Author Topic: Big asteroid coming this way.  (Read 3074 times)

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
Big asteroid coming this way.
« on: November 05, 2011, 01:29:13 AM »
I guess any miss is a good miss, but 202,000 miles seems scary close to me, in cosmic terms.

http://www.boston.com/news/science/articles/2011/11/05/quarter_mile_wide_asteroid_coming_close_to_earth/

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Big asteroid coming this way.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 07:54:37 PM »
That's the one, Conrad...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 07:21:51 AM »
Nuttin to worry about.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 02:13:17 PM »
You sure?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 04:45:44 AM »
You can worry if you like, it won't help, so just don't.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 05:06:04 AM »
Where are the Doomsday cults on this? I don't worry until they do.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 08:45:29 AM »
http://spaceweather.com/

ASTEROID FLYBY: NASA radars are monitoring 2005 YU55, an asteroid the size of an aircraft carrier, as it heads for a Nov. 8th flyby of the Earth-Moon system. There is no danger to our planet. At closest approach on Tuesday at 3:28 pm PST (23:28 UT), the 400m-wide space rock will be 324,600 kilometers away, about 85% the distance from Earth to the Moon.

Professional astronomers are eagerly anticipating the flyby as the asteroid presents an exceptionally strong radar target. Powerful transmitters at Goldstone and Arecibo will ping the space rock as it passes by, revealing the asteroid's shape and texture in crisp detail, and pinpointing its orbit for future flyby calculations. A movie from JPL explains:

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?collection_id=77341&media_id=119025761

Asteroid 2005 YU55

Asteroids this big have passed by Earth at similar distances many times before, but this is the first time astronomers have known about the flyby in advance. For instance, a similar encounter occurred in 1976 when 2010 XC15 split the distance between Earth and the Moon. Researchers didn't discover that space rock until 24 years after the flyby. The Nov. 8, 2011, passage of 2005 YU55 thus represents a rare opportunity for asteroid research.

Experienced amateur astronomers should be able to photograph 2005 YU55 as it zips through the constellations Aquila and Pegasus glowing like an 11th magnitude star. Even under the full moonlight of Nov. 8th, such a bright asteroid is within reach of mid-sized backyard telescopes. The timing of the flyby favors observers in western Europe and eastern parts of North America.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 10:03:47 AM »
That's no aseroid, its a space station and they are swinging by for a closer look.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 11:12:44 AM »
Cool stuff. I had no idea that a radio telescope such as Arecibo could be used as an active radar. I thought they just received only looking at radio band transmissions from stellar objects.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 06:31:19 PM »
Well, it missed us by around 202,000 miles, just as predicted.

However, judging by the animation I saw on the TV just now, it almost hit the moon!  That could have been fun for the astronomers!
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 08:01:38 PM »
Well, the way things went at work today, I wish I had hit us, right smack in Washington State.  On our building.  On me.

Tomorrow may be better.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 08:20:49 PM »
"That's no moon, that's a fully operational Death Star!"   (Stock up on beer)
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 04:52:48 AM »
"That's no moon, that's a fully operational Death Star!"   (Stock up on beer)