Author Topic: Another stab at a Coast to Coast in 50 hours, this time heading east  (Read 33673 times)

Offline rcannon409

Re: Another stab at a Coast to Coast in 50 hours, this time heading east
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2012, 08:08:56 AM »
Brian, if you ever have the time, I'd love to hear the long version of the trip.  I dont think I can comprehend what a persons mind must go through on a journey like this, and It woudl be amazing to hear more.

Glad you back, and safe.  I can imagine what that call to 911 sounded like........."Sir, you have been doing WHAT?"....."Did you say riding your motorcycle for the past 48 hours without sleep?"

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2012, 11:20:41 AM »
They are the best of friends and have never made any movement whatsoever to move apart! It amazed me because there are so many differences, different species, different accents (Kirby originates in the East while Mr. Elkhoof was from the Pacific Northwest), different ages (Kirby is much younger) different diets, etc., etc. But the two of them get along like two frozen peas in a pod- they are nearly inseperable.

Here they are just hanging out:

Here they are leaning against each other for support: (this is also their riding mode, pointed into the wind for less wind resistance)

Raring to go:

Brian

Glad to hear you made it home safely.

So how is Kirby getting along with your new lucky charm?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2012, 11:30:33 AM »
Hey Brian,

What's that on Kurby's leg, he wasn't injured was he?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2012, 11:34:26 AM »
Looks like Kirby got a little dehydrated on the trip too.  ;)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline okxd45

« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2012, 11:42:43 AM »
Glad to hear that Kirby had no issues with jealousy.... ;)  They do seem quite inseparable!
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2012, 11:47:40 AM »
Nah, Kirby is tough.  That is the wrist band that he had to wear to be in the group photo at the Spring Fling. Cap'n Bob said that only banquet guests should be in the photo so Kirby ponied up (pardon that expression) and got hisself a banquet ticket and indentifying wrist band. He was so happy with it that I have not had the heart to take it off of his 'wrist' yet.

Here is Kirby at the Spring Fling enjoying a refreshing cup of Del's lemonade (local drink):

Brian

Hey Brian,

What's that on Kurby's leg, he wasn't injured was he?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2012, 03:42:02 PM »
A few photos taken during the failed legs of the trip:

This is where I get the Atlantic water at the start of the ride, Kirby Lane in Rye, NY <chuckle>:

This was about the half- way point of the ride west when I bailed out- I got caught in the storm while fueling and moved the bike up to this overhang in front of a closed restaurant to wait it out:

The storm was kinda' nasty and it wasn't in any particular hurry to clear, the rain was heavy but what actually stopped me was the gigantic hail that I did not think I could ride through at highway speeds:

This is Chet and I at the Pacific at the start of the ride back. I know it is off center but I put the camera in my top box and wedged it against some stuff:

I am still trying to do a write- up on the failed ride home. Will post it when it is done.

Brian

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #108 on: September 05, 2014, 10:07:47 PM »
Good read Brian.  :chugbeer: to you for your efforts. Do you still have Mr. Elk hoof.  ;D

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2014, 07:18:49 AM »
The better read was the one where I made it but that went in the great foumnami of 2011 :-(   

Have Mr. Elkhoof? Of course! He rides with me everywhere up on the top of the top box so he can enjoy the view. He is still making new friends.

Hanging out with Kirby....

By the way, this is a photo of me holding my Rye, NY and Ocean Shore, WA recipts outside of the store in Ocean Shore at the end of a coast- to- coast run (the successful one in just under 48 hours). The fatigue is obvious but I am standing on my hind legs like my ancestors :-)

Brian

Good read Brian.  :chugbeer: to you for your efforts. Do you still have Mr. Elk hoof.  ;D

Son of Pappy

« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2014, 11:36:08 AM »
For those interested in completing a CC50, I still have a couple hooves as a memento of the great event!!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2014, 06:01:50 AM »
For those interested in completing a CC50, I still have a couple hooves as a memento of the great event!!

It must be hard for you to find shoes that fit correctly eh?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2014, 11:09:28 AM »
It must be hard for you to find shoes that fit correctly eh?
Sandals.  Perfect for the Pacific and Atlantic sands ;D

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #113 on: September 08, 2014, 08:00:58 AM »
Do you still have Mr. Elk hoof.  ;D

Apparently Mr Elkhoof has become an almost indestructible chew toy.