tonight.. saing i had to fix the flue... well, flue was fine. and so is this fire..

happy snow season to all.

oh, we'll be at the 50's all next week, starting tomorrow.., i'm just getting ready.

oh, and F alll you cali riders, and floriday riders also.... you have no clue..... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :battle: :rotflmao:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Blown32

Re: fire down below..... or first fire
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 07:28:57 AM »
Nothing like a warm fire on a cold snowy night!

We heat exclusively with wood (have hot water heat available, just don't use it) and although I hate the loss of good ridding weather I enjoy the hands on approach to keeping the house warm. 
Current 2 wheel rides:
2014 Councours 14, 2003 ZRX1200r, 2001 ZRX1200r, 1994 KLR 650, 1985 Eliminator 900 (will sell in the spring)

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 07:56:34 AM »
  I shouldn't have to mention to ya that splittin' wood & while sippin' CAN be hazardous to your digits... just sayin'  :o

At any rate the fire looks good!
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 06:59:43 PM »
  I shouldn't have to mention to ya that splittin' wood & while sippin' CAN be hazardous to your digits... just sayin'  :o

At any rate the fire looks good!

don't use an axe, use a splitting maul, and its dulll.... nontheless, I'm a bit sore now....old bones...heheheheh

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 06:51:23 AM »
 For your viewing pleasure, although you've prolly seen this vid before:
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAEXsXJ0aTY
And this handy idea to keep the splittin's together for easy-peasy pickup:
http://www.viralnova.com/chopping-wood-hack
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 08:09:55 AM »
Sunday morning, around 10AM or so, waiting on one of my COG riding buds to show up for a nice 2 wheeled trek through the hillsides just north of here. Weather is a splendid mid 70's sunny, no rain, low humidity. It's his 50th birthday, I'll get him a steak or a hamburger, whatever he wants, and I'll tell him how it sucks on this side of 50. Then we'll go back out and carve some corners while I get aquainted with the new penske shock on the back of the c-14. ... THIS is why I moved to Florida   :shoot: :shoot: :yikes: :yikes: Steve

Offline Blown32

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 08:41:32 AM »
For your viewing pleasure, although you've prolly seen this vid before:
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAEXsXJ0aTY
And this handy idea to keep the splittin's together for easy-peasy pickup:
http://www.viralnova.com/chopping-wood-hack

For the big splitting I use a hydraulic splitter but for smaller stuff and kindling I use a ATV tire around the top of my splitting block kind of like this:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2013/12/using-tires-wood-chopping-block

It works great, load it up and split away.  No chasing pieces or constantly putting them back on the block.  Keep splitting for a bunch of kindling, makes it simple and quick. 

Another tip, try a Fiskars X27 Super Splitting Axe.  They are great, I've tried most all types/designs and the Fiskars' design is by far the best of them. 

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-X27-Super-Splitting-36-Inch/dp/B004M3BAQE/ref=sr_1_1/189-8949842-6277848?ie=UTF8&qid=1449416301&sr=8-1&keywords=fiskars+x27+axe
Current 2 wheel rides:
2014 Councours 14, 2003 ZRX1200r, 2001 ZRX1200r, 1994 KLR 650, 1985 Eliminator 900 (will sell in the spring)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 09:26:31 AM »
I happened to walk into Homely Despot to buy stain a couple of months ago and noticed an Ariens wood splitter sitting outside; took a look and it was clearly NOT new. Sign said $1,200.... I tracked down the store manager and he said it was a customer return and they were just using it for display and they had three brand new ones in stock for the price on the sign. But I asked how much for THAT one, and after haggling a bit, got it for $800. I do not believe it had one hour on it, the engine started on the third pull (a Subaru engine), ran well, it was full of clean motor and hydraulic oil so I took it. It worked out great because I had 5 red maples knocked down around my house about two weeks before and they were fairly large- 32" to 35" at the trunk in diameter.

Bucked the wood, split it all and Andrea made Holz Hausens out of the wood; I think we have somewhere between 10 and 12 cord on hand right now.

I love burning wood (Easy Boys!). :-)

Brian

I held off, and did good... but somewhere between the Benchmark#8, and momma going to bed, I went out, split a face chord, brought some in, and made the first fire of the year... warm, comfy, dog is loving it, so am I.

momma ain't even knowing the "fire" is burning.. she be-otched me for my thoughts earlier tonight.. saing i had to fix the flue... well, flue was fine. and so is this fire..

happy snow season to all.

oh, we'll be at the 50's all next week, starting tomorrow.., i'm just getting ready.

oh, and F alll you cali riders, and floriday riders also.... you have no clue..... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :battle: :rotflmao:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline BMahar

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 07:24:18 PM »
  We use wood in our stove to heat the house. I split the wood with the same type of splitter as Brian. I used to hand split the wood years ago but at 72 I prefer the new technology. I still have to hand stack the split wood. Anyone know of an easier method. I'm open to suggestions.
  Brent
2011 Concours ABS, Black

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 09:29:12 PM »
Stacking the wood in the holz hausen is easier than stacking in windrows and takes  up less room.

My wife stacks the wood and I find that to be the easiest way I have found yet. You can always ask her to stack your fire wood- hey, it could work.

:-)

Brian

We use wood in our stove to heat the house. I split the wood with the same type of splitter as Brian. I used to hand split the wood years ago but at 72 I prefer the new technology. I still have to hand stack the split wood. Anyone know of an easier method. I'm open to suggestions.
  Brent
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline BMahar

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 10:56:54 AM »
  Brian, I don't even know your wife's name, let alone ask her to stack the wood.  But it is a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.
  Brent 
2011 Concours ABS, Black

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 12:09:48 PM »
  Brian, I don't even know your wife's name, let alone ask her to stack the wood.  But it is a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

She wears thick leather gloves when she handles Brian's wood, so don't get your hopes up, unless of course you're into that whole leather scene.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 01:55:21 PM »
I think there should an "(easy boys)" in there somewhere  ;)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 03:12:01 PM »

Kind of pointless with this crowd, don't ya think?  ;D

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 04:50:13 PM »

it can get worse...
momma works for a huge garden center, and yesterday when she came home she told me she is now the "fluff" expert...
she has to "fluff" all the christmas trees on sale, both natural and artificial....

soooo, now my wife is a "fluff chick".... who woulda figured...

I told her to wear 2 pairs of gloves....

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 05:37:36 PM »
Yeah, he should'a stuck one o' dem in there but at least he mentioned she has to wear gloves (plural) 'cause one is not enough (Easy Boys!).

:-)

Brian

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 05:17:21 AM »

:rotflmao:

No need for any fires in my stove as of yet. It's been nice and warm 'round these parts, mostly.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn