Author Topic: Engine overhaul  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Engine overhaul
« on: January 05, 2021, 04:59:30 AM »
Happy New Year all.

Over the Xmas break I finally started to dig into Otto's original 182k mile engine.
Otto is currently running Sanji's original (86) engine following a rebuild after 140k miles (currently around 159k).
I swapped the engine out about 5 years ago because the original was down on power and would "clunk" and stumble every so often on idle, sometimes causing it to stall.

So, after top end tear down this is what the engine looks like.
Ignore the oil on the valves. When I removed the engine I removed the spark plugs and sprayed oil in the bores and turned the engine over a few times to spread it around.
It looks like I'll need to the get the bores honed (or do it myself) but otherwise it should just need a good clean-up, new valve-stem seals, new piston rings, and new gaskets. Once the top end is rebuilt, I'll dig into the bottom end and see what I can find in there, if anything. Not bad for 182k miles. Can't see the original honing marks like I could on Sanji's engine but since I only got this engine at 83k miles I don't know how it was maintained before I bought it.

I'll try and update progress here as it happens.  8)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 06:50:23 AM by Boomer »
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline connie_rider

Re: Engine overhaul
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 07:33:50 AM »
Thanx Boomer. I'll be watching...
If you mic the cylinders, let us know how much their worn?

PS: Did you do a hydrolock test before you pulled the head?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 10:15:41 AM »
Yes, all 4 cylinders peak at the same point so if it's bent a rod, it's bent all 4 equally. <LOL>
When I strip the lower half, I can look at the conrods directly and see for myself.  ;D
I hope to borrow a bore gauge from a friend and check out the bores before I hone them or get them honed.
With a vernier they all seem to be under 74mm which is good but that's rather imprecise.

Gonna be a couple of weeks before the new rings arrive from Japan.
Found a new set for all 4 cylinders for 55UKP delivered.
From UK Kawa dealers they are 45UKP per piston!!!
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 03:13:26 AM »
Bores all measured with bore gauge at 74mm +/- 0.02mm so all good on that front.
Ran a honing tool in each bore and remeasured but no change.  :thumbs:
New rings fitted to the pistons but can't fit the cylinder back on as need a piston ring compressor tool (arriving this week).
When I did Sanji's motor they slipped in thanks to the taper at the bottom of the sleeves, but not this time.
Lapped all 16 valves in and only needed the fine grinding paste. All look good and seal perfectly.
Most of the intake valves had gunge on them (see pic) that had to be cleaned off, and I also de-carbonised the face of the valves.
I suspect that gunge was burned oil but was planning on fitting new valve stem oil seals anyways and have done.
So, all valves refitted, and yes I did drop several of the valve collets, but bright lights and magnets meant I found them again.  ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 07:35:26 AM »
 :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Was that intake valves? if so, it's mostly petrol on hot valves forming the carbon.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline kkja13

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 07:42:56 AM »
Thanks for the update...following along.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 09:21:55 AM »
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Was that intake valves? if so, it's mostly petrol on hot valves forming the carbon.

Ride safe, Ted
Yes, all of the intake valves, although less on cyl #1 than the other 3. In that case that's what 182k miles will do to your valves.  ;D
The engine was down on compression (120-145-145-160 psi) with an adherent loss of power so I suspected either valves or rings but oiling the bores didn't cause any change in compression ratios and the rings and bores were all as they should be so I suspected the valves. However, the valves were all pretty good except for this gunge on the rear face. I guess we'll see how it is after the rebuild. Now they've all been cleaned and lapped they should seal good. I paid special attention to #1 as it was the lowest compression and had the cleanest intake valve.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 02:30:47 AM »
No pics from this weekend but the top end is mostly back together. Getting the pistons with new rings fitted into the bores was PITA even with a set of "motorcycle" ring compressors. Next time I'll just do what I did this time, which was to go to a local hardware store and buy four 60mm-80mm jubilee clips and use those to compress the rings. Those, along with some rubber mallet action saw the cylinder block seated without damaging the new base gasket.  8)

The head went on pretty easily with a new head gasket but I ended up having to install/remove the cams 3 times before I finally got the timing set correctly. Next time, I'll remember to fit the cam chain tensioner and fully tension the chain before tightening down the cam-caps.  ::)
I'll also try to remember Steve Sefsick's (SiSF/Shoodaben) idea and paint some nail varnish on the camchain rivets and on the sprockets BEFORE I disassemble the top end. If you ever come to do the camshaft timing on one of these engines, if it doesn't look right, IT ISN'T!

