Author Topic: Just a decelerating question  (Read 2250 times)

Offline momo65

Just a decelerating question
« on: April 20, 2012, 03:22:13 PM »
since the weather is getting better here in Minnesota, i started playing around with bike stuff, i notice i had a little bit of play in the throttle and decided to tighten her up a bit, now when am riding there is no play in the throttle specially during the turns which feels really good, but if i let it go just a bit it seems that the bike is needing more gas, kind of goes into an engine break (don't really know how to explain it), seems like it needs more gas, had that before but not this bad,, do i need to go back and try to find a good spot and keep playing with it????

Offline momo65

Re: Just a decelerating question
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 03:24:11 PM »
sorry keep forgetting to post the bike year, is a 2009 Black (fast one)

Offline RideBellChain

• RideBellChain.com Send a bell, receive a free bell!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 05:06:47 PM »
I had some weird things happen on a different bike when I worked all of the play out. The other bike was a dual-cable setup with cruise control built in... The fix was to make sure that there was at least 1/8" of play.

Check the spec in the service manual...I think I have too much, and now that I'm at about 2000 miles, I'm thinking that the cable "stretched" just a bit, so I'll be tightening mine up this weekend.

Hope that helps...ride safe.

Ride Safe!  Mark Turkel
http://www.RideBellChain.com
2012 Black Kawi Concours 14, 2008 Yami Royal Star Venture

Offline momo65

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 05:19:38 PM »
Thanks for the reply, yeah i think i have to find the sweet spot , i think i might of tighten the release part of the throttle too much, and made it snap back too soon, been reading about it, am going out and trying it out see if it takes care of the minor problem.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 07:18:48 AM »
play in the throttle and decided to tighten her up a bit, now when am riding there is no play in the throttle specially during the turns which feels really good, but if i let it go just a bit it seems that the bike is needing more gas, kind of goes into an engine break (don't really know how to explain it),

As RideBellChain said, you probably need MORE play.

sorry keep forgetting to post the bike year, is a 2009 Black

On this topic, it wouldn't matter which year.  But put it in your signature/user info, and it will display on every post!

(fast one)

Until compared to a Silver :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jtk1531

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 08:57:43 AM »
there should always be some play in the cables. if you take out all the play in the throttle cables, you might find your engine revving up when you turn the handle bar full lock to either side. not a nice thing to find out while you're doing slow speed / parking lot maneuvers.
cable tension changes as the handlebar turns from one side to the other.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 09:03:40 AM »
If you take out all the play in the throttle cables, you might find your engine revving up when you turn the handle bar full lock to either side. not a nice thing to find out while you're doing slow speed / parking lot maneuvers; cable tension changes as the handlebar turns from one side to the other.

That is especially true if you are using risers and are stretching the cables to reach.  Hasn't been a problem with the Helibars on my Concours, but when I added the GenMar on my previous bike, ZRX, I did have issues with exactly that.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc