Author Topic: Shifter Adjustment  (Read 6318 times)

Offline Dan in Grand Rapids

Shifter Adjustment
« on: September 22, 2011, 04:42:47 PM »
My shifter is extremely sloppy. The thing rattles when riding and moves up and down a couple of inches before it engages anything. I plan on buying the linkage upgrade in a couple of months when money is not so tight. It is the usual unplanned car problems etc. I have to go to Illinois in a couple of weeks and the bike is my most reliable transportation, so it is what I am taking. Is there a way to tighten things up down there a bit before I upgrade the linkage? I just want to firm it up a bit for the next month or so until I can afford the kit. Any ideas?
1997 Concours
1999 KLR 650

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Shifter Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 03:52:30 AM »
Sadly Dan there is no fixing that crappy old shift linkage once it goes down hill. But on the bright side as long as there is no internal issues which there usually is not I've seen my kit make a night & day difference in the shift quality of these bikes. Sorry that all I've got is a sales pitch but it is a truthful one; you will not be disappointed.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 04:36:04 AM »
Thanks for the reply. That was what I was thinking too, and I will have to order a kit from you soon.
1997 Concours
1999 KLR 650

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 06:46:17 AM »

I have had TCro's Shift linkage for 1 1/2 yrs and 10,000 miles and haven't missed a shift yet!!  Way better than the OEM!
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 08:18:09 PM »

I have had TCro's Shift linkage for 1 1/2 yrs and 10,000 miles and haven't missed a shift yet!!  Way better than the OEM!

If the rain holds off I will have to check your linkage on Sunday at motorcycle church.
1997 Concours
1999 KLR 650

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 09:10:58 PM »
.... on Sunday at motorcycle church.

Dam I havn't been to church in years.... :(
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 10:24:01 PM »
If the rain holds off I will have to check your linkage on Sunday at motorcycle church.

You can look at it but no fondling!! ::)
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 10:34:02 PM »
Dam I havn't been to church in years.... :(
Hey Tony, were you at Bike Church many moons ago?? Seems I invited a few people way back when and a few showed up. Were you on of those riders? ???

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 04:00:38 AM »
Hey Tony, were you at Bike Church many moons ago?? Seems I invited a few people way back when and a few showed up. Were you on of those riders? ???

You might have invited me...... But sadly I'm never home!
Tony P. Crochet

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 05:54:06 PM »
I just had to post that I bought T Cro's shift linkage and the connie is like a new bike. Thanks. I was thinking about another bike and looking, but now the connie is fun again. This was a night and day difference in rideability.
1997 Concours
1999 KLR 650

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 06:47:17 PM »
I just had to post that I bought T Cro's shift linkage and the connie is like a new bike. Thanks. I was thinking about another bike and looking, but now the connie is fun again. This was a night and day difference in rideability.

Sounds as though I saved you a big fist full of dollars!   :chugbeer:
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 09:36:01 PM »

See Dan, I told you so!! 8)

Offline throb

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 02:23:06 AM »

They speak the truth!  I was skeptical that it would make much difference but after installing mine a few months ago, there is a huge improvement in shift "quality".   :thumbs:
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline gruff54

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 03:50:46 AM »
"This was a night and day difference in rideability"

+1

Offline Summit670

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 03:11:40 PM »
Can someone post some pics of the parts in the shift linkage kit and a pic of them installed or something?  I might buy one myself.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 03:23:45 PM »
Can someone post some pics of the parts in the shift linkage kit and a pic of them installed or something?  I might buy one myself.
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=67.0
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157