Author Topic: Getting started with a GPS from Garmin  (Read 17946 times)

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: Getting started with a GPS from Garmin
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 07:01:16 AM »
I don't think a "public" computer would work because you also need a little bit of software to be loaded on to the computer before starting.  That is usually blocked because you are not an "Admin" login.  If you have your own laptop, you could go to a Starbucks, McD, BK or something else and hang out for a while (once a year if all goes well).  All of the ones I go in lately have free internet connections that are pretty fast.  It took my 765T about 2.5 hours last week to update the latest maps and software with a wireless cable connection at home.

As for the roads disappearing, it could be a setting on the GPS.  Make sure you have the road or street detail set to highest if you are zooming out.  It may slow the device down a little bit when panning though.  Other than that, you are at the mercy of the device.  That is why I carry a paper map in an unfamiliar state (they are still free at the welcome centers if you ask).  At least I can sit there and study it if I need to.  I even carry my own state map with me.  Of course I worked for a map company for 25 years ...
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Khrome

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 12:47:51 PM »
I decided to go a little extra and picked up a 3490LMT today.
Khrome 2011 C14...09 Kaw Voyager...08 Yam WR250X...07 Yam FJR...06 Suz M109...04 Yam RoadStar...03 Kaw ZZR 1200... 02Kaw ZRX1200...01 KTM LC4...00 Kaw KLR 650...99 Kaw C10...98 Kaw ZRX 1100...94 Kaw Zephyr 750...85 Kaw 454LTD...79 Honda XL250S

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2011, 07:13:34 AM »
I update my Nuvis  at the public library using my laptop on their free wireless. It takes about an hour and a half. The updates are much larger than the 250 MB daily limit imposed by my home provider, Hughes.net.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 07:37:07 AM »

I've just bought a 1490LMT.  It's got lifetime updates for traffic and maps.  I've decided on that one because it's bluetooth and it  has the larger 5 inch screen (my eyes need all the help they can get and if it talks to me all the better).  Also decided not to get the MC version as I didn't want to pay all the extra money for waterproofing and such.  This will be used in all my vehicles. 
+1 on the non-MC version.  Originally bought a 265WT to replace a TomTom.  The 265WT got wet on one ride and the on-screen keyboard fried.

I bought a 2360LMT because its 4.3 screen fits my RAM mount on my C-10.

BTW, I'm running a Windows 7 64 bit PC.  The software appears to be working fine with that level.
I am running BaseCamp for Mac and for Windows on my work and home computers.

I've got this one strange looking power cord that must be the traffic updater connection. 
Built-in traffic receiver in 2360LMT.

Unintended Consequences:

My LG Wine II phone paired with the 2360LMT just fine.

It will also not talk to my SMH10Midland BT2D unfortunately, either. 

BIG Problem: Trip Planner function in 2360lmt will not read downloaded Routes you create with computer software.  Oh sure, you can create a Route by hand on the 2360lmt, but who wants to do that when Google Maps, MapQuest, and BaseCamp (from Garmin!) can do it better.

I called Garmin tech support and talked to 'Kimberly' in Kansas City, KS on 5/1/12.  She agreed that 2360lmt software on the unit will NOT import Routes.  Period.  I am asking to be part of the developer/beta/testing group to change this 'feature'.  I am not holding my breath on this.

I posted on Garmin's FaceBook page about this feature/problem. Not pleased at all.

Sure you can use the 2360lmt to create and hold 100 Routes, but who cares when you have to do all that work on the built-in 2360lmt keyboard?

after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 01:39:05 PM »
I was trying to share a route wth a friend who has a 2360lmt and the PC would not even recognize it. Was that the case with yours?
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 04:50:59 PM »
I was trying to share a route wth a friend who has a 2360lmt and the PC would not even recognize it. Was that the case with yours?
What I found when using the 2360lmt with any computer, Mac or Windows, is that you cannot get the Nuvi to read a Route file that was not created on the 2360 itself.

So, you can get the file to the Garmin, but you can't make it read it.  :(

That sucks!
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline roadPilot

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 08:21:09 PM »
Obviously, waterproofness isn't the only difference when comparing moto vs. less expensive auto models ...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 06:20:24 AM »
I had something interesting happen to me today as I was checking for updates on my 1490...  Windows 7 wouldn't recognize it....period.  Tried different USB cables...no luck.  Decided to move it to another port and then it recognized it.    I've had that happen before with other USB controlled devices.  Interesting.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.