Author Topic: My Connie of 10 years totaled.(new bike update last post)  (Read 28008 times)

Offline jamiemac

Re: My Connie of 10 years totaled. Sad biker. I'm in pretty good shape.
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2018, 02:04:29 PM »
Are you in a cast? Any surgery for the scapula?

Brian

No cast! Can You believe that?! I wore a sling for a few days, but have shed it. The physical therapy place is only working on my knee for now, but the scapula, isn't fractured very severely. I'm using my left arm very gingerly.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2018, 02:05:49 PM »
I updated the original post to be a little more informative.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2018, 02:09:54 PM »
Cracked chin guard on the Scorpion helmet.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2018, 02:24:57 PM »
Excellent! That sounds like a much better prognosis than mine. Then again, I may be being overly pessimistic. My suggestion would be to be kind to that bone for a while and hopefully you will get an X-ray that shows a solid, nice knit- line down the fracture.

Also glad you saw it coming and did what you could to avoid or minimize the collision. While it is always the person who turn left in front of a straight- line traveler's fault, the person being cut- off can often do a lot to avoid or minimize damage from accidents. Put another way, the 'innocent' party is not free from participating.

Just because you may have a green light, it is not a force- field that will keep everyone away from you. So my compliments on reacting as you did and for simply paying attention; it sounds like more speed may well have caused you far greater injuries.... or worse. :-(

Brian

No cast! Can You believe that?! I wore a sling for a few days, but have shed it. The physical therapy place is only working on my knee for now, but the scapula, isn't fractured very severely. I'm using my left arm very gingerly.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2018, 02:34:59 PM »
Excellent! That sounds like a much better prognosis than mine. Then again, I may be being overly pessimistic. My suggestion would be to be kind to that bone for a while and hopefully you will get an X-ray that shows a solid, nice knit- line down the fracture.

Also glad you saw it coming and did what you could to avoid or minimize the collision. While it is always the person who turn left in front of a straight- line traveler's fault, the person being cut- off can often do a lot to avoid or minimize damage from accidents. Put another way, the 'innocent' party is not free from participating.

Just because you may have a green light, it is not a force- field that will keep everyone away from you. So my compliments on reacting as you did and for simply paying attention; it sounds like more speed may well have caused you far greater injuries.... or worse. :-(

Brian

I think the antilocks on my scoot really helped me bleed off speed. I'm sure that helped minimize my injuries. A closing speed of 60MPH or so, and I'd have definitely been playing a harp now.

I'm optimistic about the shoulder. It hurts, but is fairly mobile. I'm moving as much as I can stand.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2018, 02:42:25 PM »
Wow! Remember: Whatever doesn't kill you ... provides you a good story to tell  :thumbs:

Now, was your attacker a texter, an oldster, a teen ... or somehow an unavoidable accident?  ???

Hey ... and, maybe too soon to even think about, but look at this in the For Sale section: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=23409.0

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2018, 02:48:58 PM »
Wow! Remember: Whatever doesn't kill you ... provides you a good story to tell  :thumbs:

Now, was your attacker a texter, an oldster, a teen ... or somehow an unavoidable accident?  ???

Hey ... and, maybe too soon to even think about, but look at this in the For Sale section: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=23409.0
The report doesn't say anything about inattentive driving, but the other guy, (dob 1974) admitted to not seeing me. Now my connie was lit up like a ufo, (see pic) and my riding jacket could be seen from the moon. So I'm not totally buying that he wasn't texting or something, but it ain't in the report.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2018, 02:52:14 PM »
Glad to see you are okay. Scary.
Joel from Maine.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2018, 02:55:28 PM »
Glad to see you are okay. Scary.

Thanks, Man. Definitely scary. Be safe out there.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2018, 03:28:39 PM »
Cracked chin guard on the Scorpion helmet.

Yeah, makes you wonder if that would have been your face if you were not wearing a full-face helmet...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2018, 04:21:05 PM »
Yeah, makes you wonder if that would have been your face if you were not wearing a full-face helmet...
I was wondering what type of helmet you were wearing at the time.  I’m glad you had a solid full face helmet.  I road my whole career with an open face helmet and now ride with a modular (Shoei Neotec).  I just hope I never have to test it out like you have because I know they do not offer the same level of protection. 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2018, 04:30:35 PM »
I’m dissappointed to hear that the report didn’t include estimated speeds at impact.  Though, without heavy duty collision reconstruction analysis, science and math, it is near impossible to narrow it down to anything concrete.  At the very least, the investigating officer should get statements from the involved parties/witnesses as to their best recollection and interpretation of their respective speeds prior to impact.  Everything can and will be challenged in civil depositions regardless of how much math and science is involved. 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2018, 05:36:03 PM »
I’m dissappointed to hear that the report didn’t include estimated speeds at impact.  Though, without heavy duty collision reconstruction analysis, science and math, it is near impossible to narrow it down to anything concrete.  At the very least, the investigating officer should get statements from the involved parties/witnesses as to their best recollection and interpretation of their respective speeds prior to impact.  Everything can and will be challenged in civil depositions regardless of how much math and science is involved.

