Author Topic: installing carbs ?  (Read 2543 times)

Offline jim-d

• Arena
installing carbs ?
« on: April 01, 2019, 06:01:34 AM »
I rebuilt my carbs and am very happy with the results.  New pilot jets, super clean.

Guess I didn't pay enough attention to the removal from bike process.

Which cable is pull & which one is push?

One cable retracts strongly when I turn the throttle.  I would guess that is the 'pull' cable.  Problem is the manual says this goes on the outside but you have to push the brackets down to open the throttle plates.  Just the opposite of what I would expect.  I put that one on the inside.  Butterflys open & close but very stiff & no return.  Not installed so still time to change.

Second question is where do those 2 clear tubes go?  Still attached to the carb but I can't tell where they go.  Manual is pretty fuzzy on this.  In Clymer's pg. 250 fig 29 it's called hose # 14 & #10.  They are slightly expanded on the end so I know they go somewhere.

2002 non-California bike.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Mettler1

Re: installing carbs ?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 01:23:44 PM »
  This  may help I hope!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJpRePt9GNA&feature=plcp

'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 02:47:46 PM »
beat me to it...  :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :hail: :hail: :thumbs: :thumbs:
great vid, for sure...
as for the clear tubes, there are clips on the frame, that can be seen at various points, upper right corner of screen @ 6:23... and
6:53 to 7:12,and again at 14:17, where the hoses route up to... they are vents, do not block them.  If the clips are missing, no big deal, just put some tie wraps there loosely, to hold the hoses in position, but so you can slip them back out easily.

Only other adder I can toss out, is when I have the carbs out, I remove the front boot clamps from #1 and #4, and rotate them back to front, then this allows me to rotate the clamping screw "location" on those clamps, from the bottom to the top (from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock), which make it easier to access the clamp screws for #2 and #3 (unblocked and at the bottom)... It's just a personal "habit" I found beneficial, "for me", and also makes for 2 less "hidden razor knife blades" down under to rake your knuckles on, when fiddling with stuff later (like the pilot air screws.. if you find the desire to stick your hands in there...)... I know Steve probably went thru as many band aides as I did wayyyy back, until we worked "smarter"...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 04:53:22 PM »
Butterflys open & close but very stiff & no return.

Prior to installing the cables, were the butterflies stiff?
Assuming not, you need to do a readjust...

You must have some slack (free movement) in the cables or the pull/return will be stiff.
I'm not sure if this is your problem, but loosen the adjustment on both cables (at the carbs) to see if it helps.
I always tighten the open cable first with a bit of slack. Then do the return cable with the same slack. (Done at the carbs)
Later, (if needed) you can remove any "open" cable slack a bit more (at the throttle).

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 05:39:15 PM by connie_rider »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 05:28:04 PM »
Butterflys open & close but very stiff & no return.

Prior to installing the cables, were the butterflies stiff?
Assuming not, you need to do a readjust...

You must have some slack (free movement) in the cables or the pull/return will be stiff.
I'm not sure if this is your problem, but loosen the adjustment on both cables (at the carbs) to see if it helps.
I always tighten the open cable first with a bit of slack. Then do the return cable with the same slack.
Later, you can remove the open cable slack a bit more at the throttle.

Ride safe, Ted

there is no return cable adjustment at the grip.....
only the pull cable.... ::) has adjustment up "top",
both have adjustment at the bottom end, where they are held near the throttle linkage, that/those get adjusted prior, to reduce the need for the top adjust, as a cable stretches...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 05:39:38 PM »
"stiff return" is many time caused by a "kink", in the pull cable end, where it fits into the 'adjusting sleeve", which is down there on the carb end, the part with the threaded adjuster, and top/bottom nuts.. the "cable sheath/end ferrule" that is on the sheath's end, can be "bent", and deformed, and when it sits inside the end of the adjustment sleeve, cocked off at an angle, often causes "binding"... insure it's straight "up and down", and not "kinked off to one side" down there.. often, a half twist on that adjusting "stem", will allow it to work freely, without really affecting the "slack".

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 05:43:56 PM »
nice edit Ted... busted...\

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :finger_fing11:

Offline jim-d

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 05:37:45 AM »
Hey there,
Got it.
Once I figured out that the 'push' cable doesn't do anything, it's just a last ditch mechanical safety to close the throttle if every other system fails, the skies parted.  You can easily do without the 'push' cable.

It's all about the pull cable.  In this particular case the pulling is more important than the pushing.

The nuts loosened up, the cable went slack, the butterflies were flapping just as happy as a clam.

Happy ending!

Guess some people are just born knowing about cables, others...it takes a while.

