Author Topic: New Connie and new to touring  (Read 1400 times)

Offline norcalblues

New Connie and new to touring
« on: October 13, 2018, 08:26:12 PM »
Hello all! I just purchased a 2017 Concours and I am excited to take it everywhere (or have it take me everywhere I should say). I'm in the Sacramento CA area and am a few years out from retiring from law enforcement.  I used to be a police motor, riding a 1200 RT, and I wanted something comparable but not a drain to ride or fix for my personal life.  I've also ridden the BMW GT which is comfortable, but a beast and not what I want to be riding.  Got my risers and taller windshield and it's perfect.  The only thing I will need fairly quickly is a top box that somehow comes with arm rests.  Yes, I've looked at the past forums back to 2006.  My 10 year old boy wants to go everywhere with me and now can't since I don't have the GT. My wife won't be riding at all so it's just my little guy and me.  I'm looking forward to longer trips with others as well as working events such as Ironman or several day bike race Tours. Thanks for the forum and I am sure I will be learning a lot here!

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
Re: New Connie and new to touring
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 09:33:19 PM »
Congrats on the purchase.  Lots of info and great help to be found here.  Retired 11/16 and loving it!  Rode motors for 13 years and like you, an RT till the last day.  Good luck with the rest of your career. 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 10:23:44 AM »
Welcome norcalblues!

I hope you find the arm rests for your boy, but I've never seen any C14 fitted with those. If you do find some (or end up making your own) please come back here and post about them. The somewhat infamous Corbin trunk is the closest I've seen but it's arm rests are more like little elbow rests and the whole case is reportedly not that stable for leaning against. To be clear I've only seen it and never owned one. For top case security I recommend Phil's replacement plate or the GIVI SR410 support arms for some reason unknown to me the Givi arms no longer fit newer models like yours. I'm not aware of why that would be the case (bad pun intended) as I'm not aware of any frame changes at the rear of the bike?
...again Welcome and best wishes finding arm rests for your boy.

edit: Twisted throttle says the Givi support arms do fit newer models so I don't know what's what, however I guess it's academic as the arms are just case support and not really arm rests. I just mentioned them because I thought they might be useful to add some robustness to what ever you end up doing to get armrests.

Offline norcalblues

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 05:10:59 PM »
I'm going to try to find something similar to the k1200lt rests that attach to the top trunk via flat plates on the sides. Again, those arm rests are to expensive themselves.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 10:48:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Enjoy the read and the ride
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline Rob9876

• Beginner Motorcycling
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 02:01:48 PM »
For top case security I recommend Phil's replacement plate or the GIVI SR410 support arms for some reason unknown to me the Givi arms no longer fit newer models like yours. I'm not aware of why that would be the case (bad pun intended) as I'm not aware of any frame changes at the rear of the bike?
...again Welcome and best wishes finding arm rests for your boy.
Welcome to the forums, and congrats on the Connie!  I have a 2015 Connie and I learned the hard way that the Givi SR410 would not work with 2015's -- there's evidently a tab on the rear frame that prevents it from working.  I returned the Givi and went with the Phil's Farkels mounting plate myself -- Phil was very helpful when we were sorting out why the Givi wouldn't work.

Using Phil's mounting plate with the Monokey tab, I have a Givi Maxia v56 on mine with a back pad -- My son likes to ride with me also (he was 12 when I got the Connie).  I also added the Admore Lighting to the topcase, and I'm very pleased with that.
2015 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Kawasaki Versys ABS, 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 (sold)
Beginner Motorcycling