Author Topic: ECU reflash vs PCV?? - NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE  (Read 6548 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
ECU reflash vs PCV?? - NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE
« on: July 23, 2012, 08:35:49 PM »
Hey you guys with KTRAC, what are the advantages/disadvantages of reflashing the ECU vs doing a PCV??  ??? :-\

Gumbi just bought a full system for his 2011, we were talking tonight and I'm trying to help flush out the difference... ??

I have a PCV, but I also have an 09 which doesn't have KTRAC, so I just did the PCV and pulled the flies... But it's a little different for Gumbi's 11 model with KTRAC...

Please help, thanks!  :chugbeer:

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
Re: ECU reflash vs PCV?? - NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 08:49:10 PM »
Hey you guys with KTRAC, what are the advantages/disadvantages of reflashing the ECU vs doing a PCV??  ??? :-\

Gumbi just bought a full system for his 2011, we were talking tonight and I'm trying to help flush out the difference... ??

I have a PCV, but I also have an 09 which doesn't have KTRAC, so I just did the PCV and pulled the flies... But it's a little different for Gumbi's 11 model with KTRAC...

Please help, thanks!  :chugbeer:

I've given this a lot of thought, and here's where I'm at.

If I were to go with the PCV, then I'll want the auto-tune add on w/ the O2 sensor.  I don't like relying on other to create maps for me, or the trial and error process of getting them right.  A closed loop system is the only way to go.  Pulling the flies would adversely affect KTRC.

If I were to do a reflash, I want the tools and the code (map info) to do it myself.  Again, I don't like relying on others to "get it right".  Plus, I would want to do some other tweaking in the code for sure.  Even with this, I would probably add a O2 sensor just for feedback.

So, given my criteria, PCV is the only option at the moment.  However, there are plenty of folks that have reflashed their ECUs and claim to be happy. 

Do they even have a reflash option for the 2011 w/ a Muzzy dual, and a air filter?
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Cuda

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
I ride on wet roads A LOT  and  I love the way it stops the spin . One of the reasons I bought the Connie.
Lets face it this bike has LOTS of power stock and unless your drag racing at the track and need that extra .10 of a second  I  believe in keeping it SIMPLE  . I also like to ride in ECO mode  (cheap A$$)  ;D
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 09:36:38 PM »
I ride on wet roads A LOT  and  I love the way it stops the spin . One of the reasons I bought the Connie.
Lets face it this bike has LOTS of power stock and unless your drag racing at the track and need that extra .10 of a second  I  believe in keeping it SIMPLE  . I also like to ride in ECO mode  (cheap A$$)  ;D

Well, it's past 8:30 now Cuda, so I'm already 10 beers into the night brutha, can you be more specific??  ???

So are you saying ECU reflash or PCV??

I believe both options will still keep his KTRAC functioning as designed right?  :-\

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 10:27:37 PM »
I  believe in keeping it SIMPLE .

On my other thread you put:

I put a ZX header with out CATs  dual 2 Brothers and it was FINE don't waste your money like ZG :o
You will NEED ear plugs though .
Are you saying you did not do anything above and beyond adding dual exhaust? If so, do you have any backfiring on decel? And did it change your gas mileage much?

I don't mind ear plugs. That is almost one of the reasons I bought these cause my AreaP started quieting down after about 1,200 miles. Odd huh?

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 10:29:38 PM »
I'm already 10 beers into the night brutha
Pick up the pace....... 8)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 10:45:31 PM »
Pick up the pace....... 8)

Sorry, I don't have 3 kegerators like you... CC&R's are a little different on Bull Mountain vs North Plains...  ;)   :chugbeer:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 03:49:59 AM »
Ideally with traction control, which does use the secondaries, I would spend your money to have Guhl Motors reflash the ECU to open the flies sooner. I would also install a PC5 w/autotune to trim the baseline map installed at the reflash. I would then schedule some dyno time to tweak it to perfection. This is probably overkill and somewhat pricey but keep in mind I'm spending your money. :)

Offline Cuda

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 04:35:31 AM »
It's been 15 years since I've had 10 beers in one day. ;) lots of water and diet coke.
I like the Guhl reflash , it keeps the eco mode and keeps  the secondary flys for better traction control, smooooooth .
Yes I first put the pipes on with no reflash and had NO problems, you must close that hose in the air box to help with the poping sound on downshifting, though I kind of liked it :)
No hesatation what so ever.
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 06:41:26 AM »
No flies and PC5 works fine with traction control.  The only way you really know Ktrac kicked in is seeing the light flashing.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 09:11:53 AM »
I've given this a lot of thought, and here's where I'm at.

If I were to go with the PCV, then I'll want the auto-tune add on w/ the O2 sensor.  I don't like relying on other to create maps for me, or the trial and error process of getting them right.  A closed loop system is the only way to go.  Pulling the flies would adversely affect KTRC.

If I were to do a reflash, I want the tools and the code (map info) to do it myself.  Again, I don't like relying on others to "get it right". Plus, I would want to do some other tweaking in the code for sure.  Even with this, I would probably add a O2 sensor just for feedback.

So, given my criteria, PCV is the only option at the moment.  However, there are plenty of folks that have reflashed their ECUs and claim to be happy. 

Do they even have a reflash option for the 2011 w/ a Muzzy dual, and a air filter?

I'm with you, its hard for me to trust a canned map or reflash in comparison to a 02 sensor and PC-V adjusting in real time
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 01:35:53 PM »
It's been 15 years since I've had 10 beers in one day. ;)

:o    Interesting, it's been 15 years since I haven't...  ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 02:57:12 PM »
No flies and PC5 works fine with traction control.

I believe we discussed this at length in another thread a while ago.  The traction control *does* use the secondary butterflies, but only as part of the strategy.  So if you disable the flies, it should theoretically make the traction control less effective, but it doesn't totally ruin it (according to what I remember from other posts).

The only way you really know Ktrac kicked in is seeing the light flashing.

The light will flash when it has sensed a loss of traction and is trying to correct the problem.  But that doesn't mean it *can* correct it well if something it relies on is disabled.  Even if it has zero control to correct the slip, it will eventually be corrected and the light go out; and that usually all happens pretty quickly.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 03:34:13 PM »
But that doesn't mean it *can* correct it well if something it relies on is disabled. 

And yet it does.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 04:43:07 AM »
I'm with you, its hard for me to trust a canned map or reflash in comparison to a 02 sensor and PC-V adjusting in real time

So Steve this is what you did on your bike?
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Fretka

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 01:57:11 PM »
My beast does not have TC but if I can make an educated guess, the strategy TC uses to maintain traction PROBABLY is:

First action: retard timing (fast and effective to a greater degree).
Second action: lean out intake charge (both might be used in conjunction).
Third action: close flies (last resort and only used when above does not produce required parameters).

The first 2 actions are more seamless.

This last takes somewhat longer time to enact and produces a large "felt" response. Hence its use as a last ditch command.
This explains why loss of fly manipulation still results in an effective TC response.
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline KaTieM505

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 02:49:26 PM »
Okay,
I am sitting on a full Area P exhaust, PCv and BMC filter. I do not want to sacrifice the Traction Control.

After those of you that have removed the flies and installed the Power Commander and most importantly, put a few miles on your bike, what is your oval experience with this setup.

Thank you for your time to respond.
Randy