Author Topic: Linked Brakes Fixed  (Read 71582 times)

Offline connie_rider

Re: Linked Brakes Fixed
« Reply #160 on: August 12, 2018, 07:14:23 PM »
Ok, good plan!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline TAL2013C14

« Reply #161 on: August 20, 2018, 01:41:03 PM »
TAL, the genuine K hose from the series 1 bike to connect the 2 front calipers is NLA (no longer available) I believe.  Use an aftermarket hose with 30-45 degree bends on the banjo ends.  Double banjo bolts and new washers are also readily available.

PS - I ride with BrissyGTR occasionally - he loves the de-linked brakes.

Thanks for the heads-up Freddy!

Offline Cuda

« Reply #162 on: October 01, 2018, 08:42:02 PM »
TAL2013C14 / all, there is an EZ way to defeat the problem with the linked brakes on the earlier systems.
Just don't use the rear brake...…
Because of the link, using the front lever only, applies all the rear brake you need.

It's a simple solution that works perfectly.

Ride safe, Ted

I like you Ted , you're spot on, I use one finger on the front brake downshift hard  and have never had any   issues . 
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #163 on: October 03, 2018, 07:40:51 AM »
Thanks!
I have a simple mind, so I need simple solutions...

Ride safe, Ted

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #164 on: October 17, 2018, 12:13:53 PM »
Maxtog, I think your indicating that you use the rear brake pedal to do Trail braking?
That is a common misconception. {I once thought the same}

Trail braking actually uses the front brake lever...
   Our Linked brakes work fine, but non Linked brakes use the front brake only.
       Watch the video in this discussion...
http://forum.cog-online.org/motorcycle-safety/trail-braking-video/msg645728/#msg645728

Ride safe, Ted

I don't think the linked brakes work fine, and neither do a lot of others.  If you like them, I'm OK with you liking them, but I don't. 

Yes, trail braking uses the front.   Do you know what the separate use of the rear is for?
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #165 on: October 17, 2018, 12:57:09 PM »
I don't think the linked brakes work fine, and neither do a lot of others.  If you like them, I'm OK with you liking them, but I don't. 

Yes, trail braking uses the front.   Do you know what the separate use of the rear is for?

On the Gen 1 bikes, the ABS is separate on both brakes, and I use the rear brake to "back-in" the corners going downhill in the mountain twisties. Leave the gears in 3rd, cram on the rear ABS with no worry of a high side, and the bike 'settles' in to the next corner- very effective when boogying with a fat lady.

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #166 on: November 24, 2018, 03:45:27 PM »
I'm not a fan of these linked brakes because;
I got into a corner a little to fast so I wanted to back-it-in just a little, I applied a little more rear brake but this is not the time to have something unexpected to happen but it did.
I was already carrying a little front brake when I applied a little more rear when the front end dived which as you know it changed the geometry and at the same time my personal exhaust valve change geometry too.
The last thing I wanted/needed at that time was more front brake at that lean angle, it all worked out but it scared the crap out of me.:yikes:
I have owned over 75 motorcycles and been riding since I was 12. I raced for several years but after 15 broken bones and other issues I quit. I don't remember the last time a bike scared me because of some trait that was unique to it.
I also get a slight bump in the rear pedal when stopping some times, does anyone else get this?

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #167 on: November 26, 2018, 10:21:21 AM »

On the C14? Slow speed (parking lot, U-turns etc.) tight turn maneuvering? Still works for this on linked brakes below 12 mph.
.....and I personally use a lot of rear brake on dirt bikes in dirt, especially going down hill.

I try to use both brakes, even though I agree with Ted that just using the front is much simpler and probably equally effective for my skill level, just because I ride other bikes and none of them have linked brakes.
In my advancing years, I no longer trust that my brain won't use the wrong technique for the bike that I'm on at the time. Speaking of brain farts, I'm not even sure if that last sentence is correct,
triple negatives?  :-\

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #168 on: November 26, 2018, 07:55:02 PM »
I really thought the linked brakes were going to bother me more than they have. I keep mine on the less linked setting. After a few rides, you get a feel for how much rear brake you can use before the front kicks in. Only time I really use the rear brake is scrubbing off a little speed entering a curve if I come in a little hotter than expected. That doesn’t happen very often now that I have a better feel for the handling and lean angle limits of the bike. Switching bikes between cruiser / bagger and Concours does mess with your entry speeds some.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline Freddy

« Reply #169 on: November 26, 2018, 10:27:36 PM »
Hi again P.  Good to hear your enjoying your new C14.  Fortunately for you, Kaw revised the calibration of the 'link' rear to front on your model, reducing, if not eliminating, the unsettling effect Gabriel experienced. 
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #170 on: November 29, 2018, 10:35:37 AM »
On the C14? Slow speed (parking lot, U-turns etc.) tight turn maneuvering? Still works for this on linked brakes below 12 mph.
.....and I personally use a lot of rear brake on dirt bikes in dirt, especially going down hill.

Another use is to tighten your line if you're running just a bit wide due to too much speed or the corner tightening up unexpectedly.  The front would help also, but at that moment,  I don't want more fork dive, because that decreases the fork angle (which tightens the steering a bit and lowers the front of the bike)  and more importantly (to me, anyway) puts more weight on the front when you may already have a lot on it and don't want to add more.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline BrissyGTR

« Reply #171 on: December 02, 2018, 12:31:40 AM »
Check out this mod Gabriel for unlinking the GEN2 brakes. It is only recommended IF you are confident at working on braking systems.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13655.msg271927#msg271927

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #172 on: January 27, 2019, 06:42:07 PM »
Check out this mod Gabriel for unlinking the GEN2 brakes. It is only recommended IF you are confident at working on braking systems.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13655.msg271927#msg271927
Oddly I was never notified about your post?
This looks like the simplest solution.
Thanks
; I have to assume that this decouples the linked system from the rear to the front and from the front to the rear.
I have not looked at how the ABS pump distributes it's pressures so I'm going to assume it's down the same line. (coming and going)
Does this make sense?

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #173 on: January 27, 2019, 07:01:42 PM »
Was there a part number list for this mod?
Thanks

Offline Freddy

« Reply #174 on: January 27, 2019, 11:46:55 PM »
This (my) set up (in reply 136 in the link above) removes the R to F link but retains the F to R link.

For those that are uncomfortable using the nut-bolt-washers-&-tape method I initially showed to terminate the displaced hose, I posted a pic of an improved way to do so.  That particular hose was from a wrecked bike.  It is used on the 1400 ABS unit.

http://www.kawasakionlineparts.com.au/partFinder/fiche/kawasaki/2009/zg1400-1400gtr/brake-piping#ficheZone

It is also shown in the 2nd pic of the very first post by the OP of this thread:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=13655.0;attach=15486

The cross-over hose from L to R caliper should be from the earlier series 1 bike with ABS or if that's NLA, from later ZX14 bikes with ABS.  Note that this cross-over hose from ABS bikes is a different part number to non-ABS bikes and priced accordingly, apparently due to higher spec.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 05:53:42 AM by Freddy »

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #175 on: January 28, 2019, 04:09:43 AM »
I saw your earlier post.
I will be glad to just dump the rear to front connection.
Thanks for your effort.
Is the hose part number 43095D? Hard to tell in some of these diagrams?

Offline Freddy

« Reply #176 on: January 28, 2019, 04:42:53 AM »
43095-0219 or 43095-0220 

One hose is about 25mm longer than the other, which is immaterial.

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #177 on: January 28, 2019, 07:59:04 AM »
43095-0219 or 43095-0220 

One hose is about 25mm longer than the other, which is immaterial.
Thanks

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #178 on: January 28, 2019, 08:10:15 AM »

EDIT: I've not been 100% happy with the method I used to block the displaced hose.  Having given more thought to it and scratching about in my tub of left-over bit from other jobs I came up with this short hose fitted with a 10x1mm plug.  The hose is from a 1400 ABS unit.  In stock form it joins the long steel pipes that run under the tank to the ABS unit - but it's a spare from a wrecked bike.  This short hose with plug will replace the displaced hose which presently runs to the right caliper.  It's necessary to lift the fuel tank to access the front end of the steel pipe to fit the 'block-off' hose. This update gives certainty that no leak will ever develop.  Of the 2 bikes I personally did the 'bolt & tape' block-off to, neither have developed any seepage whatsoever after more than 2 years with that somewhat primitive 'fix.'

How did you bleed that dead ended line?

Offline Freddy

« Reply #179 on: January 28, 2019, 05:27:39 PM »
By loosening the plug, air and fluid will escape past the thread.  When the plug is tightened it seals against the inverted flare within.