Author Topic: Spring wake up call  (Read 1914 times)

Offline turnkey

• Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?
Spring wake up call
« on: May 16, 2011, 12:16:01 AM »
Ok.. this goes in the “please tell me im not the only one who has done this" file. Couple weeks ago I woke Conni from her winter slumber (course  following week it snowed!!) Anyway, last fall I did the normal pre-slumber check list just like I always do. So, I flip petcock to prime for a few seconds set the choke and hit the starter. Four cycles, and she stumbles to life.  ;D.  Taper off on the choke, idle settles down, then a few seconds later she starts to stumble then died. Hmmm odd. So I hit the starter again. She fires but wont run. Couple more tries, same result. Perplexed, I flip the petcock back and forth and take a look under the tank at the fuel filter, empty!! WTH!!! Open the gas cap and look inside. Empty!! Then it dawns on me. I hadda siphon out some gas for my house generator during a rather long power outage in January. Guess I drained a little to much from the ole’ girl.  Well dont I just feel like a genius!!  :banghead:  It’s amazing how well she runs with a full tank of gas! Just thought I'd share.  ;)
1998 Conni 55,000ish miles

Thank a Vet. They gave, so you have!!

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
Re: Spring wake up call
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 06:37:19 AM »
T.,
When you add your new fuel, add some Isoheat, Red bottle. If you had an empty tank in a non atmosphere controled garagem you probably had some condisation form inside the tank.
The Isoheat will help evap the water, and yoy might also need to dump the bowls on the carbs just for good measure. Good luck.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?