Author Topic: Tokico 4-pots on '94-'06 Concours?  (Read 2692 times)

Offline Centex

• Arena
    • Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
Tokico 4-pots on '94-'06 Concours?
« on: May 31, 2011, 10:45:07 AM »
Hoping for a reply from someone running Shaun's adaptor with Tokico 4-pots on their '94-'06 with stock 300mm rotors ....

I just got some Tokico's & HH pads to play with, considering making my own one-off adaptor since Shaun is off the market.  I was not planning on changing rotors ("was" may be the key word).  I've encountered a situation that I didn't expect based on any of the posts / FAQs I read about this mod   :o :

The OEM caliper / pad friction material is 28mm wide (measured radial), so the stock rotor braking-surface is matched to that.

The stock Tokico pads and the EBC HH's have 33 mm wide friction surfaces, so they need a braking-surface about 34mm wide.

With your Tokicos on stock rotors do you:
1. let the pad overlap the outside edge of the disk, running it on and beyond the beveled edge of the disk?
2. let the pad lap onto and grind the the disk inside of the original pad path?
3. grind the pad friction material that is too wide off of the backing plate, making the pad fit the rotor braking-surface?

If "3" ... is the pad centered on the rotor path so you have to grind off material symetrically on both the top and bottom of the pad.

"1" and/or "2" are not gonna happen on my brakes.  "3" sounds like a PITA and difficult to do very precisely.

Is anyone running a rotor of any diameter that has the correct braking-surface width for the Tokico 4-pots and if so, what rotor is that?

Geez ... anyone seen a deal on a complete zrx front-end?  :-\
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Offline GF-in-CA

Re: Tokico 4-pots on '94-'06 Concours?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 01:26:02 PM »
Alan,

I know some of Shaun's early adapters were made so that they were like your option 1, that is, the pad surface extended outside the rotor.  I've heard of some people using 310 mm rotors to account for this.  I am running the GSXR calipers on my ZX9 front end with 320 mm rotors, and as you can see from the photos, they match perfectly, with no pad surface outside the chamfer on the rotor, and still some meat left on the inner bearing surface of the rotor.  If you are going to make your own and use non-stock rotors, I recommend the 320 mm over the 310 mm, since they are more plentiful (and thus cheaper) used.  EDIT:  Both the 320 mm and 310 mm rotors from the correct application will bolt directly to the C10 wheel.  If you need application data for the rotors, let me know.

HTH,
Gary F.
1998 C10
California North State

Offline Bmcush

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 03:07:47 PM »
FWIW

I've got shauns brackets with Nissin calipers

What I do is let the pads bed in then about 3 to 5K miles later pull the pads and grind of the overlap as it appears.  For sure a PITA but its worth it having better brakes.  Had I new about the better fitment of the larger rotors with the Nissin pads I would've picked up a spare set of those instead of the OEM size 8)

Offline Cybercraig

• Sprayboy-Services
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 11:03:41 PM »
I'm in the same spot Gary is. I've got a couple of sets of 320mm rotors. I'm going to try a set for fit before I glom on the ZRX front end. It looks like my ZRX rotors at 310mm would be a perfect fit, but, the 320's might clear. I'll let ya know.  ;)
'98 becoming more farkled up by the minute.

R.I.P. Steve Earl  "Mr. FJR"