I was actually a traffic accident investigator as an Army MP. This was the 80s, but most of the techniques are the same...except for the introduction of LED lighting. An easy method for determining if the vehicle was, "on the brakes" at impact was to check the brake light bulb filaments for stretching. Lots of stretch, brakes wee on, and wires were hot. No stretch = no brakes applied.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2018, 11:31:04 PM »
No, actually the key word there was 'if'. The surgeon explained that the bone fragments would fill with something, either calcium and knit together, or soft tissue and prevent them from knitting.... ever. At which point he could go back in, enlarge the original graft site and try it again. I noted that word 'try' also and asked outright: is there any way to guarantee a successful result and he basically said no.

Now as Jimmy probably knows, or will find out soon enough, that is the bone that attaches the thumb to the hand and we motorcyclists really, really need that 1) to work 2) to be relatively pain- free and 3) need it to be pretty robust, meaning 'as new' or a well healed bone. We need that paw for the clutch.

I am concerned enough about mine that I have been looking for auto- clutch bikes; did not find any new models other than the already known Fudger A (no longer imported into the US, and used ones are rare) and the Honda 1200F, and there are not many of those around either. Not sure if they still make them and even more unsure that they make the auto clutch model.

And BTW Jimmy, do not get too worked up if they prescribe a 'bone stimulator', it is not what you might be hoping for and there is no evidence (really, none) that they work anyway.

Brian

Haha! Just noticed the, "bone simulator" comment! LOL

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2018, 05:26:26 AM »
Yeah, it has been a huge source of humor around here too- 'Sorry honey, can't do that right now, stimulating my bone' and so forth.

It is an ultrasonic transducer that the manufacturer claims heals bone fractures better / faster / more fully. That said, there is little evidence that it works. My Dr. does not normally prescribe them but in my case, he said he wants to give it every chance possible to heal (again, ominous words IMO). So, twice a day, I strap it on and stimulate away. :-)

It has been tough though- from the day Julie game me the unit and went over its usage: so many, many jokes in there that I could barely graze on. Oh yeah, it comes with a gigantic bottle of lube too (seriously). Anyway, I finally cracked when she said the penetration pattern is about 30 degrees wide and goes 8" deep: I said we could probably line people up and do a 'mass stimulation' if I was not afraid of where my wrist might end up or what it might end up against in the group of people with broken.... stuff.

Brian

Haha! Just noticed the, "bone simulator" comment! LOL
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conniesaki

That whole damn post is EASY BOYS!

I was gonna say, you could save money and have your wife stimulate your bone.

But that's actually probably more expensive. So, carry on.

Offline B.D.F.

Not sure about the costing more- this thing was $2,400 + my co- pay, which is something like $100 or $150. When the medical community goes into action, everyone gets as big a piece of the pie as possible, which is why medical treatment costs 10 times, 20 times what it is worth- they need a big pie.

And my medical insurance rejected the initial claim because I only fit two of the three requirements. The third catagory was being at high risk for not healing and the entire column was a list of habits and behaviors starting from bad and progressing to criminal; smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, drug addiction, etc. ?? So I asked the ins. co. rep. if I was to become addicted to, say, heroin, then they would cover this expense (which was prescribed by the surgeon by the way, this is not my personal choice)? To which she answered 'yes' but not if I became addicted now, I would have had to be an addict at the time of the incident. Right out of the 'Journal of unintended consequences'.

Brian

That whole damn post is EASY BOYS!

I was gonna say, you could save money and have your wife stimulate your bone.

But that's actually probably more expensive. So, carry on.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
Not sure about the costing more- this thing was $2,400 + my co- pay, which is something like $100 or $150. When the medical community goes into action, everyone gets as big a piece of the pie as possible, which is why medical treatment costs 10 times, 20 times what it is worth- they need a big pie.

And my medical insurance rejected the initial claim because I only fit two of the three requirements. The third catagory was being at high risk for not healing and the entire column was a list of habits and behaviors starting from bad and progressing to criminal; smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, drug addiction, etc. ?? So I asked the ins. co. rep. if I was to become addicted to, say, heroin, then they would cover this expense (which was prescribed by the surgeon by the way, this is not my personal choice)? To which she answered 'yes' but not if I became addicted now, I would have had to be an addict at the time of the incident. Right out of the 'Journal of unintended consequences'.

Brian

Makes absolutely perfect, reasonable and logical sense... :banghead:

Offline jamiemac

I was hoping to get outside and strip my accessories off the scooter by today, but still not feeling up to it. The Rostra is going on my Jeep! Possibly the LED lights on my fork legs, too. They're still intact. I did my laundry with mostly one arm, and that kinda sucked. LOL

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
The Rostra is going on my Jeep! Possibly the LED lights on my fork legs, too.

Does that mean no more C14's for you?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc