Author Topic: Neutral finder failure  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Cpt Chillaxin

Neutral finder failure
« on: February 25, 2018, 06:07:01 AM »
My 13 C14 has 8100 miles on it. Its neural finder would cut the engine while idling. Is this a fluke or a common problem? Also, it was covered by warrenty and replaced no charge.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Neutral finder failure
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 06:12:56 AM »
My 13 C14 has 8100 miles on it. Its neural finder would cut the engine while idling. Is this a fluke or a common problem? Also, it was covered by warrenty and replaced no charge.

Never heard of anything even remotely similar except a problem with the kickstand sensor, which will cut the engine.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Cpt Chillaxin

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 06:21:08 AM »
Never heard of anything even remotely similar except a problem with the kickstand sensor, which will cut the engine.                      Thats what i thought it originally was.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 06:30:46 AM »
What have you done to arrive at a neutral finder diagnoses?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 06:55:21 AM »
There's a gear shift position sensor that can go wonky but it won't cut the engine.  I'm thinking it's the kickstand sensor.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 07:15:13 AM »

Are you saying that when you used the neutral finder to put the gearbox in neutral that the engine would die?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 08:58:05 AM »
The "neutral finder" is just 3 steel balls that drop in slots in the transmission output shaft. When the shaft isn't spinning the balls will not allow 2nd gear to move and mate, if the shaft is spinning centrifugal force moves the balls and allows the gear to move as needed. Part number 600A0500  ;)

IBA #18591

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 02:55:01 PM »
I think the op's talking about the neutral position sensor.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 07:15:39 AM »
Does it stop the engine when shifting into or out of neutral. If it happens when shifting out of neutral, that is the electrical interlock on the bike and would be caused by something like the sidestand being down.

Whatever it is, yes it would be covered by warranty, and it is not a common problem though a few of us have had the gear position indicator (also a part of the neutral switch) 'go bonkers' (technical term for the gear number bouncing all over the place, such as the number going down when up- shifting, etc.). It is an easy part to replace and they should be able to do it while you wait.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline tjhess74

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 05:45:08 PM »
I had the same issue with my 08 a few years ago. The sensor was replaced under warranty and has been fine since. The rear end, however, is a different story. Two seal replacements and still leaks...
'08 C14 Steve's Flash Rocks!!!

The 'other' forum evicted me!