Author Topic: About that shift lever...  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
About that shift lever...
« on: September 07, 2018, 04:57:16 PM »
I have been wondering about this shift lever for a while.  I have times when my foot slips off of the damn lever (up-shifting) or just can't locate it when I place my foot in a shifting position.  I have tried to ride with the side of my foot wedged up against the lever but I feel contorted and all pigeon-toed.  I think I would be happier if the thing was longer, instead of shifting with the side of my foot (It feels that way anyhow).  I have adjusted the angle of the lever so my boot fits beneath it but it just doesn't stick out far enough IMO.  Is there a farkle for this?  Has someone addressed my problem and didn't send me the memo?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: About that shift lever...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 09:36:00 PM »
Probably would be better posted to the "Accessories and modifications" forum...
(http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?board=3.0)

One popular mod is a ball bearing for the shifter to make it more crisp and easier to operate. 

I have not seen aftermarket shifters at all (presumably something longer).  Keep in mind that anything much longer might get in the way and also limit lean angle.

Maybe: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17262
Which is not quite right.  So you might be on your own.  You might want to try adjusting the height up or down to better match your toe position and angle.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 11:58:46 PM »
I have the shift lever from my wrecked Connie, should you decide to experiment on one. I saved it in case someone broke theirs, and needed one.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline Tree

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 02:07:10 AM »
I have the shift lever from my wrecked Connie, should you decide to experiment on one. I saved it in case someone broke theirs, and needed one.

If I could weld worth a dam I would certainly take you up on that offer.  Somehow extending the lever a bit might work.  However, my best work is done with a soldering iron - and spectators standing around with fire extinguishers for some reason.  ;D

Probably would be better posted to the "Accessories and modifications" forum...
(http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?board=3.0)

One popular mod is a ball bearing for the shifter to make it more crisp and easier to operate. 

I have not seen aftermarket shifters at all (presumably something longer).  Keep in mind that anything much longer might get in the way and also limit lean angle.

Maybe: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17262
Which is not quite right.  So you might be on your own.  You might want to try adjusting the height up or down to better match your toe position and angle.

I was hoping the moderator would flame my post but he didn't take the bait.   >:(  Thanks for pulling those posts.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 07:18:11 AM »
If I could weld worth a dam I would certainly take you up on that offer.  Somehow extending the lever a bit might work.  However, my best work is done with a soldering iron - and spectators standing around with fire extinguishers for some reason. ;D

I was hoping the moderator would flame my post but he didn't take the bait.   >:(  Thanks for pulling those posts.
LOL that could be a bit exciting at 20000 Leagues Under The Sea

Offline Tree

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 11:52:48 AM »
LOL that could be a bit exciting at 20000 Leagues Under The Sea

It was always lots of fun trying to make repairs to a nuclear propulsion system at depth.  Got the blood flowing.

Stay in school kids.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 04:08:33 PM »
I have been wondering about this shift lever for a while.  I have times when my foot slips off of the damn lever (up-shifting) or just can't locate it when I place my foot in a shifting position.  I have tried to ride with the side of my foot wedged up against the lever but I feel contorted and all pigeon-toed.  I think I would be happier if the thing was longer, instead of shifting with the side of my foot (It feels that way anyhow).  I have adjusted the angle of the lever so my boot fits beneath it but it just doesn't stick out far enough IMO.  Is there a farkle for this?  Has someone addressed my problem and didn't send me the memo?

I don't have an issue with the lever, but... I'm a really cheap ol' bastich', maybe find a short piece of heavy rubber vacume/coolant hose, or some such material, and 'jamb' it onto the toe-thing-a-ma-bobber, to offer a bit more length to the projection....????

now, if that works, don't go selling them... it was my idea....I want royalties....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 07:55:38 AM »
I had to put one of these on the BMW as the shifting was impossible with the stock lever. Not sure of inner diameter but I am sure a good tool and die guy could fab one up. https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-R-1100-1150-RT/Alu-High-grade-Steel/Shift-lever-extension.html
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline Tree

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 11:34:27 AM »

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 12:54:05 PM »
That's what I'm looking for.  Something that makes the lever just a bit longer.  Story of my life.
That's what she said.

Don't forget those pleasure enhancing "OH!" rings.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 02:56:15 PM »
That's what she said.   Don't forget those pleasure enhancing "OH!" rings.

LOL- Ribbed for YOUR pleasure...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc