Author Topic: programing rfid key to start c14  (Read 21118 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: programing rfid key to start c14
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2015, 03:37:43 PM »
What exactly do you have to do to start the bike now?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2015, 03:42:31 PM »
I've had my bike for a bit over 1 month... yep already lost the active FOB.
I went to my friendly Locksmith and took them my passive fob and She made me a copy of my passive FOB
She used a JMA key from a 1999-2004 F150  TPX2FO-150D.P
she told me the blanks weren't cheap but she said she would do this for $40 +tax.  She even trimmed the blade portion off of the key so it's now just a FOB.
I ask and she will do the same for you... to save on shipping I would include a Self  Addressed envelope for the return mail w/insurance)
From my understanding, when you have a key cloned, it doesn't take up one of the limited memory spaces on the KiPass system. Message me if you have questions.

Good info, thanks for posting. Oh and BTW.. WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2015, 04:35:36 PM »
What exactly do you have to do to start the bike now?

With a passive fob?  He has to hold the passive fob on the special place at the 12 O'clock position near the stovepipe key,  then press down the stovepipe key and turn it, then press the starter button.  It is actually very easy, but a bit annoying at first, since you have to get the passive fob at just the right place and there is no indication if it is right or wrong until you press the stovepipe and it either works or doesn't.  With practice, one should be able to do it very quickly every time.

Since the active fobs also contain passive chips too, the procedure is EXACTLY the same for the active fob if the active fob battery is weak or dead, or the active part is defective, or there is some type of unusual, very strong RF interference in the area.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2015, 05:46:18 PM »
I know that, Max.  Just wanted to see if anything is different.  If not, it's just another passive fob in a different incarnation.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sharum

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2015, 09:36:04 PM »
The  fob I had made has the area on it where you can tell where the chip is ... you have to hold this side down  or it won't read just like the factory backup fob. See attachment.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2015, 04:10:26 AM »
Thanks.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2015, 03:22:44 PM »
I know that, Max.

Just answering the question!!

Just wanted to see if anything is different.  If not, it's just another passive fob in a different incarnation.

Yep, nothing new to see, move along... move along...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2015, 03:43:32 PM »
Be carful as you pass...

move along... move along...

Offline coastalcop

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2016, 10:56:08 AM »
Sorry about the Thread resurrection, but I figured another success story was in order.

Took my passive fob to the ACE hardware where they had the Itool  scanning device.

First I explained what I wanted and they looked at me like I was crazy (we cant cut a ford key for a Kawasaki).   after explaining it a couple more times they agreed to put the fob on the detector.

It recognized the fob right away and asked for information.   I told them to list it as a 2004 ford f-150.

I tool gave them a couple of choices and I got a rather expensive Ford key.    Put the Ford key in the detector/writer device and a minute later its done.

Took it back to the house (where my 2011 connie is) left both the active and passive factory fobs in the house and proceeded to the garage with my new "Ford" key.

Placed it up against the KIPASS detector and.........SUCCESS.   It DOES work, allowed me to turn key and start the bike.

If they have the red itool device to detect/write RFID and a key to a FORD f-150, they CAN clone the rfid, you just may have to walk them through it.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2016, 10:56:20 AM »
2 things:

1) I love the idea, but how am I supposed to walk them through it when I don't fully understand it?

2) Is there a PDF that explains the active and passive FOB system and ECU etc?  I have the service manual, is it all in there?  There seems to be a lot of fob knowledge, I would to gain it, not sure how to do that without looking through MANY KIPASS threads.

I ask because I took my bike in last night to get the valve cover leak fixed and stopped halfway there to get gas.  40 mile ride maybe, stopped at 20.  No problems at home, but when I stopped to gas up and check the oil, as soon as I fired up, I got "LOW TRANSPONDER BATTERY".  By the time I got to the town the dealership was in, it was alternating between "Low battery" and "NO transponder", just that quick the freakin battery died!

I didn't want to take it to the dealer with a dead fob battery, I vaguely remembered that it had the passive thing but honestly have no idea if the dealer knew of that.  So I stopped at Walmart and got a new battery, problem solved.

I will be honest, I don't like not understanding something that could potentially strand me 6 states from home.   I know Brian and others love it but they have the full system understanding and using that knowledge, they could recover from various failure scenarios.  I don't, that's why I want to read the system spec or whatever exists.

THANKS!!

EDIT: Google is my friend.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/concours.html
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2016, 11:10:59 AM »
Everything you need to know to operate the bike with a fob that has a dead battery is in the owner's manual and is less than a page long. Very simple really. And a dead fob battery is not really a 'failure' of any kind but an expected condition which Kawasaki provided a very simple way to start and use the bike.

I suggest everyone take a very few minutes, look at the manual (I believe it is available on- line if you do not have the paper version), and learn the very simple step to start your C-14 with a dead fob battery. Once you see how easy it is there is no need to fear it happening at all.

Brian

2 things:

1) I love the idea, but how am I supposed to walk them through it when I don't fully understand it?

2) Is there a PDF that explains the active and passive FOB system and ECU etc?  I have the service manual, is it all in there?  There seems to be a lot of fob knowledge, I would to gain it, not sure how to do that without looking through MANY KIPASS threads.

I ask because I took my bike in last night to get the valve cover leak fixed and stopped halfway there to get gas.  40 mile ride maybe, stopped at 20.  No problems at home, but when I stopped to gas up and check the oil, as soon as I fired up, I got "LOW TRANSPONDER BATTERY".  By the time I got to the town the dealership was in, it was alternating between "Low battery" and "NO transponder", just that quick the freakin battery died!

I didn't want to take it to the dealer with a dead fob battery, I vaguely remembered that it had the passive thing but honestly have no idea if the dealer knew of that.  So I stopped at Walmart and got a new battery, problem solved.

I will be honest, I don't like not understanding something that could potentially strand me 6 states from home.   I know Brian and others love it but they have the full system understanding and using that knowledge, they could recover from various failure scenarios.  I don't, that's why I want to read the system spec or whatever exists.

THANKS!!

EDIT: Google is my friend.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/concours.html
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2016, 11:38:05 AM »
Yeah, I was unnecessarily paranoid last night when the battery was dying, I thought there was a passive method (which I have done with the min/spare fob just to test) but I wasn't 100% sure.  Now I am after googling it and reading various things. I thought it was just an easy way to start the bike, it's actually theft prevention.

Learning the ways of KIPASS, I am.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2016, 03:40:18 PM »
The user's manual is certainly NOT the best written document out there, but it does explain how to use the active FOB as a passive FOB (if the FOB battery is dead).  I suppose it could be more confusing.  So it is safe to say: You will never be stranded due to a battery dying in an active FOB.... unless you forget how to use it as a passive one :)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2016, 04:11:15 PM »
Yeah but the method is so simple that even Japenglish cannot hide its use, at least IMO.

Step 1: remove the key from the fob.
Step 2: hold fob over boss on front of ignition switch housing, putting boss in slot left after removing key.
Step 3: Push key, start bike.
Step 4: Revel in the glory that is KiPass.....

Brian

The user's manual is certainly NOT the best written document out there, but it does explain how to use the active FOB as a passive FOB (if the FOB battery is dead).  I suppose it could be more confusing.  So it is safe to say: You will never be stranded due to a battery dying in an active FOB.... unless you forget how to use it as a passive one :)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com