Author Topic: Ugh... the call no parent wants to get late at night  (Read 9254 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Ugh... the call no parent wants to get late at night
« on: December 02, 2012, 12:01:43 PM »
Nothing like being woke up in the middle of the night to your daughter crying and saying she just crashed her car...  :o

Luckily she is ok, but she sure did a number on her Volvo, we got dressed in about 30 seconds and drove out to the scene, poor thing, I think it really scared the hell out of her. Got it towed last night to our Volvo shop, she didn't make a corner in the hard rain and drilled a curb, I hope the frame aint bent, it broke the wheel and pushed it all the way back and into the door, looks pretty tweaked, liability coverage only so all costs are straight from my pocket...  :'(

Offline tjpgi

Re: Ugh... the call no parent wants to get late at night
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 12:25:28 PM »
My wife and I received the same type of call from a Columbus,Ohio police dispatcher one winter about our 17 year old daughter. Icy roads and a teenage driver not a good combination. We were also lucky that only the car was damaged. It was a scary several seconds until they assured us that there was no injury.
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 12:29:15 PM »
My wife and I received the same type of call from a Columbus,Ohio police dispatcher one winter about our 17 year old daughter. Icy roads and a teenage driver not a good combination. We were also lucky that only the car was damaged. It was a scary several seconds until they assured us that there was no injury.

Yep, agreed TJ, she as well is 17 years old, mama and I were only worried about her, the car is just a car. Situations like this make ya appreciate things more than normal.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 12:34:07 PM »
Thank goodness all is ok, ZG.  Over the years I've got totally paranoid when the phone rings these days.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 01:52:25 PM »
Looks like it took the hit pretty good. Hope You can get it fixed up. Looks like a good safe car.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline julianop

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 03:20:16 PM »
The good thing about this, ZG, is that now the young lady has the direct experience of limits - hers and the car's - and that experience will translate to wisdom. (It usually takes more than one experience for boys, regretfully, but girls are usually smart and learn the first time!.)

Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 03:23:51 PM »
Thanks guys.  :grouphug:

If anyone knows where I can find one of these older style Antera 17" wheels please let me know, I did a worldwide ebay search and no luck so far finding one, I'm hoping I don't have to buy a whole new set of 4 wheels...  :(

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 03:40:37 PM »
liability coverage only so all costs are straight from my pocket...  :'(

Ouch, that is gonna hurt. Glad she is ok.

Offline timmerz

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 03:45:29 PM »
ZG, sorry to hear about the late-night call, been there, done that twice....just from looking at the pics there, it looks like it's gonna run you a few grand to get everything straightened out again, and it still may not be as good as it originally was...that's what happened with both of my daughter's cars...I sold them for parts and turned around and put the $1k from each with the cash out of pocket I would have put into the repair and got them a better or at least a decent replacement...just my 2 cents, I'm also really glad she's ok...

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 04:14:02 PM »
Thank goodness all is ok, ZG.  Over the years I've got totally paranoid when the phone rings these days.
Really, what's your number Sparky?

Jay, great news the girl is not hurt.  Bummer about the Volvo, as the front suspension does look seriously tweaked.  You might want to get the repair diagnosis before worrying too much about the wheel.

When it comes to finding a wheel, there should be one in a local wrecking yard.  If their parts locator doesn't come up with one, let me know, I have a buddy that owns a yard up in Longview.  Also, the U-Pull It yards might have one.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 05:12:37 PM »
Really, what's your number Sparky?

Jay, great news the girl is not hurt.  Bummer about the Volvo, as the front suspension does look seriously tweaked.  You might want to get the repair diagnosis before worrying too much about the wheel.

When it comes to finding a wheel, there should be one in a local wrecking yard.  If their parts locator doesn't come up with one, let me know, I have a buddy that owns a yard up in Longview.  Also, the U-Pull It yards might have one.

Yep, agreed Rob. I won't buy a wheel until I get the estimate to fix the front end from the shop, I was only doing some search's for the wheel because knowing it's a 10+ year old discontinued aftermarket Italian wheel I new it wouldn't be an easy find...  :(

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 05:13:40 PM »
Ouch! Glad she's ok J.