Thanks for all the help.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 08:41:32 AM »
I hope your not inferring that it didn't take everyone (particularly MOB) awhile to lean it?  :o

What your reading in all the Forum discussions is years and years of {err} learnings... {from everyone}
  Then everyone helps everyone...

NOTE: Learning's include a lot of;
           Hmmm, "I wonder if this will fit"?
                        "I wonder why I still have a part left over"?
                         and,,, "Now",, what did I do wrong"?
                          and,,,{my favorite} "aww s___t, how come that don't work"?
                          and,,, {MOB's favorite} That didn't work. "I'll blame it on Ted".

Ride safe, Ted

Offline sport rider

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 10:52:37 AM »
Rich is so old I just assumed he was born with this knowledge.   ;D ;D ;D

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 02:56:11 PM »
Rich is so old I just assumed he was born with this knowledge.   ;D ;D ;D

Ted is older than me.... :stirpot:

I just get by on my good looks, and staying at a Holiday Inn Express on occasions...

Once I figured out that the 'push' cable doesn't do anything, it's just a last ditch mechanical safety to close the throttle if every other system fails, the skies parted.  You can easily do without the 'push' cable.

Hey, don't short think that Throttle "close" cable, if it ever breaks, you will NOT have a fun ride... it will cause the actual "throttle handgrip" to over rotate, and the cable end will dislodge inside that "pod"....wedging the grip, and creating all sorts of "buttcheek clamping" effects...
Had it happen (cable snapped at the carb linkage) 600 miles from home, on a Sunday morning, and ended up buying a bunch of springs at a home center, and installing / rigging them to make a throttle return... and that was still a p.i.t.a. from Hades of a trip....

Offline jim-d

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 08:50:50 AM »
point taken.

I had a clutch cable break on a Triumph Tiger, soooo long ago I can barely remember.  The cable pulled out of the lug on the clutch end.

I recall stopping at a gas station where a nice guy let me use their torch to solder it back on, didn't work, the lug melted.  I shortened the cable as far as it would go & tied the end onto the clutch lever.

I may have ridden home with a half slipping clutch.

Simpler times and straight forward machinery.

Definitely one of those can never happen things.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 06:00:15 PM »
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :chugbeer: :hail: :rotflmao:
just gotta love that...
having had broken clutch cables many times...
 funnest one was when I let my (now ex) wife, ride my KZ1000 to "work"... she was a fairly decent rider,  raised well in a "bike" family... anyways, her first "solo" run on this bike was after she spent a half hour getting "geared up", in her "biker outfit", and after hearing the bike "start", and rev, and I fell back asleep.. a half hour later (after she struggled to get out from underneath the bike, that she dropped on herself, ) and came in with one boot missing, I went out, stood the bike up, and told her to get going... 10 minutes later, the phone rang, she popped the clutch cable en route to work like 5 miles from home.. and convinced some little old lady to let her use the phone... (wayyyyy before we all had cell phones).. so I grabbed the "vice grips", jumped in my El Camino, and set off to "find her"... gave her my truck... (now she looked really dumb, dressed in "leather girl/biker mode") and off she went, while I did the old "vice grip cable wrap and clamp/manual pull thing-a-ma-jigger" to get the bike home.. ahhh great memories..

I think in the dozen or so "broken clutch cables" I've had, that was the best of them, tieing a cable end to a stick, reversing a cable to use, pliers and cursing mode many times... all worked out ok.. oh, and "pop top" (old time ring pull cans) on a broken throttle cable were utilized many times also, as were sticks, and even discarded chicken bones found on the roadside, to make a "puller/Tee" handle..

Offline jim-d

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 03:01:01 PM »
Ugh!
Got the whole thing back together.  Turned on the prime and there is gas in the air box.  The left end boot is full of gas.  The other 3 are dry.  It is just running out when on prime, shuts off otherwise.  I was so careful.

It is such a chore getting the carbs out.  Should go easier this time but to,say I’m discouraged is understating the situation.  I only have so many weekends for this project and now I’m over budget :)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 06:59:53 PM »
bummer dude... but practice does improve the "time factor" ( and I've "practiced" a lot...)

I feel for ya, but some steps should always be addressed when doing this stuff... like making sure to REPLACE those float needles...(I assume you installed the existing ones...), and also before "buttoning everything up, doing a "float level inspection" using a remote (lawn mower) tank, to insure the float level is correct, and needles shut off flow properly...

keep at it, you'll get it done, and will feel better knowing what to look out for in future dives into them.

Offline jim-d

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 04:42:53 AM »
Been thinking about that all night.  If I had just done the bench test.
Now I should pull the plugs, turn the engine and see if any gas splurges out of the cylinders.

Left a note for the carb guru.  May be taking the easy way out on this one.  Ego is saying just one little glitch to fix.  Brain is saying I’m not doing this 3 more times.