Author Topic: Looking for a project bike.  (Read 8175 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Looking for a project bike.
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2019, 04:26:07 PM »
the schematic he needs is attached below.. needs to be downloaded, in order to blow it up enough to read.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

gpineau

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2019, 07:56:33 PM »
Thanks. guys,I understand.

I have schematics for all the models and I can see the differences between the 99 Dash I have and the 86 harness I bought off ebay. I can move some wires around and make it work or get a dash that matches the harness.

There is one connector that I will need to change from 3 pin to 4 pin. I have matching connectors in my parts box. 

As a last resort I found a compatible dash for $39.

Thanks again for the help. I was lost looking for something to plug the flasher relay into !

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2019, 01:08:15 AM »
Boomer, what model is the schematic you attached? Euro post '94 ?
it isn't a USA model, as seen by the "city Light", the headlight switch that allows light to be turned off, and the "passing light switch"...

Not sure how much that is gonna help him, there appears to be a few differences, especially with the headlight system on a USA version "  PRE -'94 " bike...

also I think Guy's simplified schema, is post '94 also...

He installed an '86 wire harness, which will not directly mate up with a '99 gauge cluster either...(not to mention the '99 cluster won't mount in an '86 fairing)
The addition of the "emergency headlight system" on pre '94 models adds even more issues when trying to "counteract/remove' that particular device. (i.e. it can't be taken out of the circuit without compensation.)

Hi Rich, I believe my wiring diagram is for the "Other than USA & Canada" 86-93 model since that is what I have (89).
In my Service Manual, it's the only wiring diagram in colour so it's the one I "merged" so I don't have to try to read across 2 pages.
No, it won't be exactly like the US one, but it's easy enough to see the differences and you forgot to mention the front running lights in the turn-signals, which we don't have in the RotW (Rest of the World) either  :thumbs:

I mostly use Guys diagram to know what is what inside the J-Box, although that is also slightly different for the RotW bikes and between 86-93 and 94+.  ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

gpineau

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2019, 05:15:09 PM »
Got around to un-boxing the sub-harness for the headlights. Screwed again. They sent the wrong harness.  This one is for a 94 and I need an 86 harness. I could cut it up and make it work but why should I? I paid for an 86 sub-harness and they sent the wrong one so I am sending it back.

So I hope to have a replacement next week.
Meanwhile I removed the Air/exhaust valves on top of the valve cover and plugged the holes.  I was going to get some coil-on-plugs but wow they are expensive. Ditched the stock coils. That was to make room for my new smart coils. They look really cool bolted to the top of the engine and a lot less expensive than the cops.

I had stored the gas tank outside in a garbage bag but the sun baked it. The bag fell apart now the nice shiny tank is covered with rust spots. I will re-sand it and give it primer coat to keep it safe until I decide what color it is going to be. I have some Yamaha silver that looked real nice on the majesty 400 that i used to have.

I really want to go for a ride down to the DMV and get the inspection but I must make it street legal first. The sheriff will check all factory accessories and the VIN number an it all has to be in working order before I can tag it.

Getting expensive but I'm enjoying tinkering. Have not tallied the money I've spent on this but I hope my wife does not find out.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 08:33:41 PM by gpineau »

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2019, 07:14:37 PM »
I agree. Momma's not going to be impressed...
On the other hand; to me,,, all looks good so far.

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2019, 03:26:57 PM »
WARNING. do not buy the cheap Chinese headlight like I did. The bulb burned out in 5 minutes, the size is weird and I couldn't find anything at the parts store the same size. Also the front turn signals do not come with running lights only for turn signals.

Finally got the correct sub harness for the front end. Nearly street legal now. The front running lights, turn signals and headlights works. Still need tail lights and turn signals for the rear.
 So I tossed all of it in the trash and went and robbed my Honda Magna for headlights and front turn signals.

I am staying away from Chinese websites for a while.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2019, 05:38:07 AM »
Thaks for sharing that.
It's a good learning for others.

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2019, 03:10:03 PM »
I was ready to paint and install the tank. Darn-it. Last spring I had this tank polished to a mirror finish. I stored it away in a trash bag. I was going to paint it today but...The Sun destroyed the trash bag and now it is covered in rust. Itried CLR and a buffing pad but the rust is too thick. I had to resort to a wire brush.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2019, 10:07:17 AM »
Oh noooooo..

