Author Topic: Broke the windshield bracket yesterday  (Read 14080 times)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
Re: Broke the windshield bracket yesterday
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 12:45:18 PM »
hey, give the guy some credit. It took him 17 posts to mention his FOB  :chugbeer:
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 01:19:10 PM »
His FOB with fresh battery is so powerful it protects my bike a half continent away!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 03:35:35 PM »
His FOB with fresh battery is so powerful it protects my bike a half continent away!

;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ruffride

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2017, 09:44:54 PM »
To fix your broken windshield bracket you remove the windshield from the mounts and remove the plastic cover in the front of the bike. You will see the bracket directly in front of you it looks like a big Y. You will note at the bottom this is the portion that is broken. You'll see a hole at the bottom of this bracket. When you move the windshield mechanism up and down you'll see the hole slide along the plate behind it. Take a sharpie stick it in that hole move the windshield mechanism up-and-down to mark the plate behind the bracket. Disassemble that bracket and the plate behind it. Use a dermal with a cutting metal wheel to cut a notch where you marked. Slide a bolt through the backside use to nuts on the front side and tighten them against each other. Make sure there is a little play in the bolt to allow it to freely slide up and down the notch. Mount the plate and bracket then reattach the windscreen mounts to the bracket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpg_HMgY8_U
Enjoy the ride

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2017, 06:24:58 AM »
To fix your broken windshield bracket

Thanks for the info and video.  Hopefully I will never need it :)  Have never seen using silicone on nuts/bolts before, I wouldn't think that would be strong enough to prevent unwinding... I believe a nyloc nut should work better, and/or thread lock.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ruffride

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2017, 04:43:54 PM »
Well I will have an up date in a few days. I am pursuing a more permanent fix that will handle larger windscreens at high speed.  I will link a video when finished.

Best, Jon
Enjoy the ride

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2017, 06:04:29 PM »
Well I will have an up date in a few days. I am pursuing a more permanent fix that will handle larger windscreens at high speed. 

I am going to guess that the original/factory design is probably fine for the life of the bike *IF* one only ever uses the factory windscreen and no topper.  But a lot of us are using something larger or modified in some way (me included- I have an X-creen topper, which I love, but it is a significant amount of mass at the very top of the windscreen).  Wind pressure is one major factor and the other is an extra mass which can greatly amplify bumps and jarring into the support structure.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2017, 01:02:59 PM »
I have always found the greatest stress on my windshield is when caught in turbulent conditions, such as passing a tractor- trailer and similar. It is the repeated 'slaps' of air hitting the windshield that breaks things, not a steady pressure.

Normally I reach up with my left hand and brace the windshield when moving around a truck as I know the buffeting is coming. Probably not the safest thing to do but then again getting hit with a loose windshield would not win any safety awards either so I choose to brace....

My windshield is ~10" taller than a stock Gen. 1 C-14 windshield and has not broken..... yet. :-)

Brian

I am going to guess that the original/factory design is probably fine for the life of the bike *IF* one only ever uses the factory windscreen and no topper.  But a lot of us are using something larger or modified in some way (me included- I have an X-creen topper, which I love, but it is a significant amount of mass at the very top of the windscreen).  Wind pressure is one major factor and the other is an extra mass which can greatly amplify bumps and jarring into the support structure.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ruffride

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2017, 10:51:29 PM »
Here is a permanent solution to fix the broken windscreen bracket on a Kawasaki Concours GTR 1400

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC7BzB_eaaI&feature=youtu.be

Best, Jon
Enjoy the ride

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2017, 04:07:43 AM »
Nice video. Thanks!
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2017, 09:10:19 AM »
Good information!
Thanks Jon.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2018, 07:40:40 AM »
bump so I can find this later to watch video

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2018, 03:23:03 PM »
bump so I can find this later to watch video

There is also a forum "bookmark" function which is useful

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2018, 05:47:00 AM »
There is also a forum "bookmark" function which is useful
This works too plus it help my post count  ;D