You should have got her the slower black Volvo.   ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 05:14:50 PM »
Ouch! Glad she's ok J.

;D

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 05:28:54 PM »
That's rough. We're at the point where we have young "adult" aged drivers and elderly parents. We hate to hear the phone ring anytime except 6-8 pm. If my wife says, "it's for you" I'm expecting mechanical problems of some kind. Good luck.
Ron
2014 C-14 Red

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 05:56:31 PM »
Just seeing this, glad she's OK!!!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline enumclaw

• The universe has a plan
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 06:08:40 PM »
I feel the shot in the gut you had.

Got the call from my daughter earlier this year, 1 week after her 18th bd.  Pulled out from a stop sign in a Toyota Corolla, only to get smashed in the driver's side by a Ford Expedition.  Totalled the Toyota, but amazingly she and her friend were unhurt but for a scratch or two.  The Expedition was probably doing around 45 at impact.  Knocked all the left front suspension into the tranny, airbag deployed, etc.  Hit just in front of the driver's door.  A split second and a foot difference we probably would have received the call from someone other than my daughter. 

Liability on the car only as well.  Sold it to a junkyard.  I have nothing but good to say about how a Toyota can hold up in a crash.  So glad she wasn't badly hurt.  Your daughter as well.

Rob

DL650: KLR250: C10

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 07:50:13 PM »
I feel the shot in the gut you had.

Got the call from my daughter earlier this year, 1 week after her 18th bd.  Pulled out from a stop sign in a Toyota Corolla, only to get smashed in the driver's side by a Ford Expedition.  Totalled the Toyota, but amazingly she and her friend were unhurt but for a scratch or two.  The Expedition was probably doing around 45 at impact.  Knocked all the left front suspension into the tranny, airbag deployed, etc.  Hit just in front of the driver's door.  A split second and a foot difference we probably would have received the call from someone other than my daughter. 

Liability on the car only as well.  Sold it to a junkyard.  I have nothing but good to say about how a Toyota can hold up in a crash.  So glad she wasn't badly hurt.  Your daughter as well.

Dang! That Toyota is worth its weight in gold..she got hit by a tank! Glad your life ( and hers) wasn't forever changed.
I would guess you and the wife hugged her for a very long time. I'm going to give my daughter a hug the next time I see her  ( now married with 2 young boys).

Several years ago, my good friend's 18 year old son was driving down a 4 lane highway in a Land Cruiser and was broad sided from the oncoming lane by a speeding teenager. The Land Cruiser was totalled and the boy's head went through the driver's side window. Other than some minor outward facial and scalp injury he appeared to be in good shape; in fact he went home after being evaluated and released at the scene by the EMTs. My friend is a family physician and felt comfortable taking him home and observing him. Unfortunately he developed symptoms of severe brain injury. He has become severely paranoid and somewhat violent ( 180 degree turn from what his personality was). He will not leave his basement bedroom and chain smokes and plays video games day after day, hour after hour. He has been on every anti- psychotic drug imaginable and has even had electroconvulsive therapy without any improvement.  Before the accident he was a gifted high school student passionate about directing and producing films and hoped to pursue this course as a career. His project films were highly entertaining. The girls loved him. But now he has lost about 30 pounds, hair shaved, a recluse. He is their only child and all of their dreams for grandchildren and future fond memories have been destroyed in an instant. This happened over 8 years ago.

For all of us who have been spared this type of misfortune we have much to be thankful for...

« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 04:07:45 PM by tjpgi »
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline okxd45

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 08:08:44 PM »
Just seeing this, glad she's OK!!!

Me too! :)
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 10:14:44 PM »
Ouch! Glad she's ok J.

FWIW, been there, done that and I agree, it sucks. 

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 09:04:28 PM »
Got the report back from the shop, the Volvo is toast...  :(

LF STRUT
RF WHEEL
RF TIRE
RF LOWER CONTROL ARM ASSY
RF BRAKE SPLASH SHEILD
RF KNUCKLE W/ABS
HUB