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2019, 02:13:40 PM »
Bare steel will rust unless yer in the desert. Even then, it does rain occasionally even in the desert.
If leaving it bare when storing it, ya need to coat it with oil, pack it away carefully, and maybe seal a dehumidifier pack in with it. Better yet, hit it with etch primer and a couple of coats of grey primer before storing it.  ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2019, 02:53:03 PM »
a comedy of errors, based on poor planning, and very substantial lack of diligence, really becomes a point where you have to go "what next?"..
I don't think I would have stored a bare metal gas tank, in a sealed garbage bag, in some environment that would have the bag deteriorate within less than a year ; Like outdoors... (the local dumps say this stuff never rots..yeah, it does.. ), let alone not adding a couple bags $total 3$ of white rice to absorb moisture, and hung it inside somewhere.. and prevent rusting.. after stripping the tank to "bare", a 20 minute expense of time, and a $4 can of primer, would have prevented this all...  I realize we are not all "wizards" when it comes to this stuff, but by the same token, it becomes hard to feel sorry for someone, when they really don't use good judgement.
I guess most of us that engage/do this for a hobby, take a few more precautions, as poor decisions result in major complaining from spouses.. and God knows, we NEVER want to hear that from them.... bt/dt/

sorry to hear about your misfortune, I think you may learn from the experience.. after you re-sand and re-prep the tank, again.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2019, 04:17:17 PM »
Looks industrial...could of just clear coated it.

gpineau

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2019, 08:38:20 AM »
Well thanks for all the praise and suggestions. I knew the right way to handle this and the proper thing to do would have been to hit it with primer right away.

Man Of Blues,  Nothing to do with good judgement. When your sister calls in the middle afternoon and says "Mom has fallen and broken her hip. The doctor has put her in hospice. You need to get here now. " 

There's no time to waste picking out paint let alone time to prime, paint and clear coat. So it went into a trash bag and I caught the next plane to Oklahoma. Spent the next 3 weeks watching my poor mother die.  I abandoned the entire project after mom died and just recently decided to restart it.  Thank you all for your sincere (tongue in cheek)  concern and compassion.   

gpineau

« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2019, 08:42:09 AM »
It's got some orange peal in the clear coat. I will let it harden a few days then wet sand and polish. I think it was a little overkill for a 30 year old bike but if I'm going to do it I might as well take my time and make it look good. 

https://youtu.be/qGK_KGePtn0

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2019, 05:52:56 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the final results.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2019, 06:08:50 PM »
looked at the vid, read about your paint, and adhere to the flash and hardening times for it...clear coat within those time frames, again adhering to the flash time, and re-coat times.
wet sanding flaked paint is a gamble, and may not lead to optimum results.. clear coats, like 4 or 6 of them, will give you something that can be sanded, and not ruin the flake aspect..  don't get agressive, start high in the grit count, and lower if needed.. don't go below 600G on a color coat... I've done a lot of metallic paint, and even flip=flop paints.. the clear coats are needed to build....'

gpineau

« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2019, 06:45:30 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

All done. I burned through the clear coat in a couple places but you have to hunt to find them. I make a few mistakes but in my eyes it looks marvelous. In fact it looks a bit out of place on this bike.

Have a look.  https://motostuff.shutterfly.com/pictures

« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 03:43:45 AM by gpineau »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2019, 07:54:01 PM »
Excellent!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2019, 03:13:00 AM »
Nice  :thumbs:
Black is a difficult colour to get looking perfect.
That's why I chose Lime Green for my respray and the finish is nowhere near as good as yours.
For those who cannot see the images try this link  https://motostuff.shutterfly.com/pictures as the final character causes an error when I click your link.
Looking forward to seeing the assembled bike.  :popcorn:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

gpineau

« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2019, 03:54:27 AM »
Nice  :thumbs:
Black is a difficult colour to get looking perfect.
That's why I chose Lime Green for my respray and the finish is nowhere near as good as yours.

Looking forward to seeing the assembled bike.  :popcorn:

Me too! I would like to see it assembled. Just too many other things that keep me busy. I had the last 3 days all to myself to work on it.   I keep saying "in a couple weeks" but that was several weeks ago. I do wish I had the side fairings. It looks funny all naked like that and the tail is bobbed to boot. I hate to buy used off ebay cause I don't know what is compatible from year to year.