Next up was a compression test and I must have done something right as we now have 185-184-182-185 psi. This is after a hone, with new rings and the valves lapped, so once she is broken in I would expect that to rise to around 190 across the board so the top end is mostly complete.

I have some rubber seals for the coolant logs and the side cover gaskets on order but the next order of business is the bottom end so once the valves have been adjusted just so, and the rocker cover is refitted she is getting flipped and the crankcase split in half so I can inspect the crank, big-end and the gearbox.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 07:02:45 AM »
Well done!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Stasch

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 04:07:41 PM »
I had to look up what a jubilee clip clip was - we call 'em hose or band clamps over here.

That's what I had to use as well.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 07:06:19 AM »
Just bought a BRAND NEW set of C10 carbs (UK spec with de-icer circuit) for under $270 delivered.  ;D :banana
Came with all the hoses, clips, and filter housing for the de-icer circuit, a brand new rear coolant log, and a brand new elbow pipe that bolts into the water pump.
Looks like I might be building a nekkid C10,..... finally!!  :rotflmao:
Now just need to get on with the engine rebuild.

Too cold to work in the garage this weekend.
I spent 45 mins putting up a new 6ft LED light above my workbench and by the time I was done my hands were numb, even with the heater going, so I gave up and went back indoors.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 07:30:24 PM »
That's on my list of plans to do is to insulate the garage and then put in one of those mini-heatpumps that you mount on the wall.  I've got things to do in the garage but it's just to dam cold in there and in the summer it's too dam hot.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 03:41:53 AM »
Just bought a BRAND NEW set of C10 carbs (UK spec with de-icer circuit) for under $270 delivered.  ;D :banana
Came with all the hoses, clips, and filter housing for the de-icer circuit, a brand new rear coolant log, and a brand new elbow pipe that bolts into the water pump.
Looks like I might be building a nekkid C10,..... finally!!  :rotflmao:
Now just need to get on with the engine rebuild.

Too cold to work in the garage this weekend.
I spent 45 mins putting up a new 6ft LED light above my workbench and by the time I was done my hands were numb, even with the heater going, so I gave up and went back indoors.

Just fitted 5 foot LED lights in my garage to replace some crappy Tubes ... the difference is amazing   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

gpineau

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 07:46:57 AM »
Just fitted 5 foot LED lights in my garage to replace some crappy Tubes ... the difference is amazing 

Replaced all my garage lights with LED. Super bright and amazing.

My garage door remote range dropped from 200 feet to 10 feet.  I researched it and found that the LED lights are PWM controlled and the frequency is in the same range as US garage door remotes.

I put RFI filters everywhere and it improved but still the distance of the remote is not near what it used to be.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 09:15:50 AM by gpineau »

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2021, 07:54:51 AM »
i have 14 4' leds in the garage. its like daylight in there.  8) also painted the whole garage in commercial semi gloss bright white.
I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2021, 05:03:31 PM »
Yep, did the LED thing too 3 years ago when there was ZERO light in the garage. The previous owner allowed the bulbs to burn out and didn't even bother to replace them. WTF?

I still need a flashlight or spotlight to look at stuff, especially underneath the bike -- like when I drop a bolt or a nut.  ::)
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2021, 11:07:07 AM »
Suggestion; Cheapo light for under the bike.
I bought several of the battery powered light's that look like a light-switch at Harbor freight...
They are a Brite/White LED light..

Work fine, last a long time, and EZ to place where you need them.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline kkja13

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2021, 06:24:45 AM »
I really like wearing an LED headlamp, which puts the light right where I need it most.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2021, 03:36:14 PM »
+1 on LED headlamps, I must have a dozen or so, in the shop, in the truck, backpacks, motorcycle bags, etc.  Spent $40 on absolute crap unit at big-name outdoor gear store.  Failed soon.  Then got these at Costco, but they may be available elsewhere. 

https://www.costco.com/duracell-550-lumen-3-pack-headlamp-.product.100681259.html

Also got at Costco, but other places carry these, 3-pack work-lights use AA batteries, last fair amount of time, and put out a TON of light,

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Duracell-3-LED-600-Lumens-Work-Lights-9-AA-Batteries-Included/649650245?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222355036859&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=74766919156384&wl4=pla-4578366457094922&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&%20wl10=Walmart&wl12=649650245_10000007494&wl14=costco%20druacell%20portable%20LED%20worklights&veh=sem&msclkid=b4eef7dbe0eb165a21c297ea6d211e3a
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.